Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-18-2017, 02:13 PM   #1
Fin

Picking up X213 soon

Ok all, we are picking up a new 2016 model X213 on Monday and it's our first travel trailer, any advice? Things to look for? Advice of any kind would be appreciated.

Cheers

Fin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 03:03 PM   #2

Spend as much time as you think is necessary for a full PDI. Don't let then rush you; ask questions until you are comfortable. Got a GoPro? Strap it on and record the whole thing. Don't sweat the details TOO much though; campers love to help, so don't be afraid to ask a neighbor for help if you get stuck.

Read one of several threads here on the absolute basics required for initial setup. Generally you need all of the gear to fill your tanks, or hook up water, empty your tanks, hook up to the power post safely, and hitch and tow safely. If those are covered you are set.

Second suggestion is to start in Camp Driveway for the first outing. Everything you forgot to pack is only a few feet away.

Third, once you think you have your gear sorted, head to a CAT scale and find out what your weights are. There are a few along the 401 corridor. Now use that information to adjust your hitch correctly; don't think that the dealer knew what he was doing when he set it up for your empty trailer.

Four, don't forget to relax and crack a beer when you are finally setup.

Congratulations on your new TT!
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:07 PM   #3

Yes, walk through is very important. Make sure you spend a lot of time going through everything on pre-purchase inspection and understanding how everything works.

Agree that you need to test it out at home first before going out on your first camping trip.

Also, whatever amount of $ you plan on spending for accessories, triple it. My Amazon account is on fire lately due to purchasing a Hybrid TT.

Congrats and enjoy.
gdiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:22 PM   #4
Fin

Thanks guys, I've been reading posts for three months now and have a long list of things I need before our first trip and an even longer list of the things I want. My visa is in tears. Lol Pretty sure I'm set there.

We will be camping in the drive a few nights as you mentioned. A great idea and it'll also get my boys off my back till we really go camping in a few weeks.

Thanks for the cat scale idea too. I thought I'd be fine with the dealer setup of our weight distribution hitch. I'll be sure to weigh up when loaded. There is one about five minutes from here on the 401.

I'll be sure to let you know how it goes and dump a dozen or so more questions on you all.

Cheers

Fin

Old 04-18-2017, 09:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin View Post
Thanks guys, I've been reading posts for three months now and have a long list of things I need before our first trip and an even longer list of the things I want. My visa is in tears. Lol Pretty sure I'm set there.

We will be camping in the drive a few nights as you mentioned. A great idea and it'll also get my boys off my back till we really go camping in a few weeks.

Thanks for the cat scale idea too. I thought I'd be fine with the dealer setup of our weight distribution hitch. I'll be sure to weigh up when loaded. There is one about five minutes from here on the 401.

I'll be sure to let you know how it goes and dump a dozen or so more questions on you all.

Cheers

Fin

Get a set of lynx blocks for levelling, a pair of x chocks to block the tires, chemical for the black tank. Since We dry camp often, I have both the 2000 & 3100 Champion generators as well as a Go Power 120 watt suitcase solar panel with built in charge controller for charging the battery. On my X213, I also changed all the lighting to led bulbs. Get the biggest battery, at least a group 27 deep cycle. Dealers will put in a group 24 like they did to mine....oh I also changed out the cheap t-stat. Mine was a pain to switch on. I also added a Max Airii cover on the vent so I could leave the vent open in rain.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:30 AM   #6

Love my X213 as well. In the next couple weeks I'll be prepping it for the season. An epic trip is planned this summer.

Equipment that you need:
* Bunk ladder (depending on if you can toss kids into the bunks - I made one Jayco X213 Bunk Ladder – Restricted Ayerspace)
* Power cord adapter - just in case there's not a 30A outlet)
* Sewer Hose
* TP & Chemicals
* Wheel Chocks - I have some lightweight cheap ones...but they suck Need better ones - always chock your wheels before you disconnect the trailer from the tow vehicle! *DOH*
* Fresh Water Hose) - don't use this to clean with!
* Water Filter (dependent on location: inline water filter)
* Funnel/Jerry Can if Dry Camping

Nice to have/Emergency Repair Supplies:
* Vacuum 12V (http://amzn.to/2opA69T)
* Eternabond Tape - emergency roof repair (Eternabond)
* Sewer Hose Support and Clear Elbow (Sewer Hose & Clear Elbow)
-Yes it's clear - that way you know when your tank is actually clean.
* Spare fuses (more than you'll ever need: Fuse Set)
*Tank rinser help clean the TP and poo off the walls of the black tank. - This can lead to false tank level readings on the monitor.
*After watching my kids have their way with the door: Screen Door Cross Bar

Get the propane filled up too.

X213 Mods (wanted a nice dry camping setup - have gone 7 days dry with this in Vermont):
* Solar install (200W Roof Mount) (Renogy 200W Solar - See blog here: Jayco X213 Solar Installation – Restricted Ayerspace)
* Thermostat
* EZ Couch access (Jayco X213 Under Couch Access Mod – Restricted Ayerspace)
* Additional Power ports (Automotive/USB Power) (Used this: http://amzn.to/2pVg2g3 - mounted in the bench with the water pump).
* Quick movable work table/work surface (Jayco X213 Quick Table/Work Surface – Restricted Ayerspace)
X213_2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:40 AM   #7

We almost went to the X213 back in 2008 and rally fell in love with this model. being just the two of us it would have been the perfect size... Even drawed up plans to mod the storage area into an computer/office/ham radio area.

The earlier 213's had a drooping problem with the very large rear bed slide which would tear up the seats backs inside when it was moved back in for transport... I think the 2010 model is the where it all got fixed...

I also liked the idea you could use the F150 truck to tow them with back then. Probably can't do that now these days...

Loved this concept you are getting...

We still are running our off-road POPUP trailer which fits our style of just RV CAMPING with not many RV TRAVELING trips to do... Had big dreams but never followed through with them...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:03 PM   #8
Fin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCx213 View Post
Get a set of lynx blocks for levelling, a pair of x chocks to block the tires, chemical for the black tank. Since We dry camp often, I have both the 2000 & 3100 Champion generators as well as a Go Power 120 watt suitcase solar panel with built in charge controller for charging the battery. On my X213, I also changed all the lighting to led bulbs. Get the biggest battery, at least a group 27 deep cycle. Dealers will put in a group 24 like they did to mine....oh I also changed out the cheap t-stat. Mine was a pain to switch on. I also added a Max Airii cover on the vent so I could leave the vent open in rain.

Levelling blocks, check.
X chicks, on my list, now...
Have a 2800 Champion generator, no solar yet but thinking about it.
Led lights installed.
Battery, dam hadn't thought of that.
Max Air on list.
T-stat, have read a few posts and want to swap it out this summer, any recommendations?

Thanks

Fin

Old 04-21-2017, 02:07 PM   #9
Fin

Quote:
Originally Posted by X213_2015 View Post
Love my X213 as well. In the next couple weeks I'll be prepping it for the season. An epic trip is planned this summer.

Equipment that you need:
* Bunk ladder (depending on if you can toss kids into the bunks - I made one Jayco X213 Bunk Ladder – Restricted Ayerspace)
* Power cord adapter - just in case there's not a 30A outlet)
* Sewer Hose
* TP & Chemicals
* Wheel Chocks - I have some lightweight cheap ones...but they suck Need better ones - always chock your wheels before you disconnect the trailer from the tow vehicle! *DOH*
* Fresh Water Hose) - don't use this to clean with!
* Water Filter (dependent on location: inline water filter)
* Funnel/Jerry Can if Dry Camping

Nice to have/Emergency Repair Supplies:
* Vacuum 12V (http://amzn.to/2opA69T)
* Eternabond Tape - emergency roof repair (Eternabond)
* Sewer Hose Support and Clear Elbow (Sewer Hose & Clear Elbow)
-Yes it's clear - that way you know when your tank is actually clean.
* Spare fuses (more than you'll ever need: Fuse Set)
*Tank rinser help clean the TP and poo off the walls of the black tank. - This can lead to false tank level readings on the monitor.
*After watching my kids have their way with the door: Screen Door Cross Bar

Get the propane filled up too.

X213 Mods (wanted a nice dry camping setup - have gone 7 days dry with this in Vermont):
* Solar install (200W Roof Mount) (Renogy 200W Solar - See blog here: Jayco X213 Solar Installation – Restricted Ayerspace)
* Thermostat
* EZ Couch access (Jayco X213 Under Couch Access Mod – Restricted Ayerspace)
* Additional Power ports (Automotive/USB Power) (Used this: http://amzn.to/2pVg2g3 - mounted in the bench with the water pump).
* Quick movable work table/work surface (Jayco X213 Quick Table/Work Surface – Restricted Ayerspace)

Adding a lot of these ideas to the list. Thanks. I'm getting really excited about this dam thing. Lol

Old 04-22-2017, 08:12 AM   #10

I also replaced the anemic fan in the bathroom with one of these after one vacation with no wind dry camping and relatively warm temps all week the little fan just didn't move enough air. 7 Days in vermont with just the solar (H20 carried in) and battery. Partially cloudy most of the week but with warm temps...did I mention it was warm

Vortex II fan.

Installation was fairly easy....you can actually feel the air get sucked though the camper while this is running now.

All this talk is making me want to pull the camper out and get it primed up for some camping!
Old 04-25-2017, 02:43 PM   #11
Fin

Quote:
I also replaced the anemic fan in the bathroom with one of these after one vacation with no wind dry camping and relatively warm temps all week the little fan just didn't move enough air. 7 Days in vermont with just the solar (H20 carried in) and battery. Partially cloudy most of the week but with warm temps...did I mention it was warm

Vortex II fan.

Installation was fairly easy....you can actually feel the air get sucked though the camper while this is running now.

All this talk is making me want to pull the camper out and get it primed up for some camping!

Another Greta idea, thnaks for the link. Any thoughts on whether it would fit under a maxxair vent cover? I'm thinking it will.

Old 04-25-2017, 02:44 PM   #12
Fin

And btw. My wife and I picked up the new trailer yesterday and towed it the 200 k home behind our truck. Hauled like it wasn't there. Love it and so do my sons. They're dying to sleep in it already.

Old 04-25-2017, 03:55 PM   #13
Fin

Picking up X213 soon

Quote:
Another Greta idea, thnaks for the link. Any thoughts on whether it would fit under a maxxair vent cover? I'm thinking it will.

Just watched an installation video and answered my own question. Lol

Cheers

Fin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2017, 04:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Just watched an installation video and answered my own question. Lol

Cheers

Fin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes - It does...I have a MaxxAir on mine. If you do get one and install it just follow the advice of others before you. Put the drain plugs in the sink and shower just in case you drop a screw. I didn't but I almost did
Old 04-27-2017, 05:24 AM   #15
Fin

Quote:
Yes - It does...I have a MaxxAir on mine. If you do get one and install it just follow the advice of others before you. Put the drain plugs in the sink and shower just in case you drop a screw. I didn't but I almost did

No where's the fun in that. Lol

Thanks mate.

Cheers

Fin

Old 05-04-2017, 06:15 AM   #16
Fin

Well it's been a busy two weeks. Picked up the new trailer, read the manuals. Yes really! Tested all the systems, everything works. Installed a maxair vent cover and battery cutoff switch. Bought several bits and pieces suggested here and took one of my sons for an overnight shakedown. Everything went well except that I couldn't get my head around that idea that city water pressurized the system and that it takes the fresh water tank and water pump out of the loop. That confused me for about an hour. Lol

Now I just need to sanitize the water system and beef up a support member under the dining seats that I noticed was lax and then I'm read for a long weekend adventure with the whole family.

Thanks for all the advice here, it was really helpful getting my priorities straight.

Cheers

Fin

Old 05-05-2017, 10:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Well it's been a busy two weeks. Picked up the new trailer, read the manuals. Yes really! Tested all the systems, everything works. Installed a maxair vent cover and battery cutoff switch. Bought several bits and pieces suggested here and took one of my sons for an overnight shakedown. Everything went well except that I couldn't get my head around that idea that city water pressurized the system and that it takes the fresh water tank and water pump out of the loop. That confused me for about an hour. Lol

Now I just need to sanitize the water system and beef up a support member under the dining seats that I noticed was lax and then I'm read for a long weekend adventure with the whole family.

Thanks for all the advice here, it was really helpful getting my priorities straight.

Cheers

Fin

Glad you are loving your new trailer, we had a ton of fun the first year we owned ours. We took it out every possible weekend that we could. It has now been 5 yrs since we bought it and although we don't have it out as often as we want to, it is just as much fun as the day we got it. I have two 6 volt deep cycle golf cart batteries that my neighbour bought new but never used because he sold his TT that he gave to me. I bring them along separately in the back of my truck and rig them up at site if I stay longer than 3 or 4 days when I dry camp and I hook my portable solar panel to them. Greatly reduces the need for using my generator.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:23 PM   #18
Fin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCx213 View Post
Glad you are loving your new trailer, we had a ton of fun the first year we owned ours. We took it out every possible weekend that we could. It has now been 5 yrs since we bought it and although we don't have it out as often as we want to, it is just as much fun as the day we got it. I have two 6 volt deep cycle golf cart batteries that my neighbour bought new but never used because he sold his TT that he gave to me. I bring them along separately in the back of my truck and rig them up at site if I stay longer than 3 or 4 days when I dry camp and I hook my portable solar panel to them. Greatly reduces the need for using my generator.

I'd like to go the six volt battery and solar route one day. Probably see how we manage this summer and how often we boondock then I can plan it out for next summer. I've tossed enough money at this thing for this year. Well almost... lol

Cheers

Fin

Old 05-05-2017, 02:06 PM   #19

Quote:
I'd like to go the six volt battery and solar route one day. Probably see how we manage this summer and how often we boondock then I can plan it out for next summer. I've tossed enough money at this thing for this year. Well almost... lol

Cheers

Fin

I know that feeling after buying all the accessories for mine on the first year. I'm on my second RV cover last fall as well as my Portable solar panel. I don't want to tell how much I have spent...lol
Old 05-07-2017, 01:49 PM   #20

Same boat. Picking up a used 2014 sight unseen in OH in 2 weeks. I am traveling with my family on way to MA to live in trailer for 2 months on a working vacation. (I will be working, they will be able to be outside and enjoy the Cape instead of stuck inside with 108 degF days in Tucson).

Tell me the must haves for pulling in and setting/hooking up. Thinking sewer hose (how long?), extension cord (how long?), potable water hose, chocks and/or x-lock, and plastic bases fir stab jacks. Anything else?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Jkstehn is offline   Reply With Quote