Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-25-2016, 09:08 PM   #161

I joined Cub Scouts and quickly burned out on 'crafts'. Stayed out till I was 13 when my parents forced me to attend a meeting of Troop 67 in Atlanta. Seven new kids joined that night - and since I was the oldest the Scoutmaster decided I should be the patrol leader. I was hooked and stayed actively involved in scouting for the next 25 years.
Never made Eagle - I tried but given the required waiting periods between ranks, starting at almost 14 I just couldn't make it past Life by 18.
Served as Asst. Scoutmaster, Scoutmaster, Committee Chair, District Order of the Arrow adviser, Trainer. Led 5 trips to Philmont, 2 Jamborees and 3 National OA conferences and was awarded the Silver Beaver.
Then my job changed and so did my life. I started traveling internationally for work - being gone months at a time. I also had 2 girls who had NO interest in Girl Scouts. So I turned the Troop over to my Asst. SM and he's been running it for the last 25 years. Sadly, I never had time to get re-involved.

My experiences in Scouting, and especially at Philmont, quite literally changed my life in so many ways. I found God on the top of Tooth of Time Ridge - seriously. And I still have many friends from those great years in Scouting.

Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:57 AM   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRay View Post
I joined Cub Scouts and quickly burned out on 'crafts'. Stayed out till I was 13 when my parents forced me to attend a meeting of Troop 67 in Atlanta. Seven new kids joined that night - and since I was the oldest the Scoutmaster decided I should be the patrol leader. I was hooked and stayed actively involved in scouting for the next 25 years.
Never made Eagle - I tried but given the required waiting periods between ranks, starting at almost 14 I just couldn't make it past Life by 18.
Served as Asst. Scoutmaster, Scoutmaster, Committee Chair, District Order of the Arrow adviser, Trainer. Led 5 trips to Philmont, 2 Jamborees and 3 National OA conferences and was awarded the Silver Beaver.
Then my job changed and so did my life. I started traveling internationally for work - being gone months at a time. I also had 2 girls who had NO interest in Girl Scouts. So I turned the Troop over to my Asst. SM and he's been running it for the last 25 years. Sadly, I never had time to get re-involved.

My experiences in Scouting, and especially at Philmont, quite literally changed my life in so many ways. I found God on the top of Tooth of Time Ridge - seriously. And I still have many friends from those great years in Scouting.
Lots of great scouting stories in this thread, but yours stands out. That's some very distinguished service.

I hope to get my son involved. I can't wait to get back out on the trails with my pack again. The mountains are already calling, and he's only 2 years old. DW won't go with us, but she'll keep our "base camp" nice and warm for us!

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 04:52 PM   #163

I was a Cub Scout in the mid 50's, for some reason I never found Boy Scouts, then was an Explorer Scout in the early 60's.

In the summer of '62 and '63 I took two 8 day canoe trips out of Charles L. Somers canoe base on Moose Lake MN into the Boundary Waters and across the border into the Quetico. Those were definitely the highlight of my scouting career - incredible trips into what was still a real wilderness back then - my first real camping experience. In 8 days it was just an unfortunate accident if you ran across even one other group the entire time. We paddled and portaged 94 miles the first year and 140 miles the second. The best part was that the entire trip cost $37.50 each (not counting gas to drive up there from the Twin Cities area).

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 05:20 PM   #164

I'm now enjoying it all over again with my grandson here in Bellingham. I don't know where the time went, it seems like yesterday when I first started camping with the scouts.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 11-03-2016, 07:27 PM   #165

Greta times remembered.

I helped my son with his cub and webelies time and became assistant Scout master and Scoutmaster when he got to Boy Scouts. I didn't get to be in scouting when I was a boy so had to experience it as an adult. My son earned his Eagle and a bronze palm and then we went on to Explorers. I was the Explorer leader for him as well. I then went on to be Unit Comissioner and District Commissioner earning my Woodbridge along the way. I taught commissioners at a College of Comissioner Science at Carson City, NV for several years. I eventually earned the Silver Beaver award and Brotherhood member of the Order of the Arrow. The time I spent with all those young men was priceless and I treasure every moment. The highlight of my scouting time was a 50 mile canoe trip at the Charles Summers boundary waters in Minnesota taken with my wife and son and several other boys and adults.
Jarm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 08:16 AM   #166

Really, there were more "highlights" than I can count in my scouting career, but canoeing the Boundary Waters in MN stands near the top. That was an absolutely fantastic trip that I will never forget.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 06:36 PM   #167

25 years total. The adult stuff includes

Scouter: signing the front of the check
District Award of Merit
Vigil Honor OA
Scoutmaster
Venturing Advisor
Commissioner

Professional: signing the back of the check
Camp Director
Laguna Station High Adventure Sea Base on South Padre Island Texas
District Exec
Soccer and Scouting

Favorite Book On The Road
Currently Reading Picture of Dorian Gray
Author of Mack Thomas: The Total Beat
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 07:45 PM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustdevil View Post
Was a scout in the 70s, part of the time in Troop 1, arguably the oldest troop this side of the Mississippi.
I too just saw this thread. Dustdevil, did you ever make it up to Camp Whitsett in northern Kern county? That was always such a wonderful week of camping.
I was a Cub Scout and then a Boy Scout with Troop 2 in Saugus, along with my older brothers back in the late 60's to mid 70's. We did a lot of backpacking trips in those days. The most memorable was our trek up Mt. Whitney when I was 14. While camping at the base camp in late August it snowed on us. Fun times for a kid.
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 04:26 AM   #169

Texas city Texas Boy Scouts troop 246
and cub scouts also,my mom was a Den mother
Good times !
2017 Eagle 330RSTS
2014 Ram 3500

herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:12 AM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert RVers View Post
I too just saw this thread. Dustdevil, did you ever make it up to Camp Whitsett in northern Kern county? That was always such a wonderful week of camping.
I was a Cub Scout and then a Boy Scout with Troop 2 in Saugus, along with my older brothers back in the late 60's to mid 70's. We did a lot of backpacking trips in those days. The most memorable was our trek up Mt. Whitney when I was 14. While camping at the base camp in late August it snowed on us. Fun times for a kid.
My boys have gone to Camp Whitsett a couple of summers now!

My oldest son is doing his Eagle project this weekend. Installing a flagpole and memorial plaque for fallen FBI agents at a government training facility here in SoCal. Pictures to follow.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote