Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-20-2015, 10:13 PM   #31

Do I pull batteries when they are on charger

I have a 2008 24RKS in all but new condition and new to me this summer. It is parked in my back yard in Salt Lake where the temps get down to 10 degrees.

a) Do I remove the batteries if the trailer and charger are plugged into the house?

b) For protecting the fresh water lines from freezing, I don't like putting in antifreeze and my previous trailer of 18 years did not ever get it and was fine. I can taste the antifreeze after it has been flushed. Can I just blow it out with a compressor and open all low point drains? Then pour A/F into the drains? Previous owner had the antifreeze hose intake installed at the pump but I am not sure if I want to use them.

---------------------------------------------
2001 Yukon 5.3L with Bilstein auto level shocks
2008 Jayco 24RKS
1996 Aerolite 21RBS - For Sale

marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:15 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbles View Post
I have a 2008 24RKS in all but new condition and new to me this summer. It is parked in my back yard in Salt Lake where the temps get down to 10 degrees.

a) Do I remove the batteries if the trailer and charger are plugged into the house?

b) For protecting the fresh water lines from freezing, I don't like putting in antifreeze and my previous trailer of 18 years did not ever get it and was fine. I can taste the antifreeze after it has been flushed. Can I just blow it out with a compressor and open all low point drains? Then pour A/F into the drains? Previous owner had the antifreeze hose intake installed at the pump but I am not sure if I want to use them.

---------------------------------------------
2001 Yukon 5.3L with Bilstein auto level shocks
2008 Jayco 24RKS
1996 Aerolite 21RBS - For Sale

If it were me, I'd pull the batteries and keep them indoors. Even on a charger, the battery can weaken from extreme cold temps. Just my opinion.

As far as winterizing, I hear blowing the lines out good should suffice. Although I've never taken this approach with my PUP. This is the first year for the trailer I have now so I'll be putting AF in the lines...like I did with my PUP. If it is done correctly and de-winterized properly, you SHOULDN'T have residue from the antifreeze. Open the low point drains and drain the system completely (HWH, tanks, etc.). You shouldn't have to put AF in the HWH or the tanks. If drained good, there should be plenty of room for expansion of frozen residual water in the HWH and tanks. Keep the AF within the lines only. As well as in the toilet bowl and P traps.

Again, just my opinions. Good luck to you!

Equal-I-Zer™ WDH
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:28 AM   #33

I have a 2012 Jay Series Pop-Up. This is our 2nd summer with it. Live in Minnesota, where we get below zero temps from time to time, so must protect it from the cold! I have an issue with the water pump (possibly) when I try to winterize...

Every site I look at for winterizing, shows using maybe 2 gallons of AF. Hook the bottle to the water pump via the clear hose, etc… But, when I do this, I am not able to get the pink AF to come through my sink or shower. Water pump pulls in a small amount of pink AF, but not enough to get to the sink.
Last year, I had to fill the FWT with AF and pull the AF to the sink with the water pump that way.

Is there anything I am missing in regards to using the water pump (and hose)? Water pump seems to work fine during the summer w/ water.
Any advice would be appreciated!
scottriggs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:44 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottriggs6 View Post
I have a 2012 Jay Series Pop-Up. This is our 2nd summer with it. Live in Minnesota, where we get below zero temps from time to time, so must protect it from the cold! I have an issue with the water pump (possibly) when I try to winterize...

Every site I look at for winterizing, shows using maybe 2 gallons of AF. Hook the bottle to the water pump via the clear hose, etc… But, when I do this, I am not able to get the pink AF to come through my sink or shower. Water pump pulls in a small amount of pink AF, but not enough to get to the sink.
Last year, I had to fill the FWT with AF and pull the AF to the sink with the water pump that way.

Is there anything I am missing in regards to using the water pump (and hose)? Water pump seems to work fine during the summer w/ water.
Any advice would be appreciated!

Are your faucets open or closed? The reason I ask is, I left them open when I had my PUP. I'm not sure if the lift pump wasn't strong enough or what but I had the same problem with my Coleman. I would have them closed and tried winterizing it that way per instructions and the AF never made it up to the faucets. I opened them with the pump running and they'd eventually get pink running through. Not sure if that is the reason with yours. You could always HAND pump it through the system as well.
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH
Old 10-21-2015, 09:10 AM   #35

Winterizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
Are your faucets open or closed? The reason I ask is, I left them open when I had my PUP. I'm not sure if the lift pump wasn't strong enough or what but I had the same problem with my Coleman. I would have them closed and tried winterizing it that way per instructions and the AF never made it up to the faucets. I opened them with the pump running and they'd eventually get pink running through. Not sure if that is the reason with yours. You could always HAND pump it through the system as well.
I will check again to be sure.

I believe I started the process with the WP on (with the hose in the AF jug), and with the faucets off. Then, I turned the faucets on (and, nothing came out).

I will try it with the WP on and faucets on (and, leave them on for a bit).

Thanks, TWP723!
scottriggs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:19 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottriggs6 View Post
I will check again to be sure.

I believe I started the process with the WP on (with the hose in the AF jug), and with the faucets off. Then, I turned the faucets on (and, nothing came out).

I will try it with the WP on and faucets on (and, leave them on for a bit).

Thanks, TWP723!

Yeah man! Good luck. Let me know if it works!

Equal-I-Zer™ WDH