Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-27-2017, 09:36 AM   #1

Battery Charging issue (new Seismic)

I have a 2017 Jayco Seismic with what I think is a bad converter. It has a Progressive Dynamics 4590 and according to the trouble shooting guide it is working fine as it gives 13.6v at the convert however when you disconnect the batteries and measure the voltage with a meter it reads nothing. My batteries are draining each day I have been manually recharging them as the unit does not seem to be doing anything. I have check all fuses, breaks and all 8 batteries hold a charge so its not the batteries. Any ideas?

Camping world is booked 2 weeks out no other authorized dealers around.
Powerstroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:00 AM   #2

I had the same problem last summer with my octane. After two days of trying to figure out why the battery wouldn't charge I figured out my 30 amp fuse was blown. Once I replaced the fuse everything went back to charging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
6 Speed Manual
farnik78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstroked View Post
I have a 2017 Jayco Seismic with what I think is a bad converter. It has a Progressive Dynamics 4590 and according to the trouble shooting guide it is working fine as it gives 13.6v at the convert however when you disconnect the batteries and measure the voltage with a meter it reads nothing. My batteries are draining each day I have been manually recharging them as the unit does not seem to be doing anything. I have check all fuses, breaks and all 8 batteries hold a charge so its not the batteries. Any ideas?

Camping world is booked 2 weeks out no other authorized dealers around.
Did you check the fuse at the battery cut off switch? Ours failed not long after delivery, it was 50 Amp and Jayco recommended replace with resettable 80 amp
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg, 6 - 6 volt AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...albums843.html Check this out.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-34672-3.html
Loboclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 06:57 PM   #4

I learned if you put AGM cells in they won't charge. Learned this the hard way. The charger isn't capable of charging them. Wet cells only. Just an FYI for those considering investing in them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
P25ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by P25ct View Post
I learned if you put AGM cells in they won't charge. Learned this the hard way. The charger isn't capable of charging them. Wet cells only. Just an FYI for those considering investing in them.

Interesting comment since AGM s is the only battery I have ever used in our Sesimic since delivery. Never had any charging issues what so ever and I have a residential fridge. Just returned from 4 month trip, other than the suspension failing was a nice 7200 mile adventure.
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg, 6 - 6 volt AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...albums843.html Check this out.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-34672-3.html
Loboclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:00 PM   #6

Now see that's what I thought when I installed them. Today when I dropped off for warranty service they told me that my concern about batteries not charging as because the converter charger won't charge AGMs properly.

Glad you guys had a great trip. 7200 miles!! Wow. Only 20 more years to retirement! Sounds like many of your earlier issues have been rectified. I just dropped off with a whole list. Two somewhat major. Bowed rear door and sagging bedroom roof under AC unit. We shall see what they say. They are a great shop so I have confidence.

P25ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:13 PM   #7

My rig has a PD4060K. I was told by the Progressive Dynamics folks that this converter would charge AGM batteries properly. Perhaps the 4590 has different specs.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:50 PM   #8

Group 24 not group 27.

We had a similar issue with our Octane 273. Battery was always dead. Found out that the dealer had put in a group 24 not a group 27 as the manual states. Replaced with the group 27 and haven't had an issue yet. Doesn't mean it isn't lurking around the corner. :-)
Octane2Go is offline   Reply With Quote