Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-29-2017, 09:36 PM   #1

We got it! Now I need to figure out how to park it!

Picked up a 2017 12SC over the weekend. My small Tacoma did a great job getting it home. Then the driveway turned on us. I have a long steep driveway. I'm not sure about the grade but it's pretty steep. I tried backing in and just before the grade changed the bottom of the tongue jack scrapes the ground. I pulled out and came at it from an angle this time driving forward. I have a little bit of a yard to move around in but I got stuck on the grass before I could turn and get it in the driveway using a circle technique. I wound up backing it onto the street and drove it forward up the driveway. I unhitched and wiggled the truck out of the driveway and parked behind the PUP. My partner used the yard and parked her car in front of the PUP so she'll have to bank around it until I figure out a solution.

Everything is in the driveway but it's in the wrong order! I have some ideas but I'd like to see what others think so i don't continue rambling.

Thanks for any opinions.
MrEvolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:34 AM   #2
Site Team

Change is always a challenge.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:37 AM   #3
Site Team

How about a few pictures? Will help a little...

Don

My Registry
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:28 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
My neighbour has the same issue with his Kiwi, so what he did was bought a 2X8 or 10, can't remember, cut it in 2 and use them as ramps to get over the dip in the curb .... although we have the luxury of living on a court where there is 0 traffic, and he can back str8 in
Old 01-30-2017, 09:52 AM   #5

That may work. I'll search my basement for scrap wood and see what I can do. Thank you
Old 01-30-2017, 02:36 PM   #6

You said you "tongue jack" hit the driveway correct? Id so is it fully retracted so that it is about level with your hitch if possible. I had that problem with the rear of my camper and I put wheels on it to allow it to roll over the high spot. They also make wheels for tongue jacks.
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:03 PM   #7

I have the tongue jack wheel that came with it. I need to get a leveling jack so I can get the wheel on. Can I drive that little bit of space with the little wheel on it. Will it affect the TV or TT by "lifting" it like that?

it is fully retracted btw
Old 01-31-2017, 07:09 AM   #8

We used the trailer front wheel to move ours around to fit into a tight space. We also used this dolly to move into its parking spot under the cover.

600 lb. Heavy Duty Trailer Dolly

The only issue we had with the dolly was we had to add air to the tires when we needed to move it but solved it by adding solid rubber tires to it.

Hope this helps.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEvolution View Post
Picked up a 2017 12SC over the weekend. My small Tacoma did a great job getting it home. Then the driveway turned on us. I have a long steep driveway. I'm not sure about the grade but it's pretty steep. I tried backing in and just before the grade changed the bottom of the tongue jack scrapes the ground. I pulled out and came at it from an angle this time driving forward. I have a little bit of a yard to move around in but I got stuck on the grass before I could turn and get it in the driveway using a circle technique. I wound up backing it onto the street and drove it forward up the driveway. I unhitched and wiggled the truck out of the driveway and parked behind the PUP. My partner used the yard and parked her car in front of the PUP so she'll have to bank around it until I figure out a solution.

Everything is in the driveway but it's in the wrong order! I have some ideas but I'd like to see what others think so i don't continue rambling.

Thanks for any opinions.
When we had our pop-up, we had a similar predicament towing with a Tacoma. I tried backing in up a small hill and wasn't having any luck. So I pulled in forward, driving up a little country lane and into our narrow driveway next to the garage. Once pulled in to the back yard, we disconnected the pop-up and pushed it by hand to the side of the truck. I would then back the truck out of the way. We could then maneuver the pop-up around to be ready for hitching up again on the next outing. It wasn't a big deal after we did it a couple times. Happy camping!
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:10 AM   #10

I had a similar issue with my enclosed trailer. I keep a hitch with less of a drop just for backing my trailer into the driveway.
jgerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEvolution View Post
I have the tongue jack wheel that came with it. I need to get a leveling jack so I can get the wheel on. Can I drive that little bit of space with the little wheel on it. Will it affect the TV or TT by "lifting" it like that?

it is fully retracted btw
Yes it will lift to so you would have to be careful backing up over that area. Also has been said use a hitch with a smaller drop. This may cause the back of the trailer to drop lower moving the problem. You will have to find the balance to use.
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:10 PM   #12

Just wanted to update everyone in case you're interested. I hooked up the tt to the tv. I jacked up the tt just enough to get the hitch wheel on. I backed down the driveway. I turned the whole rig around and backed in. The setup wasn't real happy with me and made a little noise but we got up and in and now everything is parked where I want it. Maiden voyage is in two weeks!