Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-06-2017, 09:50 AM   #1

Freezing temps after De-winterization Q

I de-winterized a couple weeks ago to go on a couple weekend trips.
Now my unit is in outside storage - no protection nor underbelly
Temps are expected to get down to 35* tonight and 31* Friday night in my area.
I was thinking of bringing the unit home to my driveway the next 2 nights so I can turn on the heat overnight to keep any lines from freezing...does this sound like a good idea? Will this keep my water lines from freezing?
I have no way to blow air into lines (no compressor, etc)
As always, appreciate any feedback, suggestions
Thank you for your time

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:55 AM   #2

I had to re-winterize again last weekend, but I only did so because we were expecting temps in the mid 20's for most of the night. It didn't end up getting that cold so it was probably a wasted effort, but better safe than sorry.

Now in your case, if it's only going to get down to 31 for a few hours, I don't think you have anything to worry about. If it's going to stay below 32 for an entire day that's different. If you'll sleep better having done it, might as well... it just doesn't sound required in my opinion since it's just a brief dip below 32.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:02 AM   #3

Since you have no insulation in the belly can you see your lines? If so running your heat probably won't help much. It would keep faucets from freezing but not much else. Temps down to 31 for a few hours are probably going to be fine but it is you that will have to repair if it gets colder than forecasted and it breaks something. After all they never get the weather wrong...

Also it is worth noting that PEX has more give to it so it is less likely to crack if it freezes a bit. Normally it will break the fittings and valves.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:06 AM   #4

kayakterp,

I agree with bansai, you shouldn't have a problem with what you've indicated as the forecast temps in your area.

What I would do in your situation would be to drain out the water by opening the low point drains, draining the HW tank and leaving all faucets open. No need to blow out the lines.

This will create air space in the lines to allow for expansion if water does start to freeze or starts to get slushy.

But I believe temps would need to get into the 20s for hours for this to occur.

Hope this is of some help.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:47 AM   #5

We're in the same boat.

Thinking about opening all out low point drains and draining the water heater and rolling with it.

It's supposed to get down to 37F locally, which usually means about 32F at our place on Friday night, but it's going to be 71F on Saturday.

I don't see a need in runnning the heat, not sure if draining all four low point drains and the WH buys us any protection, but it's simply enough to do.
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:53 AM   #6

I also agree with Bansai. Also with ROC and 01Tundra. I would just drain the water heater, and open the low point drains and drain the water lines. That should do just fine.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:58 AM   #7

What I do when I want to partially winterize:

- Open low point drains
- Go to the outside shower, hold the shower up in the air and open both valves to drain this hose and shower head via the low point drain.
- do the same thing in the bathroom shower.
- open the outdoor kitchen sink faucets, leave them open. I open all the faucets. I figure the more air I can let into the system, the more water will end up draining out of the low points.
- pull open the 'pressure release' valve on the hot water heater - verify if starts draining... if it doesn't drain it manually.

If we're looking at more than a few spotty occurrences of below freezing, or any HARD freezes, I fully winterize. I don't just rely on blowing air out of the system with my air compressor as that leaves water in a lot of risky areas... water pump, drains, etc..
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:02 PM   #8

Should be no issue. I would drain the lines as noted above.

I would be more word about traps, it it stays cold, as there is a fair amount of water in them, and abs does not flex.

If I had a little antifreeze sitting around I might put a small amount in each trap. Salt water would work too. If you do it all you need is to lower the freezing point a few degrees, if it is going to stay cold. But a single night would be fine.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:56 PM   #9

Thanks again for everyone's help. As I've been telling my wife this last week or so, "this is a great website with good information"
I got underneath and only found one low-point drain outside. Everything else is inside.
I opened that and turned on all my water faucets except the outside shower and outside sink. I'll go back tomorrow after work and do those.
They have actually raised the predictions a couple degrees for overnite lows so that is a good thing as well!
weather.com shows low at 38* but "feels 29*" with winds at 14 mph. for tonight and low of 33* feels 33* for tomorrow night so I think I'll be fine without having to hookup trailer and bringing it to the house for turning on the heater!

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:08 PM   #10

The one low point you found sounds like it's for the fw tank. Inside the tt, there are two more low point drains, one for each hot and cold water piping.

Often the low point drain valves are under the bathroom sink. They are tee handled. You must pull up on the handles.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote