Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-21-2018, 07:22 PM   #1

New to Rving in 2014 26RLS Swift

My wife and I bought our first travel trailer this June. It's a 2014 Jayco Swift 265rls. We went about 4 or so times this season and each time we learned more what to do and what not to do. I still have some questions and hoping to maybe find some answers here. Thanks in advance for any and all help!

2 times we had full hook up so figured out the basics there, the last 2 times we had only electricity. We weren't sure where to hook the water up but the second time we figured it out I think, the potable water gets connected to the potable water spot on the outside which fills the fresh water tank? Then to drain it we flip the low point and fresh water tank valves on the underbelly?

This weekend I noticed that when the trailer isn't plugged in everything but the fridge, microwave and the outlets for 12v don't work, even if the trailer is plugged into my truck. They only all work if it's plugged into my house. Is this suppose to be or something a miss?

The water heater. how do I drain this when we done? I know there's a valve on the outside that I think releases pressure but is there more to it? There appears to be a drain plug in there too but I'm not sure I can get it out as it's pretty well in there. Second point of the water heater is winterizing. My dealer gave me a sheet on how to do it but it doesn't make sense to me. How do I bypass the water heater?

Lastly, under the sink by the water pump there appears to be a valve which leads into an antifreeze jug that the previous owner used for winterizing. I'm going to assume that placed a bottle of antifreeze in there and turned the valve on so the water pump pumped the antifreeze into the lines?
Devon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon B View Post
My wife and I bought our first travel trailer this June. It's a 2014 Jayco Swift 265rls. We went about 4 or so times this season and each time we learned more what to do and what not to do. I still have some questions and hoping to maybe find some answers here. Thanks in advance for any and all help!

2 times we had full hook up so figured out the basics there, the last 2 times we had only electricity. We weren't sure where to hook the water up but the second time we figured it out I think, the potable water gets connected to the potable water spot on the outside which fills the fresh water tank? Then to drain it we flip the low point and fresh water tank valves on the underbelly?

This weekend I noticed that when the trailer isn't plugged in everything but the fridge, microwave and the outlets for 12v don't work, even if the trailer is plugged into my truck. They only all work if it's plugged into my house. Is this suppose to be or something a miss?
If you're not plugged into shore power none of the 120V appliances will work (air conditioner, television sets, microwave, etc.). The frig and water heater will work on 12VDC and propane.

Quote:
The water heater. how do I drain this when we done? I know there's a valve on the outside that I think releases pressure but is there more to it? There appears to be a drain plug in there too but I'm not sure I can get it out as it's pretty well in there. Second point of the water heater is winterizing. My dealer gave me a sheet on how to do it but it doesn't make sense to me. How do I bypass the water heater?
Yes, that drain plug is used to drain the hot water heater. It may be plastic or it might be metal and if it's metal it may have an anode rod. The anode rod helps prevent the water tank from corroding and will eventually erode. If you do have a plug with an anode rod check the condition and replace it if much of the rod has eroded.

Quote:
Lastly, under the sink by the water pump there appears to be a valve which leads into an antifreeze jug that the previous owner used for winterizing. I'm going to assume that placed a bottle of antifreeze in there and turned the valve on so the water pump pumped the antifreeze into the lines?
Yes, there is a value near the water pump that allows the water pump to feed anti-freeze from the bottle of anti-freeze rather than trying to pump water from the fresh water tank. There should also be a bypass value allows you to put anti-freeze in the water lines without having to fill the hot water tank with anti-freeze (the water tank probably holds six gallons). You turn that bypass value so it blocks water from entering the water tank.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:57 PM   #3

Congratulations on your first trailer and welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:00 PM   #4

How do I bypass the water heater? Also is winterizing it that simple where I just need to bypass the waterheater and put a new bottle of antifreeze in and let the water pump pump it through all the lines (external, internal shower,sink, toilet and sink in bathroom)?
Devon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:35 PM   #5

This may help if you don’t already have the manual: https://www.jayco.com/files/download...lename_180.pdf
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote