Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-31-2023, 11:41 AM   #1

Roof restore - best Paint suggestion please

Restoring the roof of our Carninal 6 SD Designer series, and am now down to choosing which paint to finally cover it all with.
I would like to get a paint match color from the fiberglass sidewalls so it really looks nicely done.
I mixed paint at our store growing up, so I think we can hit the color fairly close, but what type of paint would be what I am looking for. And I have done some spraying of paint for home exterior / interiors, but I am just really considering rolling/brushing it on, unless convinced otherwise.
Previous owner had put a descent color choice paint overtop their disaster work, and I don't have time to strip that all off, although the seams are down to clean metal. So it's not going to look brand new from factory, but it needs a good coat something durable for weather as we live in a desert, but it will be fully covered with a high quality full cover when not in use.
Note: not considering any of the rubber type products that seem popular for "sealing" and water proofing RVs as 1) all the seals are being done with 3M 5200 permanent seal seawater below water hull product which nothing can match it. 2) I've torn end caps and centerline apart, arduously removed all the crap previous owners have literally dumped on the roof, and we are down to bare metal for the 3M product to seal in dual layers (sheet surface to layering sheet/end caps + joining cap metal below and overtop each retaining bolt) 3) I constructed a layered bowed centerline board for the center of the roof that is screwed tight from inside and over top with joining metal cap.
Fast Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 12:17 PM   #2

I don't have your model, and I'm not sure if your top is fiberglass. But I've painted the fiberglass roof of our Greyhawk - twice. Used Sherwin Williams exterior the first time and it stayed down and looked great for a couple of years. The only reason I repainted this year was to go with Ultra White to try to keep the sun heating down. I picked Behr exterior. And, it too looks fine. Dunno if this helps.
Old 04-19-2024, 05:49 AM   #3

If fiberglass , this is what was recommended to me
https://dicorproducts.com/product/fi...ss-clean-prep/
https://dicorproducts.com/product/fi...-roof-coating/
Bols2daWaLL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, restore, roof