Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-27-2015, 06:01 PM   #31
Just tell 'em all that your last name is actually Jones, and they really should try to keep up with you.

2011 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab
2011 Jay Flight 26BH
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:14 PM   #32
Sometimes they are just joking, and yes I made that joke to a neighbor driving his new Mercedes. WE live in a nice neighbourhood but no one is rich, a mercedes is for sure somehting we dont see often ...smile its a normal reaction I guess,

Originally Posted by llilith View Post
So, we bought a new Ram 1500 truck and a TT in the past two weeks. I've had two different neighbors come over and say things like "wow did you guys win the lottery" or "we want your jobs". This bugs me. Has anyone else experienced this after making their new RV purchase?

It's not like we even paid full retail for these items, we got a great trade in for our existing truck (which didn't have the towing capacity we wanted). I negotiated really good prices on both items. In fact, they were about 30k together, which we financed. In the scheme of things, it's not a big deal, since it only amounts to $180 more in payments. We both work full time and budget our money carefully. At full retail, it looks like we have 56k worth of equipment in the driveway now, but that's not the real story.

I almost feel guilty - like I should apologize for having these "luxury items". Especially when people make comments like I mentioned above.

Does anyone else have this issue after making this kind of purchase? I feel like people think it's frivolous and extravagant and that there is judgement all over the place - even from family and certainly from neighbors.

I know I shouldn't care what others think, but I do.

Jayco Whitehawk 24RBS 2014

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:42 PM   #33
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Something else that bothers me and is along the same vein:

Some of our friends think we "spend too much" on our "stuff". For example, when I buy something, I intend to KEEP it, so I buy the highest quality I can afford. I take care of it. I do the maintenance. I fix it when it's broken, and cry when it breaks. My belongings are not "commodities" to me.

Some of those friends who judge me for what I spend my money on don't take care of their belongings at all. It's just stuff to them to be replaced when they break it or wear it out, which happens faster because they don't take care of it. Oil changes get neglected, the cheapest tires get installed, things never get cleaned or washed, etc. And it's big stuff like houses and cars.

We may spend a little more than they do on what they may consider "non-essentials", but we plan to keep those things for a long time, and we want them to be nice, so we work hard to keep our things that way. It really bothers me when people say stuff like that and their 4 year old car looks like it needs to be scrapped, and their $200K house looks like it should be condemned ...

Sorry for the rant, but I stopped worrying what people like that think about what I buy a LONG time ago.
Exactly, take care of it and it'll last. Not everything is disposable there are a ton of how to sites to fix most everything. (Thank you You tube) I made the money and I'll decide how I'll spend it, don't care what they think. That includes family I'm not asking you to pay my bills.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 Long Bed Extended Cab Air Bags
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT
2007 Layton 245LF (sold)
196? Shasta 16ft

Learn from others mistakes, you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.
Eleanor Roosevelt
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:13 PM   #34
I just smile and say I have never seen an armored car in a funeral procession and I am trying to keep it that way!
Pmp1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:17 PM   #35
The way I look at it, I wouldn't care what some people say. The people that matter in my life wouldn't talk out their ***. Be proud of what you bought.
2012 Jayco Swift SLX 185rb

2011 Ranger Sport
brianca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:00 PM   #36
We worked hard and have a good retirement. So have our neighbors. None has ever made a comment about what we or anyone else has.
2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Litre DoubleCab
6 speed, 4.30 Limited Slip, Tow Package
2013 Jayco White Hawk 27DSRL
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:14 PM   #37
We don't finance, something we are very proud of, and my neighbors know this, so when we buy something the big the standing joke is "...this is what you can do when you say no to dinner out invitations".
2007 Chevy Duramax LMM/Allison
2012 Jay Flight 29QBH
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:17 PM   #38
OK, I didn't read but the first page - so maybe others commented on this already.

What I think is YOU should lighten up, I seriously doubt they meant any belittling with those statements, rather they were just simply trying to be friendly.

But I've been wrong before. YMMV.
2008 Jayco Eagle SuperLite 29.5
2014 F250 6.7 PSD 4X4, CC LB
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:55 PM   #39
We decided to quit smoking several months before we bought our camper in sig. Several months later we decided to buy the Silverado as the FordnF250 was not capable of hauling the camper around. We then waited 6 years to buy the TT. TV and Camper were paid before we paid cash for TT. It was quite a surprise when we realized how much we were spending to smoke.
Happy Camping
'07 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD XC LB SRW 4X2.
Powerstop Brakes on all corners.
'15 JayFlight 28BHBE Elite Fibreglass
Andersen Hitch.
'07 Northern Lite 10-2RR Camper.
Northern Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:12 AM   #40
You gotta pay to play. I have a new (used) 2015 Ram in my driveway and a new 2015 Jayco in my backyard. We towed a smaller trailer with a smaller truck before kids came. We made a decision that we wanted to continue camping with the kids and to travel around the country and let the kids experience the country growing up. We sacrificed and bought a new truck and trailer. Finances are a little tight since we have an 8 month old and a 2.5 year old, my wife works 1 day a week and I don't make great money in my job.

We are making sacrifices in other areas of our lives so that our children can have better experiences than we had. Its a personal decision, one that I am not embarrassed to make. If my neighbor's had an issue, I would politely tell them to mind their own business. Everybody spends money on something or another. Its not my place to worry about how they spend their money, they need not worry about how I spend mine.

spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote