Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2016, 12:47 PM   #11
We did it this year and lost our shirts. We are completely happy with what we wound up with but even with a good down payment on our camper last year we were upside down on the loan. The first camper was a learning experience and strongly shaped many of the requirements for the second. I don't see us moving away from this camper any time soon.

Some advice - trades are hard. Imagine walking into a dealer looking for a camper and seeing a slightly used camper on the lot for almost what a new one is going for...and the new one has the warranty.

I'd recommend selling it privately now, before the end of the season, or selling it around the beginning of next season. Private sale would be a lot easier to get out from your current loan. In hindsight, we didn't want to have two payments at the same time but we lost in the end.

Good luck either way!

2016 Jay Flight SLX 287BHSW
2015 Silverado 1500
BJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:07 PM   #12
I did the same thing, i didn't exactly lose my shirt but i wasn't overly happy about it either. We bought our x23F brand new (traded in a used X17) owned it for a little less than a year and traded it in for the trailer we currently have. All three transactions were done at the same dealer. I could have gotten more in a private sale but to me it wasn't worth the hassle of listing it, showing it to potential buyers and dealing with the money exchange.

2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 5.7 Hemi
2015 Jay Feather SLX 26BHSW
njdanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 04:38 AM   #13
I have done it twice too. Lost some on both deals the first time my trailer was two months old and used it three times and The dealer treated me fair . Its all in what you want and what you can afford to do . Your going to loose no matter what you do its just
a matter of how much.
kfpd404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 03:12 PM   #14
We've done it twice - trade-in figures were ridiculous. Both times we sold our trade-in to two different sons so that at least they'd reap the benefits instead of the dealer. First time our trailer was only a year old, second time 2 1/2 years old. But, as others have said, we are pleased with our decision, and it was well worth it in the end. If we'd kept what we had, it would have just kept eating at us that we wanted something different.
2017 Melbourne 24k - 2003 Jeep Wrangler
2013 Premier 19FBPR; 2013 Rpod 177 HRE
2011 Aliner Sport; 2008 Little Guy 5-Wide
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 03:32 PM   #15
Did it last fall. Traded in our 2013 Eagle 28.5 for a 2016 North Point 311 RKTS. We knew we were upside down on the Eagle, but after deciding to spend much more time on the road, we wanted something we were comfortable with. We returned to the dealer where we bought the Eagle. The only way we could get enough out of the Eagle was to trade up and not across. By upgrading to the North Point, they gave us enough to pay off the balance on the Eagle. We like the North Point and it has many more features. The down side is we have a higher monthly payment and we've had more problems with the North Point than any of our previous RVs combined. Still hoping for the best.

2016 Jayco North Point 311RKTS
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 Diesel
mtdawg is offline   Reply With Quote