Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-07-2023, 12:36 PM   #1

Roof sides rebuild now not closing correctly

New to the site! Thankful for a place for all of us.

Ok...I need some advice. I have an ‘85 Jayco J Series 1008 that I have had for years. The sides of the roof had gotten rotten at the latches and wouldn’t latch very tight anymore. I decided it was time to rebuild the just the sides.

Of course, when I tear into it I realize the back and front pieces had some rot as well. So I just decided to go ahead and replace all the sides of the roof. The roof itself still in great shape and has never leaked. I replace the left side, the rear and the front. I even used the previous boards to trace my pattern exactly on the new boards. Cut them to fit and they all fit perfectly in the space they were cut for with the tin and all.

I reattached my metal risers, and wanted to check that side to see that it would lower all the way down before I started tearing out the final right side. It did close all the way down on the left side I had already replaced in the front AND in the back but was sticking out about 1”-1 1/4” in the back and therefore not aligning correctly even though up to that point everything had gone perfectly and looked awesome...just hangs out.

Any advice on what could have happened and what I can do to correct it? Sorry in advance this was so long-winded….just trying to provide all the details. I know that has happened to some of you in the past because I have read about it but unfortunately I didn’t read that closely because at the time it didn’t relate to me. I didn’t take any pictures but I can if needed.

Thanks in advance!
Outdoor Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 07:19 AM   #2

Can i ask what kind of wood and glue you used for the front roof board ? I have a rotten one also . Was it hard to remove the old wood from the outer skin ? Thanks
Bols2daWaLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 08:56 AM   #3

@outdoor guy - do you have any pictures you could provide?
So, your left side and front are exactly lining up just as it did before the work?
Did you mark your roof mounts as per the previous mount holes in the boards you removed?
Could it be a different angle of back board you employed vs original? Most are tilted with a flair out on the lower section vs the top.
One thing I desperately wish some ex Jayco designer would do would be to release the blue prints of all of their units say earlier than 2010. I have a '94 designer series on which I am "fixing" the roof but exact dimensions would be most helpful.
But I suppose there are so many variants of each model line in each year that may be a daunting task, but many thing should be equal year over year as the basics of model lines remain constant for a few years at least.
Please show some pics and lets see how we can help more.
Fast Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote