Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2017, 08:23 AM   #1

Help with Jayco Factory

I just purchased a 2015 Jayco Precept 31UL, very nice RV. I notice that is was missing about 8 fasteners holding the two passengers side storage bins to the side of the RV. I talk to the Jayco factory about this, they said because I was the second owner they had no responsibility for they factory defects. Also the slide above this is tilted, but works. This doesn't seem right. Anyone have a thoughs on this? The Rv is less than 2 years old and only 9000 miles. Is there someone else I can contact?
Dave
davedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:45 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Dave, Factory warranty is not transferable to the second owner. Fix things yourself or go to a RV dealer who can fix it for you. Welcome to RV life.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:07 AM   #3

How much can 8 fasteners cost? And are they proprietary, or can you just go to a hardware store and buy something that will work?

Seems like something that wouldn't be too difficult to fix by yourself, and probably wouldn't take more than a few minutes.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:13 AM   #4

This raises the question of whether an owner can PAY Jayco to fix out-of-warranty stuff at the factory. When I was in Middlebury in March I asked them that exact question, looking forward to the time when my Precept is out of warranty. The answer is that sometimes they will - depends on circumstances. I see a great deal of interest in these Forums in getting FREE services, but I have yet to see mention of anyone happily paying Jayco to fix their rig as an alternative to incompetent dealer service departments. This strikes me as very strange. I certainly would.

Of course you wouldn't go to the factory for 8 fasteners, but there are plenty of more serious problems where you would - especially if a number of issues have accumulated.
chasfenwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey02 View Post
How much can 8 fasteners cost? And are they proprietary, or can you just go to a hardware store and buy something that will work?

Seems like something that wouldn't be too difficult to fix by yourself, and probably wouldn't take more than a few minutes.
X2 and it's yours now hook, line and sinker. Time to get your tools out and do some DIY and in no time you'll know every inch of it. There's no such thing as making an appointment at the dealer and waiting for it unless you have a month to sit in the waiting room if they even have one.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfenwick View Post
This raises the question of whether an owner can PAY Jayco to fix out-of-warranty stuff at the factory.
It will also depend on how busy they are.

There is a very reputable service center in the area that JAYCO recommends. Advantage of going there is they have quick access to.parts.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfenwick View Post
This raises the question of whether an owner can PAY Jayco to fix out-of-warranty stuff at the factory. When I was in Middlebury in March I asked them that exact question, looking forward to the time when my Precept is out of warranty. The answer is that sometimes they will - depends on circumstances. I see a great deal of interest in these Forums in getting FREE services, but I have yet to see mention of anyone happily paying Jayco to fix their rig as an alternative to incompetent dealer service departments. This strikes me as very strange. I certainly would.
(Following is a bit off-topic and on a soapbox, but ...)

I'd rather have Jayco (Thor?) spend the time & $ to 1-train RV technicians and 2-share warranty info with their dealers:
1) We all believe the Jayco factory is the best place to get things fixed. What do they do differently, or know what to do, that other techs don't.

2) Also, Jayco certainly has statistics on warranty repairs, large and small. Give that kind of info to the dealers so their techs can correct them quickly. And, maybe, catch & correct them before the new owner does their PDI or takes if off the lot.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:51 AM   #8

We paid the Jayco Factory Service Center to replace the roof on our 8 year old Jayflight 25RKS. The did it for less than half of what the dealership quoted.

They also found that when they got it apart that they needed (because of water damage) to replace the ceiling, roof vents, ceiling lights and ceiling electrical wiring and insulation, the back wall of the trailer and the top foot of the sidewalls.

They did this all under the original quote.

And, just because they had some extra time, they repainted the frame, steps, and rear bumper.

Great folks, and true to their word that they would fix anything they found for the quoted price.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
It will also depend on how busy they are.
Yes. They mentioned that specifically.
chasfenwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
X2 and it's yours now hook, line and sinker. Time to get your tools out and do some DIY and in no time you'll know every inch of it. There's no such thing as making an appointment at the dealer and waiting for it unless you have a month to sit in the waiting room if they even have one.
Not everyone has the skills or physical ability to do their own repairs.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
What do they do differently, or know what to do, that other techs don't.
A lot. Most dealers cannot get talented and properly trained techs.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
A lot. Most dealers cannot get talented and properly trained techs.
The differences are:

Are the dealer techs Jayco Factory Trained (with yearly refresher courses), or are they just "dealer trained"?

Jayco Factory Service Center Techs have the the parts and specialized tools to do the job right at hand, and when they discover additional warranty issues with the unit, the approval process is fast and efficient.

We spent 4 days there, and they found 3 issues that could have led to problems down the road, and the just went ahead and took care of them.
They discovered a leaky toilet valve that we didn't know had a problem... no, they didn't replace the valve, they replaced the entire toilet with a newer model.

Those are some of the differences....
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Logans View Post
Are the dealer techs Jayco Factory Trained (with yearly refresher courses), or are they just "dealer trained"?
You're comparing apples and oranges, not like an auto dealer who carries one brand.

JAYCO uses the same components that every other RV manufacturer uses. (Norcold, Attwood, Dometic, Coleman, Lippert and the list goes on) Nothing that requires " JAYCO" factory training.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:00 PM   #14

Thanks for all thoughts

This is my fourth MH, (two PaceArrows (23 & 33 ft and and 40 ft American Dream) so I am not new to RV. The past were use and I work on them to fix ware and tear items. Never found an obvious factory issue.
In talking to the factory I explained the missing screws, They said it would never leave the factor that way, some owner must had did something. I explained there are 8 on one side of the RV and none on other, and the holes the self threading screws (I guessing self thread) should be in, do not have a mating hole behind them.
They didn't put them in and don't want to take responsible for something simple. I know I could fix with help and be done, but what else did they not do to this RV.
This RV is less than two years old. They should stand factory mistakes.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
This RV is less than two years old. They should stand factory mistakes.
Sorry you got taken by the dealer/or person you bought from, but the warranty is very specific.

"Each Jayco is warranted against defects in materials and workmanship to the original purchaser for twenty-four (24) months "

Be the second owner of a 2 yr old house and see if the builder comes back to fix mistakes that the first owner didn't document.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:03 PM   #16

Surprised at some responses

Thanks for helping me define my problem. My Jayco HM has a defect in workmanship, the factory didn't do a complete assembly.
I understand why the first owner didn't find the defect and thus report it. I found it because I wanted to but a 100 pound tool chest in the storage bin, thus I look under the Rv to see how the bins were put together.

From the response I receive no one seem surprised at defects in workmanship. From that I assume this is usual with Jaco products.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:47 PM   #17

I'd say it's usual with every product put out by any manufacturer.
Are you sure the screws were ever put in or did they just work their way out? This could happen on anything.
As for the slide, I would say it was probably like it is for a while and the original owner didn't have it worked on. But this should have been caught when looking to purchase.

Unfortunately used vehicles of any sort will have issues when purchased. I'm sure everyone here has gone through it. Good luck with the repairs and Welcome to RVing!

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Not everyone has the skills or physical ability to do their own repairs.
Then I hope they have the finances to pay someone else to repair...
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:50 PM   #19

I can only speak from my experience in the automotive collision repair industry. The dealership I worked at for nearly 40 years had 13 different franchises. They sold everything from Mercedes and BMW's to Fiats. In addition we repaired ANY brand. We were not "factory trained" but, every tech was ICAR/ASE certified. I retired being ICAR Platinum certified, their highest level of training, and ASE Master Body and Paint, again, their highest level of certification. We had to be recertified at various intervals. It was very simple, if you were not certified, you did not work there. These programs are industry standards and insurance companies and auto manufactures support and review these programs. They do this for several reasons but, among those are that they want customers to receive the best possible repair. I say all this to wonder why the RV industry does not have such programs ? I should add that our shop labor rate was, and still is $55.00 per hour. Our pay rate was approx. $ 20.00 per hr. When I asked the local CW about installing a vent cover I was Informed their shop raten was $ 165.00 per hr. I doubt the tech is earningn $20.00 of that. Perhaps it is time for the RV industry to actually care what level of repair work they offer. I should add we garenteed all our repairs for as long as you owned your vehicle.
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:03 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolead View Post
I say all this to wonder why the RV industry does not have such programs ?
They do.

www.rvia.org/?ESID=preleases&PRID=369&SR=1

www.rvtechnician.com