Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-11-2017, 02:41 PM   #1

Mods to my 2017 JayFlight 174bh!!!!!

Here are pics of some of the mods I've done to my 2017 174bh so far.
These are easy things to do and ones I quickly realized were needed.

*under bed access - corner brackets and flat bracket to strengthen frame, cut out door, turn buttons, trim piece. I know that it may not be as easy as lifting the bed/board up, but seems easier and cheaper to me as we always seem to have stuff on the bed in a smaller travel trailer like ours. Still have to sand/stain the one side of plywood by the turn buttons.
The queen mattress pad/cover is the Mainstays 1" thick one from Walmart $21.

*gutter extensions (Amazon) with 1 screw to stay on!! I think they will last and just think it's funny that so many people complained about them coming off all the time!

*Shower curtain hold down with LED U mount channel Home Depot item # 406171 and 1/2" driveway backer rod inserted into channel.
Came up with this myself as I was looking for cheap channel for LED light tape (the flat kind) for the outside awning of my camper and thought this would work to hold the shower curtain down against at least 1 wall in shower.

*Tidee Tub splash guards (Amazon) for shower tub insert - cut back piece with dremel to fit tub at corner. I have only installed the one by the toilet in the back as the front one may make access harder to not hit it.

*Con-tact heavy duty Shelf Liner (Target $8?) and flex tray bins from Home Depot were clearance for $2 after Christmas. These things are very flexible, hold liquids if spills and won't scratch the wood - and flexible!

What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
access brackets1.jpg   access1.jpg   access2.jpg   gutter1.jpg   showercurtain2.jpg  

showercurtain3.jpg   showercurtain1.jpg   shelf liner and bins.jpg  
esunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:20 PM   #2

Very nice! 175RD here! Love the mods
TMatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:00 AM   #3

Very Nice! I have the same model. Love the floor plan and bang for the buck.

I am also working on a host of upgrades from now till the end of April. At that point we will be setting the new TT up at the lake for our new summer home! Check out my photos here. http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/me...lbums1366.html

Here are some other things on my list...
-MaxAir II vent covers
-Vortex II Fans
-Bunk curtains
-Hindged prop-up bar attached under front queen bed
-USB outlet in bunk
-new shower fixtures; shower head & faucet
-mounted tv and dvd player (kids)
-removed unneeded paneling under sink
-front stabilizer jacks
-propane and battery locks (seasonal fixed site)
-Dinette table, wall track cover (sharp, kids)
-LED lights mounted under TT
-Retractable step rug
-Bunk handles and foot step/grip (kids)
-Replace stereo and speakers
-Add toolbox to TT tongue (lockable battery and tools storage)
-Add hinged access to FW tank under bed

I will keep the album updated as I go. I lot of my initial mods and money went into basic utilities. Fresh water connection with hoses, regulator, filters and connectors. Waste disposal hoses, connections and caps. And electrical; 30 volt extension cord, adapters and power defender.
Youngstown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:00 AM   #4

[QUOTE=esunday;498147]Here are pics of some of the mods I've done to my 2017 174bh so far.

*Shower curtain hold down with LED U mount channel Home Depot item # 406171 and 1/2" driveway backer rod inserted into channel.
Came up with this myself as I was looking for cheap channel for LED light tape (the flat kind) for the outside awning of my camper and thought this would work to hold the shower curtain down against at least 1 wall in shower.

Great list of mods and the one I need help with is the " U mount channel ", what department did you find that in and is that backer rod 1/2" foam?

Thanks, Tunce
Old 03-12-2017, 02:30 PM   #5

the u channel is in the led lighting section in a pvc pipe connected to side of shelf. website should tell you isle and slot. yes, 1/2" foam backer rod.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:30 PM   #6

Thanks for sharing. Like the idea of adding a door for under bed storage. May incorporate the same thing for storage under the dinette seating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2015 Ram 1500 Lonestar Crew Cab 5.7L
Neil S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by esunday View Post
the u channel is in the led lighting section in a pvc pipe connected to side of shelf. website should tell you isle and slot. yes, 1/2" foam backer rod.
I picked up the parts tonight at HomeDepot and they were right where you said they were ( same location in the Bellingham store). Will install tomorrow and that will be the end of water on the floor when we take a shower.
Thanks again, Tunce
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 03-14-2017, 03:20 PM   #8

Did the shower curtain mod today and it took no longer that 10 minutes. Wish I knew about this 3-4 years ago as the water spray always got through and some on the floor. Problem is now solved 100% and guests no longer need a lesson in shower curtain blow by. My total cost was $8.42
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 03-15-2017, 07:21 AM   #9

So, is this mod trapping the edge of the curtain in a channel? I'm having as hard time being sure if that is what I am looking at.
(ordered 5/9/16, arrived 10/17/16, brought home 4/14/17)
2005 Trail Cruiser TL-26QBH (sold)
1984 Coachmen PUP (sold)
NismoGriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:36 PM   #10

yes. the shower curtain is fastened behind the foam backer rod in the track. very secure and easily removed or replaced when old or worn out.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:33 PM   #11

Ordered the tidy tub and should arrive tomorrow. $8 next day shipping!? Yes please! Also attempted to source the curtain hold mod... They were out of the 1/2" backer plate and I never found a light weight LED channel.

I'll try Home Depot tomorrow
TMatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 04:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by esunday View Post
yes. the shower curtain is fastened behind the foam backer rod in the track. very secure and easily removed or replaced when old or worn out.
Thanks. I thought that was what I was seeing but for some reason whenever I click on thumbnails in this forum they don't enlarge. The screen goes grey where they would normally appear enlarged, but the picture isn't there and it was making it hard for me to tell for sure what was being done. It's a work computer so maybe IT has some kind of pop-up blocker enabled. I know my old TT had some velcro on the shower curtain to hold it in place but it was not totally secured. I haven't even brought the new TT home yet but this may be on the mod list now.
(ordered 5/9/16, arrived 10/17/16, brought home 4/14/17)
2005 Trail Cruiser TL-26QBH (sold)
1984 Coachmen PUP (sold)
NismoGriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:36 PM   #13

Couple other mods I'm working on...
Vortex II fan install
Maxxair vent cover
Installed Oxygenics showerhead
2 dimmers w remotes for just 2 of the LED ceiling puck lights
TV wall mount for 24" Vizio
Mud/rain flaps on TT wheels
Under awning Meilo LED rope light w multi colors and remote from wally world
Curtain---finishing curtain for bathroom door. We hate the amount of space the wood door takes up and how it cuts access to bunks. I am removing door and almost done with a thick blackout curtain cut to size of doorway.
Attached Thumbnails
20170418_150628.jpg  
Old 05-31-2017, 08:29 PM   #14

More mods on my 174bh photo album

check out my updated album of photos on mods.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/me...lbums1407.html
Old 09-09-2017, 08:50 AM   #15

Jay Flight SLX 174BH Newbie

Yo Guys!

Really great mods!

My lady and I are picking up a 2018 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 174BH next week. I wanted to accommodate my 4 year old girl and 8 year old boy. Selling point was the floor plan!

I was a bit of an Airstream snob at one point and had a 1964, 17' foot Bambi, a 2008, 19" Flying Cloud and a 2011, 23' Interstate.

I'm one year out of a divorce and back wanting to do some camping with the kiddos. The bunks in the SLX 174BH sold me.

I'm here for some tips and tricks and to see what mods might work for this little guy.

Cheers,
Rik
DevilCityAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:45 AM   #16

A few of my 174BH mods

Here are a few of the mods I did to my 174Bh. I have a 13500btu roof a/c and found out really quickly that the air coming through the vents makes it really hard to hear the tv which is mounted on the underside of the cabinet over the sink area. So I had to install a soundbar over the head of our bed and installed a selector switch A/B circuit to hear either the TV or the radio while lying in bed. I had to hide the tv output wire coming out of the tv over to the soundbar and routed the wire over the entry door of the rv by using a piece of wood routered out on the back to hide the wire. I just stained the wood the same color as the cabinets. I made and installed two cabinets one at each end of the bed to hold a time clock at the foot end of the bed and reading lights/12volt charging ports for phones at head end of bed. I also made some drop-in drawers to go under one of the seat benches at the table; This makes it nice to store small items. The pantry I rigged with a single switch to turn on all LED lights in the shelving area. The radio panel I removed and reused the wood to build a cubby above the radio to hold small items like remotes or whatever else I might need to put there.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20171003_100618648.jpg   IMG_20171003_100630696.jpg   IMG_20171003_100638726.jpg   IMG_20171003_100704799.jpg   IMG_20171003_100729866.jpg  

Fire&Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:04 AM   #17

Very nice job!
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:10 PM   #18

Thanks for the complement. I also added a 6"x6" muffin type fan to the upper exhaust vent for the refrigerator. This really helps the refrigerator cool down and maintain temps on those Florida sauna days. I had to purchase a 120v fan to do this and and installed an on/off switch behind the vent. I can set the fan to come on at a predetermined exhaust vent temp of 130degrees as well because I installed a klixon on type thermal switch on the upper heat shield. It's fun making mods and doing things to help the convenience factor. I do a little bit of everything from welding, woodworking and electrical so I can keep the costs down by doing it myself. Too bad a lot of young people today never experience the gratification of making things themselves. Most of them only make time for social networking.
Fire&Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:43 AM   #19

Great mods! Thanks for the inspiration!
DevilCityAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 07:34 PM   #20

Pictures missing??!!

I don't know where ALL of the other pictures went that I originally had posted in this thread. I have a bunch more pictures of my mods missing?
Does the forum eventually delete pictures attached if there area too many?
I had like 10 or 15 more when I created this?

Tags
174bh, gutters, mods, shower, under bed storage