Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-01-2016, 05:38 PM   #1

Frustrated Alante 26 owner

Tomorrow, we are taking our coach in for warranty repairs to our selling dealer, some items for the 3rd and 4th time. We are frustrated to no end. The dealer is 140 miles away round trip. Both my wife and I must take time off work to do this. The other certified dealer is 130 miles away round trip, and they are rated worse than our dealer. The next closest is 180 miles away. We are now closing in on putting more miles on the coach going in for service than enjoying it. It is particularly galling to drive all that way, and things that were supposed to be fixed, don't work wen we get there, or they don't get to half the list and we have to go back. I tried leaving it for two weeks, and they still couldn't get it done, or done right.

Jayco produces a krappy product. In five months of ownership, we have had failures of the: refrigerator; generator; water heater; fresh water intake valve to the toilet; shower pan seals; console entertainment system & back up camera; automatic door step retrieval; leveling jacks; wiring bundles; curling linoleum due to leaks; satellite installation; television wiring; and the driver's side window, which is not square and won't open. In addition, the kitchen wallpaper on the backsplash is bubbled and baggy, and there is a nail point sticking through the backsplash wall where one of Jayco's finest framers missed the stud with his nail gun!

Jayco's 2 year warranty is a joke, and in my opinion misrepresented. If they do not have sufficient certified warranty service centers within a reasonable distance who are trained and qualified to do the work right the first time, the warranty is essentially nullified. If one were a cynic, it might be said this limited availability and even perhaps, underqualification of servicing dealers, is deliberate, itself a cynical ploy by the factory to limit warranty cost exposure when people like us just give up in frustration and pay out-of-pocket to someone who can actually fix the stuff.

If anyone reading this has a contact at the factory who can help me get a waiver for local warranty service, I would be grateful.

In the meantime, we will never consider another Jayco product, nor can we recommend it to anyone we meet.
Michael Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 09:03 PM   #2

Many Jayco owners report that after contacting Jayco support that they [Jayco] approves warranty repairs at other repair facilities when needed.

It might be best to contact a repair facility and ask them to contact Jayco on your behalf for repair approval--eliminates any question about actual repairs needed and frees up your time.

For your reference here is a discussion with information regarding contacting Jayco support;
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f5...nce-32000.html

Best of luck getting everything resolved and please let us know how it works out for you.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 02:38 AM   #3
Site Team

I can hear your frustration and hope you can get some satisfaction. Components that fail in rv's are by and large the same in most all other rv's which are built at the same price point.

I'm not saying there is not room for more quality control in assembly but your results may not be to different with any comparable make of mh.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 09:18 AM   #4

Our dealer has fixed every issue we have had. The only thing that I can complain about is how slow the factory is to ship out replacement parts.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 11:47 AM   #5
Site Team

Yes, I am also waiting on back ordered parts for a light fixture cover. Not a warranty purchase.

I just got a slide gasket that took about a month to get but it did not hold up anything.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 06:55 PM   #6

As Norty1 points out, most RVs use the same components, such as Norcold or Dometic refrigerators, Suburban or Atwood or Girard hot water heaters, Jensen TVs, Onan or Generac generators, etc, etc. The fact that you have had SO many different components fail is very unusual, since many of these components are tried, true, and tested designs that have been used for decades in the RV industry. The chance of so many disparate systems manufactured by a multitude of companies failing independently of each other in such a short time is nearly impossible.....which points to some other common denominator. The wiring in these RVs are quite complicated and if installed wrong, can cause serious headaches and frustration. I am no electrical expert by any means, but I'm sure one or two new (or hung over) technicians installing harnesses in an RV can lay the groundwork for insanity later on down the road. Sounds like you need to take your coach straight to the factory and get them to do some serious rebuilding of its electrical harnesses. It's too bad your dealer doesn't appear engaged or concerned....which is 90% of the problem.
Cycledoc675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:02 PM   #7

P.S. It is a shame that you have had such a horrific experience with your Jayco Alante. While we have all had our share of RV issues (and if you own a motorhome, it is not a matter of IF but WHEN and HOW MANY), I have had a fantastic two year journey with my Jayco Precept. Only significant issue was I had to replace the front air conditioner under warranty and replace my deep cycle batteries after 20 months......THAT'S IT! And I know of others on this forum having an equally exceptional experience. I realize that you want to get your work done locally, but I don't think you will get satisfaction from anyone but the factory. Since you are stuck with your Jayco, you need to try everything you can to get it fixed at the factory. You might be able to salvage some good times in it afterwards.
Cycledoc675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:34 AM   #8

Good Advice

Cycledoc, good for you. Your analysis of the situation and advice to fix the multitude of problems is the best advice Michael could get. Unfortunately, the trip from California is a long one. But I’ve been to the factory for fixes and know many others who have done the same. Jayco is tops at providing customer service and dedicated to happy costumers. If Michael could get to Indiana by combining it with other trips, it would be worth it.

Bob
2015 Equinox, Blue Ox Avanta LX
Bobs A Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:04 PM   #9

Norty1.

since you are in Vallejo (I'm in Fremont), I assume you are referring to
Manteca Dealer? If so, I can understand your frustration.
I bought a 31ul from them in April 2015. I contact Jayco about using
other options for service (including warranty work). That IS ok .
see email from Roger Johnson below:

Sent: Monday, September 19, 2016 5:50:22 AM
Subject: RE: Remibursement for bed slide

Good morning,

We can work with a local repair facility, including mobile services. You’ll just need to ask what their billing policies are. We are check based and if they want payment at time of service then we will have to reimburse you.

Let me know how I can assist.

Roger Johnson
Customer Service Manager
Jayco Motorhome Group
Providing you - Generations of Family Fun
Jayco, Inc.
Ph: 1-800-517-9137
Arniesports60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:07 PM   #10

and wanted to add -
Jayco (my contacts back in Indiana) have been nothing but Fantastic.
in my many questions and need for assistance...
Arniesports60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:00 AM   #11

I so feel your pain!! My new 2016 26AY has had a long list of mostly minor issues that needed repair, and the selling dealer was, as you experienced, mostly either unqualified or inept. Kinked water lines, cracked roof, water leak in outside entertainment center, leveling jacks not working correctly, miswired so the coach FALLS off the jacks if you put the overhead bunk down, stereo unit falling out of the dash, slide misaligned so we get shavings on the floor every time we run it. Drivers window creaks and pops while running down the road, bad caulking inside, a big lump of dried pipe joint sealant in the toilet drain pipe backing it up every time you use it, and so on.
I was able to repair most of the items myself, a few by the dealer (after many trips) and some with the help of Jayco CS rep Randy West, he sent me the roof repair patch material after the dealer ordered the incorrect parts 2 times, he also got my local repair shop (VERY good work and fast) authorized to do warranty work.
We have actually made 2 trips now without anything new going wrong so I am hoping we have got them all.
Now the handling of the F53 chassis is a whole other story!!
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:59 PM   #12

I feel your pain, yes problems pop up, but the service doesn't have to be this way.

We had our Precept for right at a year, lot of small problems I considered non issues and repaired it them my self.

However, a year into it and our shower door was never correctly repaired, neither was our cable TV, our cable never worked. I actually asked is this why it's a 2 year warranty? It takes two years to fix?

My dealer blamed slow parts from Jayco. Jayco at times would say they didn't see the order.... who knows the truth?

I can tell you this, when we traded for a different brand coach our lp heater stopped working the night before. Had to push the water heater reset 25 times over the first year, generator stopped, Onan did an excellent job replacing a circuit board while we waited..... I was one of the few that liked the on demand hot water heater, we do no boondocking.

Our new coach (3 months old) has had a couple minor issues. A cabinet latch broke, dealer fixed it when I drove in with no appointment, a week later I received 3 more latches from the manufacturer. I now have a few extra parts.

I asked if I could get a strip of wall paper, there was a very small nick at the bottom of a door frame. I week later 20 feet show up!

My DW noticed a very small red stain on the edge of the comforter, about 10 days later a new comforter shows up.

This coach has double pane windows (I highly recommend), one widow has some condensation in it (a broken seal). Dealer notified, they call me 10 days later new window pane waiting on me. I'm taking it over this weekend for that repair, I have been offered a dinner while there.

Now I'm looking for more problems....maybe I can get a whole weekend

Morale to the story, a good dealer and a good manufacturer can make life easier.

Steve
Old 04-19-2017, 08:04 PM   #13

Couldn't say enough for our dealer. Fretz RV in Souderton PA. It takes all day to go there but worth the trip. We bought our first unit there too
suscamper is offline   Reply With Quote