Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-29-2017, 06:57 AM   #21

We've been fortunate with our tank sensors that they've stayed clean and working. But here's my 5 - 10 minute most dump station routine.

Hook up the sewer hose to the dump station, then dump station hose to the black tank flush on back of the TT. Open the black water tank valve (grey water tank valve closed) and flush the tank for a minute or two.. Shut the BT valve and then shut off the valve from the dump station hose.

Leaves about a gallon or two of water in the black tank. I throw in a deodorizer packet down the toilet and call it good. Drain & disconnect the sewer hose, put it away and we're back on the road.

NCMFFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 07:37 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
Goducks, Thanks. This was very educational. Don't want to hijack this thread but now I wonder how does the "installed" flush system in the Jayco actually work. Using mine, I could not get the sensors cleaned.
The water inlet is connected to a multi-directional sprayer inside the blank tank that sprays the water all around the inside of the tank. I do not think the pressure is enough on its own to dislodge hardened or sticky material.

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 07:57 AM   #23

I use the black tank internal sprayer that sprays water into my tank . It works fairly well.

But the best black tank cleaner I have found, which I have used on two fifth wheels, is the Heavy Duty Miracle Tank Slosher. The HDMTS takes several gallons of water, and repeatedly sloshes the interior of your tank as you drive. It works in a random fashion, to eventually slosh all of your tank interior with a couple of gallons of water. It tends to break up solids, and reduce any accretion of stuff on the tank walls.

All you do to install the HDMTS is to add several gallons of water to the tank after you dump, and drive your RV however far you are going to your next destination. Also, the addition of the couple of gallons of water makes it less likely that a PP (Poop Pyramid) will grow in your tank. Repeat after every dump. Just dump when your tank is almost full and never leave the black tank valve open when at a site with a sewer hookup; let your tank fill, then dump, and then add a couple of gallons of water.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 08:17 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifallsguy View Post
Make sure you close any gray water tank that is open BEFORE you open the black water tank. You don't want any chance of black water getting into those tanks. Also if you leave any tank valve open while parked and hooked to a sewer system, you run the risk of polluting the air with sewer gas going out through your venting system.

Been there and smelt that!
iFallsguy - Thanks- Will do! My first thought was the engineers at Jayco would have thought to design the piping so that the black tank was the last in line/closest to the dump valve to prevent any type of back flow issue. I didn't even consider a small "dip" in the hose outside the 5'r to adjust for that stinky smell from the sewer. Good info guys!
Old 09-29-2017, 10:08 AM   #25

Most of the state parks in my area only have a very short hose for rinsing hands off. Nothing to screw a hose to. This is one reason I prefer full hook-up if available. I also have a separate garden hose only used for flushing.
I use the wand (thru window into toilet) with valves closed, after I dump. Then I fill tank one time to get residual leftovers and dump again. I don't fill it back up 5 times and it only takes about 7 extra minutes.
I like the idea of putting rinse in for helping, will be sure to try they!!

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 12:18 AM   #26

Hey RVhiker curious about this tank slosher but can't seem to find any info do you have a link
Mt Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 12:21 AM   #27

Never mind I read the whole comment
Mt Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 06:25 AM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt Baker View Post
Never mind I read the whole comment
It's only a procedure. That's the best kind of mod. Doesn't cost a dime!

The black tank should always have a couple gallons of water added any time it is emptied.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 06:33 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegill1 View Post
I see 2018 Jayflights with the Elite package feature a "Black tank flush".
What exactly is this and how does it work?
Is it like a rotating wand inside the tank?
Is it a fixed wand?
Does it go into the tank or just in the discharge pipe?
For those that have it, does it work well?
Does it seem to help prevent the usual black tank clog?

I was poking around YouTube a few weeks ago looking for a video that explains the black tank flush check valve, because apparently it's something that goes bad sometimes and has to be replaced/bypassed, and I stumbled onto this video - . The guy is a bit dry but that video is very informative. Don't watch it while you're eating though, because - spoiler alert! - he finds the problem.
KillerIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:02 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
Heres a vid testing several black tank rinser's.
Interesting video, it taught me that my process for handling the tank is in fact a good one. I do have the flush line installed by Jayco and I use it. After draining the tanks to my satisfaction I put another 5 gallons of water back in the tank with a little Dawn dishwashing detergent. Then when we drive to our next destination the material is sloshes around inside of the tank and continues to break down any large pieces that did not flush out and prevents the material from being stored in the corners.

Upon set up at my next location the first thing I do is another drain and rinse and I have the Jayco flash system running while I’m draining. Additional matter always comes out.

Note that currently I am a full-time RV occupant traveling the country so the process as easy for me, your mileage may vary.
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 11:36 AM   #31

X2 on the "Sloshinator" method, a name coined by someone on this forum years ago. I find this is the only way to get my tanks clean enough for storage. I use the method towards the end of every one of our trips, and then for the 5 mile trip from our home to the storage lot.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 09:53 PM   #32

��. “Sloshinator”! ��. That’s a great word for it!
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 03:29 AM   #33

Quote:
Other have explained the process. After trying mine and still experienced problems with debris in the tank and false readings I purchased a Valtera Reverse RV Flush Valve https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Since I have used this I have had zero problems with false readings and after using it one time, refilled/dumped 3 times, I think I finally got the black tank cleaned.

One other suggestion: Put a radiator clamp around your hose bandit. Then you don't have to worry about holding it in place or having it pop off.
X2, tried this last trip and it worked well. I only use it to flush the gray tanks since the RV has two black water tank flush ports. Surprising what is still in the gray tank the second flush.
Old 10-19-2021, 05:35 AM   #34

I will fill the grey tank on the last day. When leaving, I'll drain the black. Filling the grey is usually on purpose. Then drain the grey behind it. This usually takes a good bit of time. After 10 minutes, I still have a trickle. Then I hook up the black tank flush and run it open for at least 10 minutes. The clear elbow at the CG drain tells me just how clean it actually is. If it runs 10 minutes and I'm still getting murky water, I run it a bit more. The idea is to get it as clean as possible short of dropping the tank and spraying it out. You're never gonna get it completely clean, but you'd be doing the best you can with what you have to work with. The grey doesn't have a flush but I've always thought they should. Grey tanks can get real nasty if you don't fill and flush and take care of them as much as you do with your black. The greys are filthy too, just a different kind of filthy. I've never had any smell problems doing it this way. I think we'd all be just a tad surprised to actually drop our tanks and saw exactly how dirty they still are, even after our best efforts.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 07:21 AM   #35

Quote:
Other have explained the process. After trying mine and still experienced problems with debris in the tank and false readings I purchased a Valtera Reverse RV Flush Valve https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Since I have used this I have had zero problems with false readings and after using it one time, refilled/dumped 3 times, I think I finally got the black tank cleaned.

One other suggestion: Put a radiator clamp around your hose bandit. Then you don't have to worry about holding it in place or having it pop off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
X2, tried this last trip and it worked well. I only use it to flush the gray tanks since the RV has two black water tank flush ports. Surprising what is still in the gray tank the second flush.
Check out this gismo, works great for flushing gray tanks
Old 06-19-2023, 03:32 PM   #36

Thanks. When I connect my hose to the black water flush nothing comes out. I turn the water on and nothing happens. I am suspecting that paper has clogged the sprayer to the point that water cant get through and the backwater valve then kicks in. Could this be the reason the no water is come out of the tank when I turn the flush on? Certainly open to other advice or recommendations!
Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote