Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-21-2017, 07:27 AM   #1

Is it stupidity or ignorance?

This post is a partial vent/rant and an invitation to share similar frustrations...

Why is it that every time I order something from a company/store/professional organization they screw it up and order the wrong one? And furthermore, no one verifies that the correct item arrived, so often it's you, the customer, that discovers the mistake after all the anticipation/excitement and the drive to pick it up?

This happened to me today at the Ford dealer when I went to pick up a special order performance part. No attention to detail, the model year and part number was overlooked. The wrong part arrived and I pointed it out after seeing it.

This has happened countless times to me including the very first Jayco I custom ordered from a dealer a few years ago. After months of waiting, we went to pick it up only to find they sent up a trailer with bunks over the main bed instead of cabinetry. All because the salesman put in the wrong numbers or something into the order, ironically after somewhat jokingly giving me the gears for being so meticulous and detail oriented with everything and all my questions. He hadn't even seen the trailer himself until he brought us into it.

Not to mention the idiots that installed my new water heater and had to use an entire tube of caulking to seal the gaping hole they cut through the foundation, or the guys that "fixed" my furnace by replacing countless parts before a different guy dug a little deeper and found the obvious issue.

Or how about the dummy that didn't bother to tighten my chrome valve stem caps or latch my hood after an oil change. I literally have to do a full walk around every time I leave my truck with anyone else but me.

Or the guys at the trailer axle shop who left 2 wire grommets for the trailer brake wires just hanging on the wire and didn't bother putting the other 2 on at all, so the wires were rubbing on a sharp metal hole which in time would have caused a short out of my brakes. Again, I caught it.

This is a shout out to all the incompetent people doing jobs half-assed. SMARTEN UP AND PAY ATTENTION. If I make simple errors like these in my job, hundreds of lives are at risk. Double check, verify your entry, and then verify that the result is accurate with what you entered.

Anyone else?
Old 07-21-2017, 07:30 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post

Anyone else?
Yep, ordered a small refrigerator part from SEARS PARTS DIRECT and they shipped a wash machine hub and seal.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:13 AM   #3

It's hard to find good help these days...unfortunately, the mind set is that just showing up and warming a seat is good enough. Attention to details and pride in your work effort aren't taught much now. I think for the most part, baby boomers were taught that "just good enough" wasn't good enough. Our parents and grandparents survived the depression and hard times, your word was the strongest contract you could offer and something to be protected. The ugly truth is the majority of us are older and we were raised with a different set of work values that were born out of those hard times our parents and grand parents lived through (WWI, depression, WWII).....maybe our kids had it too easy. Maybe it was the fact that our generation and that of our parents became part of the movement from the rural lifestyle to the more cosmopolitan. I'm thankful that my father instilled the same values and work ethic that his father passed on to him and that when I wasn't in school, I had the opportunity to work with my grandfather farming and ranching.

Just recently a young couple bought the house next to ours. They've commented on our landscaping and the beauty of our yard and our house. They wanted to know what landscaping service and contractor we used to get that look......I was working in the yard, had dirt all over my hands and soaked in sweat. I held up my hands and it went right over their heads.

Times aren't achangin...........they've changed.

Jayco Jay Series 1206
Dodge Ram 1500, Hemi
Lifespalette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:14 AM   #4

I think this is a combination of things.
For one thing, if the number gets entered wrong, the rest of the system is automated, so as long as the number matches "something" it ships.
Also, at least where I work, all these low level positions, like shipping/receiving clerks are now temps. They have ZERO chance of ever getting a job here with good pay or benefits, so they just really don't care. The company does not care either, that is why all those positions have been made into temp jobs.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:15 AM   #5

Yep, there's a lack of work ethic.
My Dad taught me that no matter what you do (Walmart greeter , floor sweeper, scientist), do it well, do it the best you can.
I employee about 75 individuals, mostly high school, some college, some adults, I have seen a large decline in any type of work ethic. Lack of thinking skill, lack of common sense.
Some call it stupidity, laziness, ignorance. I just call it lack of work ethic, lack of pride in what you do.
With families today being torn apart by divorce, lack of proper parenting, parents having to work two jobs to stay afloat, you can't blame the kids if they haven't had that example to follow/learn from. Perhaps each of us are called to help them when opportunity arrises, to help make them a better person. It'll make us a better person at the same time. Kinda like a twofer
But yes, what the OP lists does get very frustrating.
I'm looking into ordering a new TT and as I get older I know that I want everything written down, none of this verbal stuff.
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNJanice View Post
I think this is a combination of things.
For one thing, if the number gets entered wrong, the rest of the system is automated, so as long as the number matches "something" it ships.
In my case nothing was even close, besides the fridge is a Samsung and they shipped a Whirlpool/Maytag part.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:29 AM   #7

These are the exact reason I do as much of my own maintenance as possible. I just don't trust 'professionals' to do it. When we bought my wife's current vehicle we got X number of oil changes. The FIRST one they sent her on her way and before she got to the street (maybe 100 feet) the oil light was on. It was supposedly 1/2 qt low. Now I'm not a paid mechanic but my dad was for many years and I've driven a low of old vehicles that burned oil and unless they are quite low (couple of quarts) the light does not come on. I did the rest of the changes.
Seems unless you find one of the last remaining old school people or really know the person it's a real crap-shoot as to what kind of service you get.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:35 AM   #8

Part of the problem is employers forcing employees to work faster and faster. Same as RV assembly line workers doing shoddier work because of the pressure to crank out new RVs as fast as they can, warehouse workers have to crank out so many orders in a given amount of time. The same goes for incoming material, which compounds the situation when the wrong material is put into stock or material is stocked in the wrong locations. Added to that, most warehouse workers now have no clue what the material is. To them, a gasket is a gasket or a bearing is a bearing.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:54 AM   #9

Well, let me tell you about Amazon and wrong orders. Went to the site, ordered a wind screen for my GMC and eagerly awaited it to replace the one that had cracked and broken. When I got it, much to my surprise the screen was for a Dodge Ram and just wouldn't fit. I was really mad at Amazon for sending the wrong item until I looked at my order and found that I had actually ordered the wrong item. Scrolled down, got the proper screen and, lo and behold, got the right screen very quickly. Found out it wasn't Amazon's fault, it was my fault for ordering the wrong thing. Have any of you previous posters ever ordered the wrong thing and then blamed it on the order taker rather than yourself?
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jal0710 View Post
Well, let me tell you about Amazon and wrong orders. Went to the site, ordered a wind screen for my GMC and eagerly awaited it to replace the one that had cracked and broken. When I got it, much to my surprise the screen was for a Dodge Ram and just wouldn't fit. I was really mad at Amazon for sending the wrong item until I looked at my order and found that I had actually ordered the wrong item. Scrolled down, got the proper screen and, lo and behold, got the right screen very quickly. Found out it wasn't Amazon's fault, it was my fault for ordering the wrong thing. Have any of you previous posters ever ordered the wrong thing and then blamed it on the order taker rather than yourself?
Well, let me tell you about Amazon and wrong orders. Shortly before I got fed up with Amazon's overall incompetence and started boycotting them, I ordered a computer fan that had a black housing and white blades. They shipped an all black model. I returned it for replacement and they shipped another all black fan. I returned it for a refund and bought the correct fan elsewhere for less. Eventually, Amazon closed the listing to investigate a part number discrepancy.

I worked in warehousing for 30 of the 32 years I worked for the company that now provides my pension. After that first retirement, I worked retail for five and a half years to supplement my pension. I think I know how to correctly order parts.

The fact is many suppliers pay crap wages to their warehouse personnel, so they get crap personnel.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
Anyone else?
I ordered a weight lifting bench from Amazon. They sent me a basketball hoop.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:45 AM   #12
Site Team

Work ethics aren't taught in school, and the younger generation doesn't often listen to their parents/grandparents direction. Heck, they can't even count back your change in stores anymore. They just take the money out of a register, and dump in in your hand. The power goes out and they're SCREWED. Technology has it's place, but it can ruin the future in ways we don't even know about yet. I'm one of the "old school" bunch and can tell time on a clock with hands, count your change back to you without a calculator or fancy cash register, use a phone with a rotary dial (yes, I have one in my shop!), and read a road map. I too see the "I'm here for a paycheck" mentality. The comments enclosed herein are solely mine....... (and may be someone else's too.) .

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:19 AM   #13

I would like to add my opinion, and that is all it is. For the most part when someone is wanting to make a purchase, whether parts or a new unit, usually the first question is "Who has the cheapest price?." Seldom have I ever heard" Where can I find the best service ?" Another thing to remember is when I was growing up, I am 68yo, companies had respect for employees. A good employee could reasonably expect that if he did his job to the best of his ability that he would be employed by that company until he retired. Now, IMHO, most employees don't know from day to day if they will have a job tomorrow or if the company will even be in business. Loyalty is a two way street. These are probably not popular opinions but, for me, these are contributing factors ot poor service and poor quality products.
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:45 AM   #14

Is it stupidity or ignorance?

There are a lot of generalizations being thrown around in this thread. I employ about 20 people at any given time. Yes the youngest generation does have a different mentality about work , But simply complaining about the available workforce doesn't solve any problems. I found that finding ways to motivate and train them as a generation is far more productive. Also, as a couple other posters have pointed out, you can't expect the best when you want to pay so little. My company is a high-end construction firm. We are not cheap and we pay our people well and the quality and service goes right along with it.

Work ethic or lack thereof is far from being linked to a particular generation. I have employed plenty of people over the years who would now be anywhere between 40 and 70 who were just as shiftless and lazy as 20-year-olds I've ran across.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Well, let me tell you about Amazon and wrong orders. Shortly before I got fed up with Amazon's overall incompetence and started boycotting them, I ordered a computer fan that had a black housing and white blades. They shipped an all black model. I returned it for replacement and they shipped another all black fan. I returned it for a refund and bought the correct fan elsewhere for less. Eventually, Amazon closed the listing to investigate a part number discrepancy.

I worked in warehousing for 30 of the 32 years I worked for the company that now provides my pension. After that first retirement, I worked retail for five and a half years to supplement my pension. I think I know how to correctly order parts.

The fact is many suppliers pay crap wages to their warehouse personnel, so they get crap personnel.
Several thoughts on this post. First and foremost, there is no such thing as a "pension" any more. Workers of my generation and the ones after mine can expect to see all of their Social Security gone, no pension, low wages (in comparison), extremely high competition for relatively scarce jobs, and ever increasing costs without a correlating increase in income. Most of us will likely not "retire" and will die working. They will have a REALLY hard time finding a job with a company that gives half a hoot whether they stay or go because there are literally dozens of people who would LOVE to have that job.

In secondary education, the push is for everyone to go to college. You have to have a bachelor's degree to mop the floor somewhere. There is virtually no focus on trade skills or training for skilled labor (which is where TONS of available jobs are). So kids are pushed into a post-secondary education when their motivation, skills, attitude, and talents are a very poor fit. They would have been a 100 times better off going to a tech school and learning a trade, but everyone convinces them they need to go to college, rack up a crap-ton of debt, and not be able to find a job with a liveable wage, regardless of their work ethic.

Boomers and older love to put down the next generation(s) about how they don't have any work ethic, they're too distracted, they're this or that. Bottom line is you had it better. Sure, you worked hard, but as someone already mentioned, MOST of your bosses actually cared whether you showed up or not, and that hard work was recognized and rewarded; not any more. You were a person, with a family. Now, it's all about corporate greed. How can I get more out of my workers (note the conspicuous use of "workers" instead of "employees") for less? Payroll expense is just another line item on a financial statement that needs to be "controlled" or "minimized". No one looks at their employees as an "investment" any more, those days are gone.

And who runs all those companies and makes those decisions? Boomers.

And in the end, it's cheaper to run this way. It's cheaper to ship you the wrong product twice than it is to troubleshoot the problem, up to a point. It's cheaper to increase the acceptable error level in the interest of speed. Cheaper = more profit = higher share prices for those lucky enough to own stock in the company. NO benefit to the front-line worker at all to find and fix a relatively small problem like that. As was said, who knows whether they'll have a job tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolead View Post
I would like to add my opinion, and that is all it is. For the most part when someone is wanting to make a purchase, whether parts or a new unit, usually the first question is "Who has the cheapest price?." Seldom have I ever heard" Where can I find the best service ?" Another thing to remember is when I was growing up, I am 68yo, companies had respect for employees. A good employee could reasonably expect that if he did his job to the best of his ability that he would be employed by that company until he retired. Now, IMHO, most employees don't know from day to day if they will have a job tomorrow or if the company will even be in business. Loyalty is a two way street. These are probably not popular opinions but, for me, these are contributing factors ot poor service and poor quality products.
This is right on. "Loyalty is a two way street" indeed! On an ever-decreasing budget, I will admit that I often will shop the lowest price. But there are a few places where I KNOW I will get EXCELLENT service, so I won't even bother shopping price. I choose to patronize those organizations as much as I can. That being said, I'm like most everyone else on a budget; sometimes I just need it as cheap as I can get it.

As for Amazon, I've been a Prime member since about 10 minutes after they created the program, and I've never received something different than what I ordered. Not once.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:49 AM   #16

I believe corporate leadership in America shares much of the blame for this culture. The dot.com boom of the late 90's caused virtually every boardroom in America to demand that the company become a get rich quick scheme. This attitude persists today. Companies are interested in driving next week's stock price, with little regard to company health three years from now. They don't want to pay employees what they are worth. Employees are viewed as interchangeable commodities, and an employee with years of training and experience isn't worth any more than a kid with no skills.

You get what you pay for.

The other thing is that American's can earn about 30 grand per year by just sitting on their ass at home and signing for every available welfare program. Why would anybody want to work for less than that?
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:56 AM   #17

Who raised these people?
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:55 PM   #18

Scary mistake

Went to a local, well-known, restaurant a few years ago with my adult children and my grandchildren. The service that night was pretty poor overall, but that wasn't the worst of it.

We ordered our food and beverages, including lemonade for two of my grand kids...both under four years old. They brought their lemonade out in those cute little plastic kids cups with lids and a straw.

We finished our dinner and while I waited for the check, my son and his family went out to the parking lot to get the kiddos all strapped in. A minute or two later, my son is back in the restaurant looking like he's just seen a ghost and holding one of the cups containing the kid's lemonade. I asked him what was wrong...he said, "This isn't lemonade."

After getting the kids in their car seats, he took a sip from one of the their cups and discovered that instead of lemonade, someone had filled their cups with margarita mix...the kind that already has the alcohol in it!

So, for about an hour while we sat at dinner, my two young grand children drank several ounces of a beverage containing tequila!

Long story short, we called 911, the paramedics showed up, checked them out and told us they thought the kiddos were OK, but advised us that we should probably take them to the ER just to be safe, which we did. Thank God, they were OK.

The police showed up and interviewed the employees. Turns out, for some crazy reason, the lemonade was kept in the bar, right next to the pre-made margaritas in the fridge. Someone just grabbed the wrong container. The manager was very apologetic and very nervous at the same time. They comp'd our meal and paid for the ER visit without batting an eye. I'm pretty sure they thought they were going to get sued.

My son was pretty hot...we were all upset, but I explained to him that we all make mistakes and that everyone was OK. He had a fair number of people telling him that he should go to the media and sue the restaurant. He didn't, which made me proud. I believe it was an honest mistake. A scary one for sure, but an honest mistake.

Sometimes people make mistakes and sometimes those mistakes cause great harm. Fortunately, in our case, that didn't happen. I don't think everything that goes wrong does so because people are incompetent. I have no idea why that waitress wasn't paying attention that night, maybe she'd just lost a loved one, maybe she'd been diagnosed with a horrible illness recently, maybe she was up all night with a sick child...I just don't know. I've made mistakes...we all have. The best we can do is be compassionate and try to understand that none of us is perfect. I thank God my grandchildren were OK that night and at the same time I hope that everyone learned from that experience so that it doesn't happen again.

Sometimes we just have to say, "stuff happens" and move on.

It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish. -St. (Mother) Teresa
Catholic for a reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:55 PM   #19

I agree. Things sure are not what they used to be..

2018 Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic for a reason View Post
Went to a local, well-known, restaurant a few years ago with my adult children and my grandchildren. The service that night was pretty poor overall, but that wasn't the worst of it.

We ordered our food and beverages, including lemonade for two of my grand kids...both under four years old. They brought their lemonade out in those cute little plastic kids cups with lids and a straw.

We finished our dinner and while I waited for the check, my son and his family went out to the parking lot to get the kiddos all strapped in. A minute or two later, my son is back in the restaurant looking like he's just seen a ghost and holding one of the cups containing the kid's lemonade. I asked him what was wrong...he said, "This isn't lemonade."

After getting the kids in their car seats, he took a sip from one of the their cups and discovered that instead of lemonade, someone had filled their cups with margarita mix...the kind that already has the alcohol in it!

So, for about an hour while we sat at dinner, my two young grand children drank several ounces of a beverage containing tequila!

Long story short, we called 911, the paramedics showed up, checked them out and told us they thought the kiddos were OK, but advised us that we should probably take them to the ER just to be safe, which we did. Thank God, they were OK.

The police showed up and interviewed the employees. Turns out, for some crazy reason, the lemonade was kept in the bar, right next to the pre-made margaritas in the fridge. Someone just grabbed the wrong container. The manager was very apologetic and very nervous at the same time. They comp'd our meal and paid for the ER visit without batting an eye. I'm pretty sure they thought they were going to get sued.

My son was pretty hot...we were all upset, but I explained to him that we all make mistakes and that everyone was OK. He had a fair number of people telling him that he should go to the media and sue the restaurant. He didn't, which made me proud. I believe it was an honest mistake. A scary one for sure, but an honest mistake.

Sometimes people make mistakes and sometimes those mistakes cause great harm. Fortunately, in our case, that didn't happen. I don't think everything that goes wrong does so because people are incompetent. I have no idea why that waitress wasn't paying attention that night, maybe she'd just lost a loved one, maybe she'd been diagnosed with a horrible illness recently, maybe she was up all night with a sick child...I just don't know. I've made mistakes...we all have. The best we can do is be compassionate and try to understand that none of us is perfect. I thank God my grandchildren were OK that night and at the same time I hope that everyone learned from that experience so that it doesn't happen again.

Sometimes we just have to say, "stuff happens" and move on.
It's not the occasional errors I have issues with, especially if the ones making the errors take the appropriate remedial actions as necessary. It's the ones who make repeated errors, ones who do not take responsibility for their actions, and/or ones who are simply not qualified to do the work they are doing (their employers have to share in that blame) This does not apply to people who are new to the job and are just learning the ropes; I'm very patient with them.

In the case of the restaurant issue, however, I would have been asking questions such as why was a non-alcoholic beverage stored with alcoholic beverages? Were the containers similar or different? Were the containers properly labeled or not? What was going to be done to make sure this didn't happen again? These are the kinds of things usually covered by local health regulations and probably should have been addressed by the local Health inspectors. I do agree that, since no harm was done and the restaurant did offer to cover all expenses, a lawsuit would have been out of line.