Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-15-2013, 06:08 AM   #1
RVDirect...What's up with these folks

I have been searching internet pricing for a new Jayco Greyhawk and I come across RVDirect. I send them a price quote request, after filling out the usual contact information, and they send a price back in a couple of minutes that is many thousands less than my local dealer. So, I send an email to Jayco asking about RVDirect, and after several days I still do not have a response.

I am wondering if RVDirect is real, what are the ramifications of buying from these folks, who does warranty work after the sale, or is this the catch. Is Jayco like the other manufacturers, in that dealers are not obligated to work on any coach they did not sell.

Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:27 AM   #2
I had a similar question last fall about rv direct. thread was titled: rvdirect anybody use them? I had a huge response and most all were favorable. I would have went that route except my dealer finally dropped his price to what we wanted and we wound up purchasing from our local dealer.

2000 dodge ram laramie slt,cummins, 2014 jayco eagle touring edition 28.5 rkds, 1996 scamper 065s
max2bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:19 AM   #3
RV Direct isn't a Jayco sales place, it's a dealer who happens to sell Jayco and others. Most of the responses on here about RV Direct have been pretty positive.
2012 GMC 2500HD D/A Crewcab
2012 Jayco Eagle SuperLite HT 26.5 RLS
2009 Crestliner Superhawk 1900
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:40 AM   #4
We used RV Direct's quote as a negotiating tool with the dealer. We were able to get within a few hundred. We felt that was fair. It was a very good price compared to the MSRP. I know some dealers will not work on units that aren't purchased from them. It is not a manufacturer's decision but a dealer decision.
Joe and Mary Anne
1 18 yr old DD
2014 Ram 2500 Diesel Laramie Mega Cab 4 X 4
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:11 AM   #5
Site Team
This thread may answer your questions about RVdirect:

2004 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0l, 4.10r

2010 Jayco Jayflight 28BHS
Reese Strait Line with Dual Cam
P3 Brk controller
Crabman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:33 AM   #6
This is the response I got from Jayco's regional sales representative:

Hello John,

This is a pretty common question regarding RV Direct. They are a legit company but they do have quite a process for attracting sales on the other side of the country. They have realized that they can dangle this “cheap price deal” knowing how it looks to the potential buyer to lure them away from the local dealers. However, there’s a price to be paid along with that “cheap price deal” that’s not realized until they have your attention and belief that you’re getting a steal of a deal that no one will match.

A couple of things to think about.

What’s the cost of getting there and getting back with your new MH?

How are you going to get the service needed when it’s needed? Your local dealer will service you, however, they will service their customers first which could become very inconvenient for YOU. The dealer in question realizes they will never see you again and never have to service you. There is a dollar value to that, great service can be priceless.

If it seems too good to be true….well?? It may not seem so now… eventually it will.

There’s always fine print

I find that local dealers are obviously willing to work with you to get to a price closer to the price being dangled, however in most cases they won’t get to the price being dangled, nor should they, they are in business to stay in business.

I think you’ll find that if you lived near RV Directs dealerships you will pay the price much the same that your local dealer is asking for theirs.

John, there are other variable’s to look at, but, for what it’s worth I would stay local if at all possible.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any other questions.

Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:57 AM   #7
We used RVDirect. The buying process could not have been easier. Both the salesperson and the finance manager were terrific. That's where it ended. The PDI was abysmal. I know that is not uncommon, but this was really bad. They really didn't know anything about the unit and most questions were answered with "just read the owners manual". On top of that, it took a half-hour to convince them that we purchased a Greyhawk and not a Whitehawk.

Attempts to contact the office post-sale, have been unsuccessful as well. They simply won't respond to an email or voicemail any longer. Great savings though. My local dealers couldn't get within $8k of the RVDirect deal and I would have had to compromise on the options that I wanted. For me, the savings was worth the other stuff, and I would do it again.

As far as servicing is concerned, we have a service-only center locally. They are a Jayco authorized center and are not biased about where you purchased your coach. Yes we had to drive it from Des Moines to Southern California. About an $800 trip with airfair and gas for my wife and I, but that was part of the fun. I guess it depends on your individual situation.
Brian, Mary, kids, beagle - Moose, and mutt - Maggie.
2012 Greyhawk 31FS
2013 Ford Explorer Toad
bgermane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:13 AM   #8
I too used the RV Direct quote to get a better deal. They came within $1,000, and that was good enough for me.
2012 Jayco Eagle 365BHS

2012 Silverado 2500HD CC Z71 Duramax/Allison

Curt Q20 Hitch with Roller

Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs

Gibby3275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #9
We recently purchased our new Eagle HT from RV Direct and I found the whole process pretty easy and straighforward. We picked the unit up in Des Moines, IA which is about 1,000 miles from where we live. Personally, I found the PDI very, very good. The guy who did the walk-through was very efficient and he pointed out everything and answered all my questions to my satisfaction and I asked him a lot of questions. I'd buy from them again in a heartbeat.
Mike, Sue, Sissy and Little Man

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:45 PM   #10
Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Sale process was top notch and price several thousand then anyone around my zip code. Sales team was a class act but their warranty support staff are non-existent, won't return calls, and to be quite frank aren't entirely honest. If you have a good independent RV repair service and you don't mind fixing small items yourself that may not even be a consideration.

Webber Family :campfire:
DW & 2 DD's
2013 Jayco Eagle 334RBTS
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote