Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-27-2023, 11:49 AM   #1

Smile crankshaft bit adapter to raise popup

Hi there-I'm having some trouble finding a drill bit adapter to raise my 2016 Jayco SD10 instead of cranking it up manually-thought I'd reach out in this great forum too. I've a DeWalt DCF885 1/4" impact driver. I noticed many have made their own. One of the main reasons is that I am up there in age, anything that's easier works for me-and trying to avoid buying a pricy electrical lift. Thank you in advance!
tinypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 12:10 PM   #2

I am not sure what you would need exactly, however I purchased one of these for my spare tire hoist that has a non-conventional rectangular head on the shaft used to raise and lower the tire. I had considered just tack welding a .5" nut on the shaft and use a socket but this purchase was easier for me and works well. I suspect something like this may work for your needs as well.

BTW, I wouldn't use an impact of any type for raising your popup, instead I would use a low speed high torque screw gun or similar. ~CA
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  
Old 12-27-2023, 01:51 PM   #3

Hi tinypop

Just some FYI. Your pictures did not make it to the website. If you are using a desktop computer then choose "Go Advanced" from below where you enter your comment and then choose "Manage Attachments" which should popup a window where you can choose the images you wish to attach to your message.

Some impact drills have the ability to turn off the impact hammering action, most do not have that ability though. It is the hammering aspect that can be damaging. ~CA
Old 12-27-2023, 02:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Hi tinypop
Some impact drills have the ability to turn off the impact hammering action, most do not have that ability though. It is the hammering aspect that can be damaging. ~CA
X-2 And in my experience, you'll need a 1/2" drill to get enough torque to raise the roof.
Old 12-27-2023, 05:41 PM   #5

Thanks Craigav-yeah I'm on a laptop-I tried attaching photos several times, changed files from heic to jpeg-emailed main forum site for help-haven't heard back-just realized they are too large but don't quite know how to decrease their size-I'll google how to and will keep trying.
Sounds like I need to get another drill Grumpy-gotta research that too. Any suggestions on which drill to get? Oh boy.
Old 12-27-2023, 06:13 PM   #6

Here are the photos!
first photo is from a video-someone made her own adapter.
the other is the crank handle I am trying to replace with a customized (?) drill bit.
ty!!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1551.jpg   IMG_1552.jpg  
Old 12-27-2023, 06:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinypop View Post
Here are the photos!
first photo is from a video-someone made her own adapter.
the other is the crank handle I am trying to replace with a customized (?) drill bit.
ty!!
Your first image looks exactly like the adapter and socket I shared an image of earlier Check out the following link for more details. Also, I am not necessarily recommending this exact one and instead I would look at the reviews and prices. I would also check the size that you need, this one is able to handle up to 3/4" which may be enough if the shaft is that size or less. ~CA

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also just FYI of what I do for images. I display the image on my screen, then press the "Windows" key on the keyboard and type in and run "Snipping Tool", choose the area on the screen I want an image of with the mouse which when releasing the mouse captures the image, then from the menu choices you will see once the image is captured, I choose File Save As and normally just use the default name in my "images folder" and then I attach the saved image here in my comment with the method I shared earlier.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  
Old 12-28-2023, 07:59 PM   #8

Hi Craigav,
Thanks again for your help.
The photo I posted isn't quite exactly like the one you posted-I guess it's hard to see. The video was made 6 years ago-she actually cut part of the crank handle and then bought a 1" adapter to fit in her drill. I'd prefer not to do this if possible.
I'm hoping a Universal Socket Adapter you suggested with my drill will be enough to raise the trailer top. Did I mention I have a huge A/C on the roof? The person in the video also recommended a drill handle attachment for stability?
I do have a DeWalt 20V 1/2" cordless-hope it'll have enough torque.
At this point, I will purchase the Universal Socket Adapter (it is certainly affordable with worth a try) and give it a whirl when the weather clears.