Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-30-2018, 07:17 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnnew View Post
Does anyone run a Hughes Autoformer? I've been looking for an EMS and I was pretty set on the Progressive hardwired unit, and then I stumbled on the Hughes Autoformer. It appears that now the Hughes pretty much does what the Progressive unit does, but instead of shutting down in a low power situation it boosts power to keep running? Seems like a win-win to me. Giving the Hughes a hard look now. Curious if anyone is running one and can comment on how they like it?
Seems and expensive overkill to me. The few times you have low voltage, and typically only for a short period of time, to me, it's not worth the cost.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:12 AM   #22
Site Team

Do some reading on the Hughes autoformer before investing. Anytime you boost the power with your autoformer, someone else's power on the circuit is reduced.

I have been in cg's that would not allow a autoformer to be used.

I have camped in a lot of places over the years and never thought the trouble and expense was needed or worth it.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:42 AM   #23

Thanks for the input. Good information to chew on...

2001 Ford F-150 4x4 5.4

2012 Prime Time Tracer 2670BHS (sold)
2017 White Hawk 28DSBH (*Special Ordered w/ almost all the options in 10/16. Delivered on 5/19/17)
oldnnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:07 PM   #24

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:08 PM   #25

We are using the Progressive Industries model EMS-PT50X, so far we really like the unit.

Never have had to use it but we hear it's the best warranty in the industry.

Steve
Old 08-01-2018, 12:38 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Do some reading on the Hughes autoformer before investing. Anytime you boost the power with your autoformer, someone else's power on the circuit is reduced.

I have been in cg's that would not allow a autoformer to be used.

I have camped in a lot of places over the years and never thought the trouble and expense was needed or worth it.
First, I don't have an autoformer...

But consider that every time you turn on an electrical appliance in your RV you are reducing the power available to someone else on the circuit. Beyond that you have paid for a site with is suppose to provide a 30A or 50A electrical supply sufficient to run the appliances in your RV. That said I don't think the "taking from your neighbor" argument regarding running an autoformer is justified.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:04 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnnew View Post
Does anyone run a Hughes Autoformer? I've been looking for an EMS and I was pretty set on the Progressive hardwired unit, and then I stumbled on the Hughes Autoformer. It appears that now the Hughes pretty much does what the Progressive unit does, but instead of shutting down in a low power situation it boosts power to keep running? Seems like a win-win to me. Giving the Hughes a hard look now. Curious if anyone is running one and can comment on how they like it?
The Autoformer is another tool to have in your box if you want it (I have one). IMHO a EMS should be in all trailers. It can protect you from the things that can do major damage. I like and use the Progressive Industries Hardwired units. Rv Surge Protection | United States | Progressive Industries, Inc.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:14 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2naEagle View Post
The Autoformer is another tool to have in your box if you want it (I have one). IMHO a EMS should be in all trailers. It can protect you from the things that can do major damage. I like and use the Progressive Industries Hardwired units. Rv Surge Protection | United States | Progressive Industries, Inc.
I have a 2012 Jayco 321 RLTS 5th wheel. The power cord plugs onto a receptacle at the left rear of the trailer and the electrical panel is up front down low on the side of the sink cabinet. At first glance I don't see a way to hard wire in the Progressive HW50. I'll have to remove a panel from inside the basement storage compartment to get a better look but the panel is a pretty fair distance from the access door.
Has anyone installed one of these units in a trailer like this?
KWDAILYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:46 AM   #29

I have a Southwire Surge guard 34950 and have been pleased with it, enjoy looking at the amps display for each leg and voltage
Old 08-09-2018, 07:55 AM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWDAILYD View Post
I have a 2012 Jayco 321 RLTS 5th wheel. The power cord plugs onto a receptacle at the left rear of the trailer and the electrical panel is up front down low on the side of the sink cabinet. At first glance I don't see a way to hard wire in the Progressive HW50. I'll have to remove a panel from inside the basement storage compartment to get a better look but the panel is a pretty fair distance from the access door.
Has anyone installed one of these units in a trailer like this?
Your rig is close to mine. Try pulling out the drawers behind the converter. A PT 50 ems w/ remote display could be located back there on mine.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 08-09-2018, 12:50 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Your rig is close to mine. Try pulling out the drawers behind the converter. A PT 50 ems w/ remote display could be located back there on mine.
I pulled a couple of drawers like Norty suggests but couldn’t reall get access.

I also have a 351 and removed the rear wall in the basement to install the EMS. I bought a section of wire to avoid cutting the existing cable. It’s basically mounted under the 2nd or top step (don’t remember exactly, but there was plenty of room). I pulled the electric box to access the connection of the incoming power cable and connected my new cable in its place, then connecting the other end of my new cable and original cable to the EMS.

Other than wrestling the thick n stiff cable the hardest part was emptying the basement. I found plenty of room under the stairs in my unit and expect you will too.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:55 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
I pulled a couple of drawers like Norty suggests but couldn’t reall get access.

I also have a 351 and removed the rear wall in the basement to install the EMS. I bought a section of wire to avoid cutting the existing cable. It’s basically mounted under the 2nd or top step (don’t remember exactly, but there was plenty of room). I pulled the electric box to access the connection of the incoming power cable and connected my new cable in its place, then connecting the other end of my new cable and original cable to the EMS.

Other than wrestling the thick n stiff cable the hardest part was emptying the basement. I found plenty of room under the stairs in my unit and expect you will too.
Agree, there is a lot of empty space behind that partition and easy access to the converter. My rig has a pull out console where the drawers are. I have removed the whole thing and the hole was large enough for me to reach in.
Gator roll-up bed cover