Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-23-2017, 05:20 PM   #1

Short winter drive-black water tank question

We will be driving from southern Idaho to Arizona in a few days. We plan to stay one night in St George Utah, then on to the Phoenix area the next day. The temps along the way will be freezing or below at the start of our trip, and may or may not reach freezing during our one night in St George.

Our RV (2014 Red Hawk) is fully winterized, and we have no plans to fill the fresh water tank, "de-winterize" or use any water. We will, however, need to use the toilet. We plan on taking a few gallons jugs of water to flush with.

Our RV "repair guys" suggested adding about 2 cups of rock salt (like one would use in an old fashioned ice cream maker) to the tank to keep it from freezing. I've never heard of this--so thought I'd ask some other "experts"! My idea was to add some RV antifreeze to the black water tank, but they advised against this.

As an added note, our coach does have a black water tank heater, which we have not used before. Should we turn it on?

So what is your advice for our approx. 24 hours in possibly freezing temps?

Thanks in advance for any advice...
TVQ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 05:26 PM   #2

Uh we just added a little RV antifreeze.. And drove 2000 miles before unwinterizing.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 05:29 PM   #3

My first thought was use the RV antifreeze if you are worried about water freezing, not sure what if any problems it would cause.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 05:38 PM   #4

As someone who is well versed in using my RV in below zero temperatures (below zero, as in negative numbers).

Your RV repair guys gave good advice if the temps you will be in are not expected to drop below 25 degrees. Water Softener Salt, or rock salt will lower the freezing point of the water.

However, it is just as easy to mix your standard toilet chemical with a gallon of RV antifreeze. Depending on how long (how many over nights you will be), as you flush with the water, add a cup of RV antifreeze from time to time.

Black tank water heater? Perhaps someone who knows for sure can chime in. However, I believe that will only work when you are on generator or plugged into shore power.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 05:55 PM   #5

His tank heaters are 12v.

I would just turn them on and you should be fine. I've been out in 13 degree weather with unheated tanks and never had a proiblem
Old 02-23-2017, 06:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
His tank heaters are 12v.

I would just turn them on and you should be fine. I've been out in 13 degree weather with unheated tanks and never had a proiblem
If you turn on the tank heaters, the heating pads on all three tanks (BW, GW and FW) will be on. I don't think you are supposed to turn them on if any of the tanks are empty. If the OP is not putting any water in the FW tank, he may not want to use the heaters.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Roamer View Post
If you turn on the tank heaters, the heating pads on all three tanks (BW, GW and FW) will be on. I don't think you are supposed to turn them on if any of the tanks are empty. If the OP is not putting any water in the FW tank, he may not want to use the heaters.
Didn't know that, never had heat pads on any tanks. Still wouldn't worry about anything freezing. Plenty of expansion room.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:42 AM   #8

Thanks for the replies and advice. We will pick up a gallon of RV antifreeze today, and we plan to use that instead of the rock salt.

We will not use the tank heater. The switch does say tank heater--NOT black water tank heater, so I'm assuming it heats all three tanks. Thanks to NC Roamer for that advice!

The forecast is for the high 30's at night in St George, so we shouldn't have a problem at all.

Thanks again
TVQ
TVQ1 is offline   Reply With Quote