Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-09-2017, 08:25 AM   #1

Electrial Failure Jayco 12BS

Plugged my Jayco 12BS into my brother-in-laws 50amp outlet he had installed for us using my 30 amp adapter and the AC, Fridge and heater would not function. Fridge works on DC. The breakers did not pop but I reset them and the GF outlet. Not sure if there is also a fuse that could have blown. The inverter is working and supplying DC the lights and furnace work. If it's something simple then I would not have to take to a dealer.
Thanks
Teschman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:48 AM   #2

Also,
It has a 20 amp and 15 amp breaker the 15 amp is live all the outlets are hot
Old 04-09-2017, 06:34 PM   #3

You said the heater wasn't working then you said the furnace was working. Maybe you mean the water heater.

One thing to keep in mind is the brains for pretty much everything you mentioned that isn't working, is 12v no matter if you are plugged in or not. So check all the 12v fuses. Even the fridge. Some trailers also have a 30a it on the tongue. Do you have a good battery in the camper? Sometimes a bad battery can cause goofy issues.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2017, 05:15 AM   #4

The AC unit also has an electrical heater so it both heats and cools. We have used it when all we need is to take the chill off. The battery is good no problem with it, the fridge will run off of DC all of the AC outlets have power, they all run off of the 15 amp breaker, it's a combo breaker 15 amp and 20 amp in one package. I think I will replace it and see if the 20 amp side is bad.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teschman View Post
The AC unit also has an electrical heater so it both heats and cools. We have used it when all we need is to take the chill off. The battery is good no problem with it, the fridge will run off of DC all of the AC outlets have power, they all run off of the 15 amp breaker, it's a combo breaker 15 amp and 20 amp in one package. I think I will replace it and see if the 20 amp side is bad.
Got it. I am not familiar with your unit so I was just throwing out general things to check.

If you are comfortable enough to replace a breaker on your own. It is not hard just unplug the camper first. What I would do first is open up the panel where the breaker is and make sure all the wires are tight. When these things go bouncing down the road sometimes they are not tight. My In-laws had this issue with their Big Horn 5er. They were having strange electrical issues and it was traced down to a loose wire in the breaker panel.

The fact that you have some things working on 12V means that can probably be ruled out. Are you sure the 50A socket is wired right? Maybe try and plug into a 20A 110V if you have the adapter going down and see if anything changes. You are not trying to run the AC so everything should work under that.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyExpress View Post
make sure that the 50 amp is 110v and not 220v.
50Amp RV is 220V. However it is 4 prongs. 2 legs of 110V hot, 1 Neutral and 1
Ground.

The 30A dogbone adapters take one of the 110V legs, the Neutral and Ground passing it through to the camper. This is so the camper only sees 110V. To get 220V you have to connect between the two 110v legs. There is no connection to the other leg so it is impossible to get 220V in the camper unless the 50A outlet is improperly wired.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:56 AM   #7

Checked the dogbone

I checked the dogbone and it was supplying one leg 110 volt to the camper. I did find a 30 amp fuse up by the battery and it tested good. Also replaced the 2 pole breaker 15-20 amp and it still did not fix the problem. The fridge outlet is on the 15 amp side. I guess it's time to take it in to the local service center. I tested the fridge outlet and the voltage is 120 so the fridge is getting AC just doesn't operate on AC but will operate when switched to DC. The Air Conditioner/Heater does not function at all.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:51 AM   #8

Sounds like you have tested about all you can. If you have 110v at the outlet the fridge plugs into then it must be a problem with the fridge.

Did you have a surge protector? Maybe you took a hit.