Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-25-2024, 02:32 PM   #1

"Walkable Roof' ????

I just had to go up on the roof...only my second time. Don't ask why ...just know it is windy outside and I left something unsecured, in anticipation of work to be done, soon. How was I supposed to know today would be like a brisk Fall day, complete with super high wind gusts, here in CT.

I try to be careful and really only take a step or two then go to my knees and crawl.

Second step I heard a loud "POP!"

I was near the front seam above the bedroom. (22rb) After I came down, I went inside to see if there looked to be any changes to the ceiling. I didn't notice anything but my gosh! 'WALKABLE' in my mind is no longer what I thought it to be.

When you think about that roof, with its stated ability to withstand 4,500 pounds, then divide that number by square feet of the roof, each square foot really can't hold all that much. I do believe if I were the size of Sofia from The Golden Girls or a race horse jockey, I might be okay up there.
2023 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 2.7L EcoBoost, 4x4, 3.73 axle, #1900 payload #10,100 tow capacity.
JKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 02:52 PM   #2

You will find multiple posts and threads about walking on the roof without issue. Whatever you had happen is the exception.
Old 03-25-2024, 03:33 PM   #3

Jay FEATHER. It's a light weight model. I don't know about your roof, but my Jayflight has handled my 250 lbs just fine. I was recently up there cleaning and recaulking without issue. When you buy a lightweight trailer, they make it light by using smaller and lighter materials.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 05:41 PM   #4
CAG

I hesitate making this comment but in-fact it probably needs to be said and without trying to demean anyone.

Roofs were made to hold people who, in the 60-70 were slim and trim. Many are not that today. Airplane seats are too small, we have to push the car seat back more because our belly gets in the way, so climbing on a roof that was designed for a person of 170 lbs (yes, that is me today and proud of it) is not the norm.

So, if you are still there and the roof buckled, there is a warranty issue, but if the ladder creaks as you climb to the roof..well, don't go after a warranty claim.

Sorry if that is too direct.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 05:41 PM   #5

Jayco's 'Walkable Magnum Truss Roof' is the same across several (if not all their models) including the Jay Feather. Jay Feather has laminated decking vs. plywood. Jayco uses laminated on other models as well.

I'm pushing a 240, solid gal over here. I guess I'm just gonna have get used to the feeling and sounds, underfoot.

Apologies to moderator and thank you for my title 'correction' written during a moment of angst.
2023 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 2.7L EcoBoost, 4x4, 3.73 axle, #1900 payload #10,100 tow capacity.
Old 03-25-2024, 06:31 PM   #6
Site Team

No apology is necessary. But th'angst anyway.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 08:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKyle View Post
Jayco's 'Walkable Magnum Truss Roof' is the same across several (if not all their models) including the Jay Feather. Jay Feather has laminated decking vs. plywood. Jayco uses laminated on other models as well.

I'm pushing a 240, solid gal over here. I guess I'm just gonna have get used to the feeling and sounds, underfoot.

Apologies to moderator and thank you for my title 'correction' written during a moment of angst.
While I avoid going upon the roof as much as possible, sometimes it’s necessary. I’m about 185 stretched out at 6-6, so I normally will crawl on hands and knees, rather than walk it upright. Much more comfortable and spreads the weight out a bit more. I’ve read of owners using thin plywood or similar to also spread their weight over the trusses. Just be careful that the wood edges are clean and smooth and no slivers. Just a couple of thoughts…
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 08:19 PM   #8

Didn’t use the on rig ladder. Used my own Little Giant. I’m not embarrassed about my weight, as proud humans come in all different sizes. As far as the roof goes, they call it walkable, but without a weight rating. Why weight rate the ladder and not the roof for walking, vs ‘load,’ I wonder?

I have made the decision to do what I can to help keep me off the roof as much as possible. I’m going to Eternabond my roof edges and around any fixtures before the end of this season. I’ll still need to inspect, but at least, after it’s sealed, I won’t need to go up and stay up, too long.

My electrician is a nice, skinny guy. He’ll have the honor of going up on the roof this weekend to install my SofrStartRV. ��
Old 03-26-2024, 05:52 AM   #9

You can always use a walk board, 1/2 or 3/4 plywood 12" x 48" or so and when you go to move it just be sure you're standing on a joist. Several people have done that.
Old 03-26-2024, 06:40 PM   #10

Last week, my first time up on the roof, I planned my ascent and how I’d transfer tools and my kneeling surface. This time was not a planned trip. My AC shroud was displaced due to high wind gusts and I needed to get up there to fix it. Earlier last week
I’d accessed the AC for SoftStartRV but realized my unit was not what I anticipated based on instruction I had studied. I reassembled it loosely in anticipation of my electrician coming 2 days later, but it ended up pouring down rain that day, so we made a new date. Unfortunately unusual and unexpected wind picked up and took my shroud cover. So, I had to get back up there and put it back on.

I’m wondering if that pop was a portion of roof cover separating from the plywood? I don’t know, but I do know I’m never going back up there without some sort of walk board.
Old 03-26-2024, 07:50 PM   #11
Site Team

If I need more than a couple of tools that I put in a back pocket, I put everything in a 5-gallon bucket, tie a rope to the handle and go up with the other end in hand. Then I can pull the bucket up.

You could do similar with the board Grumpy mentioned. A hole drilled in one end to tie a rope through and pull that up too.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 07:58 PM   #12

I've heard of people using foamboard insulation, the really firm stuff rather than plywood. Less danger of sharp edges and splinters. It doesn't spread the weight as much, but it does a bit. I've also heard of people using a backpack to bring up their tools if it is more than a handful.

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 04:12 AM   #13

JFlight. Ha! That is exactly what I dd for my first ascent. I had a 3 gallon bucket, tied the rope filled it, then pulled/dropped it up/down.

I try to be safe and cautious. I plan things that might otherwise hurt me. Working with the table saw, certain cuts, etc. and now ascending the camper.

Good idea with the board, too. Thanks!
Old 03-27-2024, 01:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
You can always use a walk board, 1/2 or 3/4 plywood 12" x 48" or so and when you go to move it just be sure you're standing on a joist. Several people have done that.
Or use two boards. That's what I did when I resealed my patio roofed with corregated PVC panels. I could work on one and move the other to the next area. Basically, like snowshoes. Hmm...
FISTEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 04:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by colby View Post
I've heard of people using foamboard insulation, the really firm stuff rather than plywood. Less danger of sharp edges and splinters. It doesn't spread the weight as much, but it does a bit. I've also heard of people using a backpack to bring up their tools if it is more than a handful.
That foam board is a great idea. I several squares of it.
Old 03-30-2024, 12:22 PM   #16

I wish these RV forums had "like" buttons as other forms of social media do. I saw several comments above that I liked, but it's too cumbersome to reply to each with even a brief "love this comment" response.
Finally Able is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 12:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally Able View Post
I wish these RV forums had "like" buttons as other forms of social media do. I saw several comments above that I liked, but it's too cumbersome to reply to each with even a brief "love this comment" response.
Yeah, and not to mention that vBulletin is sooooooo outdated!!

There are some way better forum software available now.
Old 03-30-2024, 01:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKyle View Post
That foam board is a great idea. I several squares of it.
Foam board is too flexible. It will only distribute the force over a slightly larger area. Think of it this way: take two foot squares of foam board and plywood. Put your fingers under the edge of each and have a friend step on the middle of the squares. The one that hurts the most is doing a better job of distributing the force over a greater area.
And like I said, you really want it to be a friend that puts their foot on the board.

If you're worried about the edges of the plywood, you could sand them smooth or maybe cover the contact side with carpet or cloth.
FISTEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 01:54 PM   #19

I second the comment about crawling around on your hands and knees to help distribute the weight, plus I think it's a little safer. Chances are you are going to have to get down on your hands and knees to perform whatever task you are up there for. Whenever possible, I try working off my aluminum extension ladder around the edges. I can reach most of the penetrations except the A/C.
Old 03-30-2024, 02:33 PM   #20

My little light 16XRB will hold my 220# walking on it, but I don't like to. I set the stabilizer jacks firmly before I go up there. It creaks sometimes, but has never made a breaking or cracking sound. Checking out the roof by the skylight or other inner-roof access points gives an indication how it is built. And falling from the roof onto the concrete pad at my age is the last fall, so I go up there only as needed, on hands and knees as much as possible, and very cautious with every move.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote