Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-05-2013, 12:46 PM   #11
I just went to Camping World today and bought $170 worth of stuff for the camper. The membership would have saved me $37 and the membership costs $25 so I saved $12 on my first visit.

rcase13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #12
In the past I have had the following memberships: Good Sam, KOA, AAA. I have now eliminated the camping specific memberships, I maintain my AAA because most Good Sam parks honor AAA with the same discount, KOA parks are specific, but I only stay at them once about every 3rd year, most my camping is with state parks, national forests and national parks, and whenever possible we boondock, that is by far our favorite and comes at the best prices.

KOA is fine, but pricey, and not everywhere you want them
Good Sam is fine, but mostly too commercial for what I want.
AAA works for the discounts in a lot of places, and offers the other advantages of the AAA membership, no I have not yet added the RV to my AAA, someday maybe

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:54 PM   #13
We have both Good Sam and KOA. Not sure that I will renew Good Sam when it comes up. Camping World seems to have taken over running Good Sam and it seems to me like Camping World's "discounted price" is about what every one else charges to anyone who walks in the door. CW does have about everything one might need. It probably depends on the area you camp, but in 5 years of membership we have only stayed at one Good Sam Park. We have taken advantage of the insurance discount.

We stay at a lot of KOA's for overnight stays while traveling. We know what to expect and have never found a bad one. That said, some are nicer than others. We do not often use KOA's as destinations and usually look at Woodall's listings and ratings for campgrounds in an area that we want to spend some time in. The Woodall's I-phone App is free and somewhat better than the Good Sam app.

John & Nancy
Jay Feather 25Z 2007
Ford F-150 XLT 5.4 Triton 2008
TeamFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #14
Thanks for all the responses, good info. We decided to upgrade our AAA membership and add the RV. It's a year commitment, so we'll see how it goes. Now that Camping World and Good Sam are one and the same and since they are offering a new member special we are probably going to join for a year...seems to make sense to try it. Most of our camping will be in state and national parks and we are very interested in boondocking. We are camping in the driveway this next week for 2 nights and then off to South Carolina for our maiden voyage.

Hey Flyrotor, are you a rotor head?
Jma3910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:03 PM   #15
Originally Posted by Jma3910 View Post
Hey Flyrotor, are you a rotor head?
Not technically, I am a paramedic with an air ambulance service, so I fly in helicopters quit often.

...it's kind of like staying at Holiday Inn Express...

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:32 AM   #16
I agree with rbrumfield. I've done the same with AARP and it does work sometimes, even at stores. AARP is discount card you can check. The private campground that I go to didn't accept it a few years ago, before I was eligible to have it, but they gave me a 10% discount anyway. They accept AARP now, but I get a bigger discount by staying 6 nights and getting the 7th night free.
I don't need a map, my wife is always telling me where to go.
yooperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #17
We were with Thousand Trails several years back when our kids were small. We just rejoined with a Zone Camping Pass offering us parks in OR, WA, & one in Canada. Got it on sale for under $500 and that gives us 30 nights camping for a year and just $3 per night for any nights beyond that. We like the pools, security, clubhouses and such. That works out to around $15 a night...couldnt be happier. And regarding insurance....USAA hands down if you are former military.

Never live your life saying 'I could of, should of, would of'
2014 Jayco White Hawk 30DSRE
2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 LS
Z71 Extended Cab w/Longbed, 5.3 ltr

Coleman Tent, Flagstaff Pop-Up, Jayco Eagle, Flagstaff Pop-Up, RPM Toy Hauler, Jayco White Hawk - Our camping evolution
stjohneyre is offline   Reply With Quote