Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #1

EZ Lube axle

Is it necessary to turn the wheel when injecting grease into the EZ Lube axle? I am new to this and would greatly appreciate any comments someone more experienced has. Thanks.
SteveD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
Site Team

According to Dexter`s instructions turning the wheel while injecting grease is the proper method. That`s the way I have done it. But don`t over do it with the grease. When new grease starts to push old out the front that`s enough, also according to their instructions. You do not want to blow out the rear seal and get grease on the brakes.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:05 PM   #3

I pulled mine for a good 15000 miles over 18 months and never pumped any grease into the EZ Lubes on my TT. Then I serviced them (myself), and upon inspection all 8 bearings and races were in great condition, with no wear or indication of overheating.

My logic for not greasing them? How often do people have their auto bearings on the non-drive end repacked with grease? Most never do and they last for a long time. And they don't even have zerks to add grease. If it were a boat trailer going into water regularly, yeah, I'd add grease, but I don't think it's necessary with TT's.

I'll just continue not pumping in grease (and possibly contaminates from the grease zerk), and servicing the bearings every year or two. I'm not recommending anyone else should do it my way, but I feel comfortable with it.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
I pulled mine for a good 15000 miles over 18 months and never pumped any grease into the EZ Lubes on my TT. Then I serviced them (myself), and upon inspection all 8 bearings and races were in great condition, with no wear or indication of overheating.

My logic for not greasing them? How often do people have their auto bearings on the non-drive end repacked with grease? Most never do and they last for a long time. And they don't even have zerks to add grease. If it were a boat trailer going into water regularly, yeah, I'd add grease, but I don't think it's necessary with TT's.

I'll just continue not pumping in grease (and possibly contaminates from the grease zerk), and servicing the bearings every year or two. I'm not recommending anyone else should do it my way, but I feel comfortable with it.

I follow the same schedule as you. I service them every two years which equates to about 5-7k miles.
'13 Suntracker PB 22
Da Bud Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:02 AM   #5

the ez-lube were originally designed for boat trailers that submerge the axles. If you have a regular maintenance schedule you should not have to put any grease in. I repack every other year and all are in great shape.
Prodigy Brakes
robo59097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #6

I agree with smokerbill, if fact I might go 10k before servicing. I do my car & truck when they need brakes. Larry ps never lost a bearing yet
Old 05-23-2013, 11:08 AM   #7

Proper grease

Can anyone tell me what type of grease I should use on the EZ-Lube axles?

Thanks
Jhertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:17 PM   #8
Site Team

As others have noted, I would not pump any type grease into the fittings. Either repack or have them repacked every couple of years.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:29 PM   #9

EZ Lube axles don't seem so easy when a seal blows and two pounds of grease get all over your brakes. Besides, if no one is pulling the drums to grease the bearings, no one is looking at the shoes, springs, and magnets to make sure all is well.

I believe that if it is time to grease your bearings, it is time to check your braking mechanisms. Since you have to pull the drums to do the brake check, this is the ideal time to clean and re-grease the bearings. For me, every two years is the time to do this.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:29 PM   #10

Someone at either Jayco or Dexter pumped lots of grease into the axles on our trailer. We were reimbursed by Jayco but the bill for all four amounted to $1100. I will have them packed by hand every 4 or 5 years.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:49 AM   #11

We've had several boat trailers over the years and always ran bearing buddies dust caps whils pumps grease inward and keeps the hub pressurized durring water submersion. Always used marine grade grease when I services the trailer bearings each year. I use the same grease on my TT and hit the EX lube fittings a little bit before a long trip.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
Someone at either Jayco or Dexter pumped lots of grease into the axles on our trailer. We were reimbursed by Jayco but the bill for all four amounted to $1100. I will have them packed by hand every 4 or 5 years.
I experienced the same thing. All brakes contaminated by axle grease and I never put a grease gun on them in 1 1/2 years since picking it up new. My local dealer got the ok to replace them under warranty by Jayco/ Dexter.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote