Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2015, 03:02 PM   #1
Selling a RV

Well we decided a little while back that we were going to trade our TT in for a bigger trailer, I spoke to a few dealers about trading mine in and all they wanted to do is give us wholesale and below for the trade so long story short we decided to try and sell it ourselves and has been a big pain in the ***.

We first decided to take it to a consignment lot south of Ft. Worth, when we got into the details of the contract it was very one sided so I dropped that idea. So we towed the trailer all the way back home and put it up and so much for a few days’ work getting it ready.

I then listed it on RVTrader and all the Craig’s Lists within a few hundred miles of DFW and so far I got a text right after listing it on RVTrader from someone who wanted to buy it for full asking price but was to busy to call and he would have his agent get with me and pick it up. I sent him a text back telling him how funny I thought he was. Then another with a link I was supposed to click on, yeah right.

Since then I have been getting calls daily from marketing companies who want me to pay them to list my RV with them because they have thousands of buyers lined up right now who want a trailer just like mine.

I just got an email from some guy off of Craig’s List who wants to see if I would let him take over payments. Do I have MORON tattooed on my forehead? That was rhetorical!

So for you folks who have been successful at private selling an RV, tell me how you did it?

DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 04:06 PM   #2
We live on a busy street so we just put it out on the lawn with a "for sale" sign. We sold two that way, the day after we put it out there. If you don't live on a busy street, try your local newspaper or some type of local "ad" magazine (we have something called "Bargain Bulletin." How about also putting up a notice at your local hardware store/grocery store bulletin board. We also always make sure the people pay in cash or a cashier's check.

2015 Jay Flight 19RD
2007 Chrysler Aspen 5.7L Hemi V8
DebKen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 04:14 PM   #3
I agree with DebKen, we sold two trailers within a week because they were sitting at a location with high traffic volume. Got full asking on both and tons of inquiries.
Location, location!
Craig's List is where my BIL was offered a really good deal on a trailer too and it turned out to be a scam where you send the seller the money because he was out of the country etc etc... haha, he steered away from that one!
margiek53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 04:29 PM   #4
We finally sold our 2007 truck after unsuccessfully putting it in a vehicle (cars, trucks, RVs, etc.) lot where they charged a monthly handling/show (as opposed to consignment) fee, however we found the majority of their buyers didn't have the cash and couldn't get $0-down loans, so after 2 months and when the GMC dealer called looking to increase their used inventory, we sold it back and they made it a 'pre-owned certified' product (and could arrange loans) ~ lesson learned.

To share 'cautions' given to us: [1] Be careful when showing the RV, have other people with you (e.g., large intimidating men), [2] Always do the monetary transaction at a bank or credit union to verify validity of the cashiers check or bills, and [3] At the same time do the DMV vehicle transfer paperwork.
"I just go where I'm towed to"

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
2015 White Hawk 25BHS w/Outdoor Kitchen
2015 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD Z71/4x4 Duramax
Son's 2016 Ford F-150 Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 + gifted 1984 Coleman Sequoia Tent Trailer
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:03 PM   #5
I forgot to mention RV Trader. And like Hattie says -- be careful! We always did the transaction at our local AAA motor club as they have inexpensive title transfer rates.
2015 Jay Flight 19RD
2007 Chrysler Aspen 5.7L Hemi V8
DebKen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:14 PM   #6
Site Team
I sold my previous TT in one day on Craigslist and had two other legit interested parties.

2004 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0l, 4.10r

2010 Jayco Jayflight 28BHS
Reese Strait Line with Dual Cam
P3 Brk controller
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:54 PM   #7
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
I sold my previous TT in one day on Craigslist and had two other legit interested parties.

Like crabman I use craigslist. I have sold multiple vehicles, an atv and two dirt bikes on it with no problems...
2017 JayFlight 28BHBE
2014 JayFlight Swift 264BH (Sold)
2007 GMC 2500 Sierra Classic Crew Cab LBZ Duramax / 6spd Allison
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 06:09 PM   #8
I sold my truck on Craigslist the first day I put it up for sale and had several other calls on it as well. Also had the kooks! I have sold a couple travel trailers running an ad in our local shopper newspaper that goes out to many different regions. Worked really well.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:24 PM   #9
We sold our last trailer on Craigslist as well. In the description I put no scammers or low ballers. Also put in the payment terms certified local check or cash only. I never got an offer from a scam artist. Actually had 6 interested parties. All showed up looked at the trailer, a 2012 Jayco 197, and the tow vehicles each had were way too small.

Finally had a buyer, he drove 3 hrs, loved the camper and paid my asking price in cash.

2015 Jayco 24FBS Elite Jay Flight
2013 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4X4 6.0L 3.73 Axle
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller
Equal-i-zer Hitch 10k/1000
Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:53 AM   #10
I sold my first trailor, a Coleman PU using Craigs List. It took a little while (maybe a month) but it sold without hassle. When I bought my Greyhawk (off RV Trader, a non-dealer sale) I sold my Flagstaff Hybrid on RV trader. The OP is right that you immediately get bunches of folks trying to get you to list for money on their site, and other scammers. It did sell but it took two months or more.

2012 Greyhawk 31DS
2012 Ford Edge Toad

If I had anything better to do I would be doing it :)
snowbird47 is offline   Reply With Quote