Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-06-2015, 07:20 AM   #11
If need be, you can also pull the camper and dump during the weekend if you need to. Best thing is to get out there and use it, as you will learn the approximate capacity of your tanks as you go. You will also probably find that the black tank sensors don't work very reliably after the first use. Do you have a dump station at your home?

djtho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:22 AM   #12
ALot of us don't use the black tanks when not connected to sewer at the camp spot. It is usually just as easy to go the CG restroom. The walk will do you some good. Of course those things do come up in the middle of the night... Be glad it is there to use when you need to.

I have seen some campers will use a tote sitting in the back of their truck bed an pump the black tank using one of those 12VDC macerator pumps. Then they tie off the hose high and drive to the dump site and gravity feed the tote empty. Just be sure the tote is same size as the black tank to prevent overfill...

Roy Ken

Roy and Carolyn
I claim Horse Creek Country in Southern Ill - Momabear is from North Texas
We live in King George VA

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:27 AM   #13
another tip

My wife will often wash dishes in a small tub that fits in the sink, then dump it in the toilet. Saves space in grey tank AND helps flush the black tank.
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:30 AM   #14
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
Using paper plates, bowls and glasses and only having to wash silverware and pots/pans can save a lot of water, too.
Yep! And you can burn the leftover paper plates in your campfire, cutting back on the amount of stuff in the dumpster/landfill.

The gray tank will definitely be your concern. I had a 40 gallon gray tank on the Outback, so getting used to 30 gallons will make me monitor it more closely. We usually use the shower facilities at the campground, but you would be surprised how much water can be used when washing dishes, hands, and brushing teeth if you aren't always thinking about it.

As far as the black tank, we use the campground facilities during the day (unless the pit toilets are too funky) and the trailer toilet at night.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:42 AM   #15
Most of our camping trips are long weekends, Friday to Sunday, at state parks without sewer hookups. Our Jayco White Hawk 21FBS has 30.5 gallon tanks. Black makes it easily for the weekend. Almost always use the campground bathhouse for showers, just because we like long, hot showers and not military ones. We just try to be conscience of our gray water use and have never had a problem.

Mark, Kelley and our mutt, Macy
2014 Chevy Silverado
2015 Jayco White Hawk 21FBS
mk4ever86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:49 AM   #16
Site Team
Just consider a portable tank to haul your grey water. Pick up a used one on craigslist.

2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:55 AM   #17
Originally Posted by Cosmik Debris View Post
My wife will often wash dishes in a small tub that fits in the sink, then dump it in the toilet. Saves space in grey tank AND helps flush the black tank.
X2 and I find it helps to keep the black tank fresh.
Mike, Sue, Sissy and Little Man

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:08 AM   #18
A note when you dump black water tank; be sure it is 2/3 to 3/4 full when you empty it. It will assure the tank totally empties with no klingons.

2015 White Hawk 20MRB
2011 F150 Non EcoBoost (5.0)
Andersen Hitch
Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:29 PM   #19
Originally Posted by Cosmik Debris View Post

This is what we did last time we were out without hookups. We use the shower in our rig too, but I've trained DW how to take "Navy" showers. We stayed out 2 nights, we both took showers each night, we cooked almost all our meals in the trailer and washed dishes, and washed our hands frequently. By the end of the weekend, our gray was 2/3 full and black was almost full (because of dish water; I had her stop dumping it in the BT late on the 2nd day. When we dumped it, I had plenty of liquid for a good flush).

It's not hard to manage your water usage and manage your waste tanks with a little planning and some careful consideration. 3 nights is certainly doable especially if you use the CG facilities as much as possible. DW doesn't like to do it, but now that she knows we can, she's more open to sites without sewer.

She will never use the CG facilities for showers, and honestly, I probably wouldn't either. I can take a "backpacking" shower if I need to using one cup of water and a bandana. It takes a while, but it's effective. Or if push comes to shove, I'll break out the biodegradable Camp Suds (yes, I still take them with us) and take a bathing suit shower off the back of the trailer using the outside shower.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:45 PM   #20
We have a 9 Black and a 15 Gray and can do 2 nights (family of 3). Any longer than that and we are pushing it. For us black fills first as we are quite conservative with dish washing and showers.

BrettSLC is offline   Reply With Quote