Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-08-2021, 11:32 AM   #1

Outside Shower box busted

Hello all,
The latching mechanism snapped off and in my fevered rush to fix it (2 years after duct taping it!) I tried messing with it this weekend and the little nibs holding the door hinge busted off. Sooo... I need to replace this whole unit, and my question is after I remove the screws and scrape away the caulking, does the thing just pull out of the hole? I checked inside the camper and there is no access panel. Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
camper shower1.jpg  
3belkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 11:39 AM   #2

Hard to say exactly. It will be hard plumbed. Most likely it will not move much. Good chance the piping is in your bathroom under the sink. To access mine, I popped out the "false" panel under my sink, where I reach my hand in to access the low point drain valves. Then I can easily just reach in and unthread the fittings. Bad part, it is easiest to do on my TT, while laying on the floor.

FYI, I left the false panel out, much easier to access my low point drains, and it is now where I keep my cleaning chemicals.

On your unit, what is behind the shower unit? If we know what model # you have it would help.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 11:54 AM   #3

sorry, but not sure why my details don't show, but its a 2010 Jay Feather Sport
Old 03-08-2021, 11:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3belkhunter View Post
sorry, but not sure why my details don't show, but its a 2010 Jay Feather Sport
What model # Jay Sport? Looks like there are 3 of them on Jayco's website

Where is it located on the TT? What is on the other side of the wall?

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 03-08-2021, 11:59 AM   #5

I will check that but the sink is towards the middle right of the back wall (view from the inside) and the outside shower box is higher up, maybe 5 feet off the ground? and real close to the right side of the back trailer wall - if you're looking at the shower from the rear of the trailer
Old 03-08-2021, 12:02 PM   #6
Site Team

There's a chance the water lines to the faucet have some flexibility, and MAY move enough to allow you to get to the back of it. It depends on how the lines run behind it. If it were me, I'd give it a try, but only after making 100% sure I couldn't get to the back of it from inside.

I needed to replace the outside shower faucet diverter on our TT, and although I could see it from inside, getting to it was a challenge. I needed my elbow to bend the other way! If you're successful, make absolutely sure those connections don't leak before buttoning it up. The cone washers can be finicky.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 12:05 PM   #7

My apologies, but I did a VIN search and could not find more model research - 2010 Jay Feather Sport is all I know
Old 03-08-2021, 12:14 PM   #8

I need to replace mine as well, just that it is yellowed and brittle now (I rarely used it). I did a replacement on a coachmen RV many years back and that one looked like the same as on my Jayco (if I remember correctly), if so all that is needed is to take out the screws and at the back of the box there are two flexible water hose lines that screw into the faucet similar to attaching a water hose to a spigot. Very simple replacement. Also, you should get some RV butyl sealant for the new box if it isn't already included. ~CA
Old 03-08-2021, 12:15 PM   #9

There is a little coat closet and the back wall paneling is trimmed in with a longer wood piece that doesn't look like it was intended to be messed with... thanks.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:26 PM   #10

I did a little google searching and I am fairly sure you have a 199. That piece of interior trim will most likely need to be removed.

If you can post a few well lite images of the trim panel, might be able to give you some additional advice about out to gain access. If it is stapled in place the key is to go real slow and gentle, take your time. I have pulled many panels in my TT, go fast, pry to far and stress the panel it will snap and shred. I have not found a panel that was hard to pull, they just have a million staples in them.

https://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/...ther-sport-lw/

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 03-08-2021, 12:31 PM   #11

Thanks! It sure doesn't appear to me that access from the inside is obvious...
Old 03-08-2021, 12:34 PM   #12

I will take some more/better pictures and post in the morning - thanks!

As common as this shower box must be, I thought for sure there would be plenty of videos on line, but I could not find any that were on point... maybe I should post one!
Old 03-08-2021, 12:48 PM   #13

I did a quick amazon search as I need to replace mine as I mentioned above, what I found though is that you can also purchase a replacement door. So perhaps you could get some bleach water, clean your hose and sprayer up and simply replace the door cover. I will add that I found several different models, so you need to be sure to order the correct door for yours if you go down this road. This one appears similar to mine, but again, do your due diligence as there are different models of replacement doors on amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Dura-Faucet-L...50&sr=8-5&th=1
~CA
Old 03-08-2021, 12:57 PM   #14

thanks, but the latch the lock arm needs to secure behind is cracked and now the hinge is broken now as well.. plus it faces to the west and gets a lot of sun and heat so a new one is in order!
Old 03-08-2021, 01:08 PM   #15

Quote:
thanks, but the latch the lock arm needs to secure behind is cracked and now the hinge is broken now as well.. plus it faces to the west and gets a lot of sun and heat so a new one is in order!
I think a new one is best for sure. I would simply unscrew yours from the wall when the new one comes in, perhaps as I mentioned order some RV butyl putty stuff (if what you order doesn't come with it), and simply pull the entire box out about an inch and see if you can unscrew the connections on the back. I know I did that for my last RV and it was easy to do but I am not sure they all are the same and my last RV was not a Jayco (but the outside shower seemed to be the same, best of my memory).
Old 03-08-2021, 02:05 PM   #16

it there is not an access panel you need to make one you can get them a Varity of colors and sizes
Lowes, home depot, amazon etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Plumbing-Dryw...711812525&th=1
ggilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 02:25 PM   #17

It just pulls right out.

Do you have a picture of the inside, opposite where the shower is?
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 02:32 PM   #18

will take pictures tonight and post in the morning - thanks!
Old 03-08-2021, 04:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Hello all,
The latching mechanism snapped off and in my fevered rush to fix it (2 years after duct taping it!) I tried messing with it this weekend and the little nibs holding the door hinge busted off. Sooo... I need to replace this whole unit, and my question is after I remove the screws and scrape away the caulking, does the thing just pull out of the hole? I checked inside the camper and there is no access panel. Thanks in advance!
I just went out and looked at mine. I would pop the caps off the knobs,take Phillips head screw driver and remove the screws and pull the knobs off. I would also disconnect the hose, if the box comes out and leaves the faucet in place i think your good! Good Luck
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 04:32 PM   #20

Interesting, good suggestions, as usual!