Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-06-2014, 11:33 AM   #31
I bought our 198RD on the principle of having all the amenities of a big trailer but keeping it easy to tow (since all our trips include towing the unit) and easy to squeeze into the smaller campsites down by the waterfront if needed. I would have bought a smaller trailer but needed those beautiful 6'9 ceilings inside! A lot of parks around here use 20' as the cutoff for the smaller sites, so we have either option.

Our trailer has the same size tanks, awning, fridge, AC, furnace, shower, etc. as the larger ones in our line, so other than length we didn't sacrifice much. Our dinette and sofa convert into beds, providing the same sleeping accommodation for kids as a BH model but our space is multi-purpose rather than dedicated beds. We don't have a slide, but I wouldn't have opted for one in a longer unit anyways - just not interested in the potential problems, maintenance, extra set-up, and space restriction while the slide is in. I'm sure lots of others will disagree, but it's just not my cup of tea.

When we camp, the idea is to spend as much time outside and out doing things as possible, and having the trailer to keep warm, dry, and secure when needed. For a young couple with no kids yet, it was a perfect fit and allowed us to sleep kids in the future quite easily. For now, the hypothetical kids' bed is occupied by our 85lb Rottweiler who is spoiled Rotten (pun intended).

Added note: my old F150 4.6 worked harder than I thought to pull this thing, so I now have a '13 EcoBoost MaxTow CrewCab 6.5' bed in the driveway... rated to pull 11,100lbs so I'm sure my 4200lb trailer will cooperate! YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MUCH TRUCK

SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:23 PM   #32
Think it is related to how many people, what you intend to do (seasonal vs travelling), and what your needs are. Everyone is an individual. I tow a 21 foot self contained Jayco Skylark. We are only two people, we carry only what we need, and seldom stay more than one or two nights at once place. We usually do two outings a year for about 4 to six weeks in length. Look at what fits your needs, what you are comfortable with towing or driving, Find a floorplan that you like and really look at the unit carefully. So easy to overlook certain things. Good luck with your puchase and happy camping.

rog4kneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:33 AM   #33
We bought a second-hand (like new) 2008 197. Traded it off for a new 2012 197 with a pull-out. HUGE difference in the interior! Much, much better floor plan, and no bunk over the big bed to bash your head on. The 197 pulls easy, easy to park. Power awning is also a neat item. I could have made an award winning video of me trying to roll that stupid manual awning back up on the older 197.

I am satisfied with this trailer. We pulled it to Whitehorse, YT, from east of Regina, SK this past summer, and had a ball. Just the `Boss`and I, so no worries about Rover or Fifi. We plan to get more use from it this summer, now that we have sort got the hang of trailering-camping.
2012 Jay Feather 197 w/pull-out
1997 GMC Sub 1500 4x4;
or 2015 Ford F150 4x4 SuperCrew EB
kjohn73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:53 AM   #34
We loved our 26BH TT when we purchased it, then the family grew and it seemed to shrink. Do I reget buying the 26BH, not really, we still really like it ... however I just sold it, took a pretty big hit from depreciation and now we are looking for a new unit.

Our 26BH was our first step into RVs, at the time "we didn't know what we didn't know" and didn't have as capable of a TV. Now we are taking alot more care in selecting a floorplan. But its the same issue everyone has, balancing floor plan & exterior length vs where we like to camp. At 35' (32xxx class TT) we get everything we want inside, but it essentially prevents a couple of spots we have traditionally camped. 33' (29xxx class) seems like a nice compromise but then we fear we will regret losing some interior features, mainly wardrobe and pantry space. If only the 29QBH had an outside bathroom door :-( I think the would be the one, without it we are now seriously considering 32BHDS.
2007 Chevy Duramax LMM/Allison
2012 Jay Flight 29QBH
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:57 AM   #35
Over 30 years we have gone from 19 to 39 feet. Would I go back? Yes and no. On the yes side, I don't care about the size of my camper as long as I am not late for supper and have a bed to sleep in and the fishing is good. And the shorter rigs fit most campsites where the longer ones are limited. On the No side of things, the wife says she likes the extra room. So I leave the reservations side of camping to her and I drive and she finds us good camp sites. The real answer is I can't go back.
No man has a good enough memory to be a successful liar. Abraham Lincoln

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:04 PM   #36
14 years ago we bought a 26ft bunkhouse w/ 1 slide because the grand kids wanted to go with us. Well, that lasted exactly 2 years. Bought a 29ft Flagstaff front kitchen model. 2 years ago, went to the Indy RV show and she saw the Jayco 320 RLDS, [bedroom/dining slides] and loved the additional space in the bedroom with full closet and dresser. [our current unit]. In 5 days, we are returning to the RV Show because she wants to look at 3 slided TT's. Sheeeez!. I wouldn't mind downsizing a little, but she loves the space and amenities of the larger units. I must have the ability to fish where we camp as well. I'm currently in the market for a fishing kayak [great for flyfishing] that I can put in the back of the truck. A golf course nearby wouldn't hurt either.
2012 Eagle 320 RLDS
2012 Ford F-250 Crew Cab FX4, 6.7l PSD
3.55 E-locker, Timbrens
TCNASHVILLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:10 PM   #37
Started tent camping
Moved up to a 21' hybrid, loved it.
Low price, easy to tow/park, and just all around fun.

Some big draw backs in the hybrid,
1. Bedding takes up all your storage space
2. Set up time
3. Making beds

It is a good progression going from a smaller to larger unit
Find out if you like camping and really have time for it
However, if you go very small you will not enjoy it

2014 Jay Flight Swift 294 BHS
2012 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L
Redhorse 823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:32 PM   #38
We went from a Starcraft Meteorite (smallest pop-up they sold at the time) to a Jay Flight 22FB last spring. Had about 19 nights camping so far and it is plenty big enough for my wife and I and our 85# Golden Retriever. Would not want to tow anything bigger.
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:22 PM   #39
A mentor once told me "You'll always accumulate enough junk to fill whatever space you have". I did what so many others have said: carefully assess your needs and wants for as long as you plan on owning this trailer. I plan on full-timing, so I needed some space, but more importantly, storage space and holding tank capacity. I couldn't afford a $40K diesel Super Duty, nor did I want the fuel expense running around while the trailer was parked. There's just me and the dog, so for us, our new Eagle 366RKS fit the bill perfectly. Yes, I'm going to have to pare down a few things, but it's mostly the things I couldn't live without 10 years ago, and have used (maybe) half-a-dozen times. Talk with your family about what your needs are now, what they'll be in two years, five years, 10 years. Your answers will lead you to make the right decision.
2013 Eagle 266RKS
2011 Ford F-150 w/3.5L Ecoboost & H.D. Tow Package
Brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:01 PM   #40
My views are same as Paulx.

We "camp" 100 nights a year and our "16 footer" TT works well for us.
It is easily-
- stored in back yard
- handled on the road and in city traffic
- parked for a coffee break or a stop at a Dairy Queen
- set up
- makes a U-turn when we are lost
- pulled

The inside is small; has a head, shower, microwave/stove, tv, and comfortable sitting.
We bump into each other when we are walking around and that is ok with us.

Richard & Marilyn
2010 Ford F150, V8, 5.4 liter
2010 Jay Feather Sport 165
muelldawg is offline   Reply With Quote