Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-15-2016, 06:58 PM   #11

Good grief Gunny - who writes your stuff, GEN. CHAPPY (ret)? As you should know, we Coasties seldom stayed out long enough to use that portion of the head! Ref abarki's query, "over the top"; I never could find the bitter end when unrolled from the bottom. I'm as confused about the type of paper as when I started this thread - Scott's, Costco, etc. - I asked initially because my dealer knew I camped in very cold weather, and he was of the opinion the dissolving stuff was less likely to freeze thereby reducing the likelihood of all kinds of havoc in the black tank. Watching Gunny's video (I haven't yet) may provide more guidance.

JEFF1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 07:17 PM   #12

Gunny, that kid on that video was a rock star - kinda reminded me of the first time I tried to field strip and reassemble the .45 in boot camp, ".. but Boats, I can't do this..". Anyway, "verified" - looks like many of the Forum responders are correct. Just 'cause it says MARINE or RV doesn't mean it disintegrates any better than some of the normal stuff. Now, if I can just refrain from "squeezing the Charmin"! Can't hardly wait to unroll the rest of any responses. Sorry, couldn't resist.

JEFF1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:03 PM   #13

And the bad puns just keep on coming. lmao.
I could 'wipe' the slate clean but I think we all know what a 'load' that would be.
Since you indicated that you camp in cold weather as do I from time to time. I will go ahead and give some tips for those times when a person may be camped in temps below freezing regarding the black tank usage.
As usual, you should utilize a chemical treatment and pre-treat your black tank with about a gallon or two prior to heading out. When the temps are in the teens and lower, also add a half gallon of the pink RV antifreeze, or buy some water softener salt, and add a couple of cups of that down your toilet. The water softener salts lowers the freezing point of the water (I learned this from a 'port a jon' company, who sets out portajons at construction sites here in Alaska). If you're going to be out several days, every time you use the toilet, add a cup or two of RV antifreeze (the stuff is cheap).
When we do a December campout and the temps are often 20 below zero or colder where we go, we do not even de-winterize the trailer. We have a 35 gallon portable water tank and hand pump we leave inside the trailer. Sure it can get in the way a bit but we are still camping/hunting.

Remember when you squeeze the Charmin, it's "Best for Bear Bottoms"

I wonder who will remember that slogan?
Previous: Northface tent/Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH
Lance Cabover/Prowler TT/WildernessTT/Tiltin Hiltin Cabover/Starcraft popup
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:59 PM   #14

Jeff,

My best advice is to test your own. It is simple to do, and will make you feel better. We use a TP that is made by Scott Paper , but at the local plant; I couldn't say that the ones made at Scott's five other facilities are any better. We use this one at home, and it is not listed as septic safe, etc.

BUT, I actually spend 20 minutes each spring checking a batch, and then throw a few rolls into the TT for the season when satisfied. Just check YouTube for a bunch of great videos on how to test your own. Basically, you just grab a mason jar, fold up 3-4 sheets, and immerse in water. Agitate gently, I rotate the jar 3-4 times, then let it stand for 15-20 minutes. If all you have left at the end of that is mush, you have the right stuff. If it still looks at all like the stuff you put in the jar, don't use it and try a different brand. Surprisingly, a lot of the "septic safe" stuff doesn't disintegrate all that quick. You want one that doesn't create wads that clog your sensors. RV waste rarely goes into septic systems, it goes into a small holding tank, followed by a much larger holding tank, followed by the local farmer's field...

bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote