Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-22-2017, 02:22 PM   #1

19H Partial Floor Replacement

As many of you have seen I had to redo the roof on this trailer due to a leaking a/c gasket (CHECK IT AT LEAST ONCE A YEAR!). I will be replacing this at least every other year no matter how good it looks. It's way cheaper than replacing a roof and floor!
Cost for the floor was only about $300. Biggest expense was glue and flooring. I did buy a few other things but most of it I had laying around as 'scrap' and was able to make it work for this.

Here is a picture summary of the floor replacement. I'll give a little summary but for the most part the pics speak for themselves.

Here is the first pic after removing the linoleum. Try your best to locate the rot…

Front right corner. You can see the board under the wall frame has rotted away. This happened on both sides. I cut them out at a point far enough back that I was at good/dry wood and replaced them with 2x4.

Just a couple of the damage.

I removed this first section then decided it wasn't quite enough.

More flooring removed and I decided I would also replace the belly because the material had several tears in it.
On the front wall the bottom piece of aluminum had gotten bent because the floor sagged so badly. I remove the 'cage' and replaced the bottom piece with a piece of steel. I also put the insulation back up and used a piece of luan to cover the entire cage to keep it in place and also be able to make this usable space.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:26 PM   #2

Under this first piece of wood I put a piece of 3x3 angle iron to make sure it never sagged again.

The three floor supports and sidewall replacements. I don't know what the joint is called but where the supports meet the wall plate I removed half of each board this way the top board could actually sit on the bottom board for more support.
After this I got the belly pan put in from underneath and glued the styrofoam insulation to it (forgot pics).

Here is the floor with the new luan in place all glued and screwed in place.

Flooring in. I did not do the bathroom but I have a transition there so we don't stub a toe!

And all the furniture except kitchen. I have to redo the counter top - I'll add a pic of that when I'm done.

Overall a good experience but again a lot of work. Nice part is I could run the a/c while doing it which made it way better than working on the roof.

The section between the front bunk and the couch/dining will become more storage. The entire thing is empty so I figure if I make it hinge open to the top I could put quite a bit of stuff in there. It's an area about 12" deep x 48" across x 20" high.

Next is redoing the front bunk. The wood on the (when folded up) bottom right corner has gotten wet but it's not in nearly as bad shape as the roof and floor so I think I'll be able to get away with peeling the old wood off, letting everything dry really good and gluing new wood in place. I'll do a small write up on that as well.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:38 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Good job! Water intrusion is an RV killer. Check your roofs and if you have the foam seals in the windows and storage doors, replace them with automotive butyl tape (at least 1/4 ") A lot of time the foam seals have hidden leaks and show after a couple of years (soft wood usual has some rot and mildew by then).
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power

ALJO 'Forever Young @ Heart' provide on their travels Music Entertainment to Senior Care Homes
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 04:18 PM   #4

Really nice job on the flooring! Much nicer than the dealer would do!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:53 PM   #5

Thanks guys! I figure it's apart I might as well put in something halfway decent. It wasn't very expensive flooring (60cents a foot) but it looks nicer and also has a nice room feel walking in it.
I just hope all this can help someone i the future if they try to do the job or even makes them check their a/c gasket.

ALJO - the only seal I have seen on mine that is foam is the a/c. I do however have one window frame that is bent so the window will not close tightly. I do cover it though.

Now to find the leak on the front bunk. Ugh!
Old 09-23-2017, 01:24 PM   #6

You Sir, are a Beast!
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 01:45 PM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Remove a window and you'll see a rubber/foam gasket. On the fiberglass walls they doing not to bad. But on aluminum siding most of them will leak from the factory.
Many years ago they used to have front windows you could open, I have never seen one that didn't leak. Hope they have a good drip cap on the front assembly and that the seals are in good shape. Water intrusion is so easy at those places. Did you raise your TT or is it still original?
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power

ALJO 'Forever Young @ Heart' provide on their travels Music Entertainment to Senior Care Homes
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbravo View Post
You Sir, are a Beast!
I wouldn't go that far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
Remove a window and you'll see a rubber/foam gasket. On the fiberglass walls they doing not to bad. But on aluminum siding most of them will leak from the factory.

Did you raise your TT or is it still original?
I haven't removed any windows but the walls are all still solid - no delamination like the floor and roof had.
I did raise it about 3" and went with a slightly larger tire (205/75-14 from 185/80-13) which gave an additional .80". The plumbing was so close to the ground it had been broken off and repaired by the previous owner and I take it up to Gunnison National Forest yearly and the additional ground clearance was a necessity. Plus it rides level now.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:25 AM   #9

Quick note. I did a full roof replacement and here is the link:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...t-39639-2.html
Old 10-03-2017, 02:26 PM   #10

Just a couple of pictures - almost done!!!

This was dead space between the dinette/couch and the bunk area. It's about 5'wide x 1" deep by 16" tall. Great for storage...
Had to use pano mode but couldn't hold it steady.

Only a couple of things left.
Make lid for above cubby, caulk around the holes for all of the drain lines and wiring where they go from inside out and put a little trim on. Taking it out this weekend!