Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-08-2016, 08:29 AM   #31
I even run my Generator if it's hot out so the AC remains working in the coach. My Propane is on the opposite side of the coach from the fuel, I leave my Propane on unless I know I will be going through a tunnel that does not allow propane to be on. Safe travels!!!
Attached Thumbnails
36UN at CS.jpg  

nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:47 AM   #32
This is a highly debated topic which comes up every now and again. It really comes down to personal preference and a measure of likely risk versus possible happenstance and whether all the factors are aligned. I have been around and owned RV's most of my life. I have run with the refrigerator on and off. At this point in my life, I travel with the propane tanks off and the refer off. When at home in storage the RV is plugged in and the refer is on (electric) so its always pre chilled. I have traveled as long as 10 hours with the refrigerator off before pulling into a site and turning on the gas and refer. Nothing thawed, nothing spoiled every single time. If your refrigerator (after it has been properly chilled) (and full) cannot keep things properly chilled for at least 6 hours, there is something else wrong (after all, what do you do in a residence when the power goes out for several hours? throw all the food in the fridge and freezer away?). It may all be legal mumbo jumbo and double talk designed to protect some corporate entity, but there is a reason why manufacturers in the RV industry have warnings and recommendations about not traveling with propane on. However, those warnings got started somewhere, somehow and human nature is most often reactionary. Meaning; those warnings got started because something happened sometime somewhere and whether proven or not they were substantiated.
Like I said, I have traveled with it on in my past and never had a problem. personally I choose not to temp fate, I leave it off now. I was a parachutist (both static line and free fall) during my 26 year career in the Corps. We always have a reserve chute even though the chances of needing it are small. I never had to use mine, but that doesn't mean I stopped carrying it. Just my 2 cents folks.

2015 White Hawk 25BHS Glacier Package
2004 Dodge Ram 2500, 5.7 Hemi, 5Spd Manual
2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Northface tent/Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH
Lance Cabover/Prowler TT/WildernessTT/Tiltin Hiltin Cabover/Starcraft popup
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:12 AM   #33
When I remember, I usually turn my propane off before I leave camp because I'm a cheap skate, not really for any other reason. It's probably the last thing on my mind when I need to get gas for the truck and I'm trying to find a viable gas station.
2016 27BHS Elite
2012 F-150 EcoBoost / Max Tow
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:13 AM   #34
Originally Posted by jasoncw View Post
You have better odds being killed in a sharknado...
True, I was just googling and saw that there was an incident...my question is who would be held liable? With the amount of sue happy people out there...just my two cents. I do drive with my fridge on but do turn the propane off when fuelling.

BCx213 is offline   Reply With Quote