Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-17-2015, 09:32 AM   #11
We drove through WI this summer and I didn't have the same experience (being told #1). I kept to 60-65.

#1 is being safe. Do what it takes without jeopardizing safety of others as well.

I still drive the same speed up I29 where the limit is 75mph.

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:29 AM   #12
Here in Michigan there are campers being towed all the time throughout the summer. I go around 60 when towing mine and have never had any aggressiveness even with the lunatics that go 90. Maybe they're just not as common over the lake?

sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:43 AM   #13
I tow our TT at 60-62. I stay in the right lane or next to right lane if there are 3 or more lanes. I let the people that want to zoom go around.

On two lane roads, I keep an eye on the traffic behind me. When I accumulate 5 or more vehicles when there are no passing lanes, I find a place where I can safely pull off and let them go by. Yes sometimes they only get to go a half mile up the road before they are behind someone else, but I just get friendly waves.
2011 Skylark 21FKV
us71na is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:00 AM   #14
Heck, I get passed by everyone on the road even when traveling the speed limit.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:29 AM   #15
I think the big thing is the increase in the speed limit in Wisconsin. I do not recall the old maximum speed limit, but I think it was 60 mph on the interstates. You felt as if you are going really slow after coming out of Minnesota where our speed limit on the same road is 70. I think people feel as they can open up the throttle and go, and that is what they are trying to do, and us responsible ones are slowing them down. I have a feeling after a year or so, the thrill of going fast will be gone, and most of them will calm down.
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:19 PM   #16
Good point JA. It explains why I never felt like people were doing that in other states. In fact I was surprised on a trip to Kentucky a couple of years ago, most people weren't doing more than 70.

The former limit in WI was 65. Many drivers were already doing 75 so now 85 is the new 75.
2013 Jayco Jayfeather X20 E, 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 SLE
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:32 PM   #17
Here in TX, speed limits range anywhere from 55 on some of the rural roads to 85 on our infamous toll road TX-130. Most speeds are around 70, Interstates are mostly 75. People towing (travel trailers, big rigs, horse trailers ...) still drive 60-65 in the right lane. Once in a long while (usually in a metro area) you'll get one or two yahoos who get all aggressive around trailers, but it's rare in my experience.

I got behind a chicken truck the other day that had a sign on the rear that said "Speed governed at 65 mph", I thought that was a good thing.

Personally, I just do what I do, other drivers will just have to get over it. I DO go out of my way to stay out of other peoples' way though.

What OP describes is just ridiculous. I have no doubt it happens all over the country here or there, but I like to think it's not the norm. Down here, A LOT of people are towing or hauling various items, so it's common, and I think most other drivers stay relatively safe most of the time.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:14 PM   #18
I have not seen that behavior at all unless it was my fault. I have traveled OH to WA, down to CA, back to OH and then back to CA in the last 2 1/2 years following jobs and have had no anger issues. Sounds like you might have been in a "knot" of people that were being insane before they got to you and you obstructed them getting back at someone.
djtho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 03:00 PM   #19
Recently I observed the #1 sign being flashed thru the moon roof at another driver; the truck ahead of them was turning and so slowed down, I guess too much for them. At the next light I pulled along side of the offender to observe the driver, it was a 35-45 years old female!

Otherwise it's been years since I've seen this, and I'm always in the slow lane doing only the posted limit with a max of 65 when pulling.
2008 Jayco Eagle SuperLite 29.5
2014 F250 6.7 PSD 4X4, CC LB
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:28 PM   #20
As long as you are staying in the right lane and there is a passing lane, no has any right to be upset with you. Sadly, our world has become full of impatient north ends of south bound horses that only care for themselves.

One thing to consider is many RVers do hog the roads (I'm not saying you were). I wish I had a dollar for every time I got stuck behind some inconsiderate jerk in a motorhome driving well below the speed limit on a winding two lane road with few to no passing zones that refused to use the pullouts provided for slow drivers. Selfish idiots like that foment hostility for all RVers.

Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote