Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-17-2017, 07:17 PM   #1

Bearing Grease

Howdy, towed right at 2500 miles up and down mountains for first time. Back to good ole Texas and noticed what looks like axle grease on the curbside back wheel. Not allot but there. Normal or something to be concerned. Trailer is a 2017 Jayco 264bh
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Origjcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:29 PM   #2

At that young age, it's not normal and I'd be concerned, but not panicked. Have the dealer take a look when you take it in for other warranty stuff or before you take another trip that long or longer.

Is the grease on the backside (near the axle) or on the outside (near the hubcap)?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:41 PM   #3

x2 to what oldmanAZ said.
Nothing to panic about but definitely something to get looked at. Not normal.
Don't take another long trip till you get it looked at. Might as well have them all checked, and the old rule applies, if one is bad and has to be redone, then get them all done.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
At that young age, it's not normal and I'd be concerned, but not panicked. Have the dealer take a look when you take it in for other warranty stuff or before you take another trip that long or longer.

Is the grease on the backside (near the axle) or on the outside (near the hubcap)?

Thanks, it's on the outside, slung from cap.
Water heater stopped working on same trip so already at dealer so will do.

Old 03-18-2017, 06:04 AM   #5
Site Team

We had grease "streaking" on the left rear wheel of our TT, and as dumb as it sounds, it was just a bad cap. Replaced it, and VOILA! Usually don't get away with things that easy.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
We had grease "streaking" on the left rear wheel of our TT, and as dumb as it sounds, it was just a bad cap. Replaced it, and VOILA! Usually don't get away with things that easy.

I hope! Thanks

Old 03-20-2017, 07:38 PM   #7

Update - Jayco warranty is "reviewing" for a bad bearing seal.
Thank y'all again.

Old 03-22-2017, 01:13 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origjcc View Post
Update - Jayco warranty is "reviewing" for a bad bearing seal.
Thank y'all again.

Let us know how it turns out. It does sound like a simple fix. It's nice when they put new parts on for free!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 01:30 AM   #9

Grease NIGHTMARE!!!

We had a very similar scenario last year with a brand new 2016 Jayco 264BHW. Took it for a short 20 mile each way camping trip, and on return saw some grease streaking on the road side wheel. Pulled it up to the dealer, only 3.5 miles from house, and they checked it. The EZ Lube's didn't have a bunch of excess grease, so they cleaned the wheel off and said watch it.

Took it to scale the unit and it ran 60 miles, all told. Noticed some more grease. This trailer didn't have a 100 miles on it, and dealer service writer told me the wheel bearing repack wasn't covered by warranty. First they said it would be X amount, and when they finished it was almost $400. I was in total shock. They said they would cut me a break on the service rate, and I wound up paying $236. I was still pissed.

It being July in Texas, it was about 100 degrees when I picked it up. I pulled over and just touched each of the wheel hubs. Three you couldn't touch for more then 2 or 3 seconds, but the 4th was ice cold. Drove home, bought a new 2016 Ford F-150, and figured this would solve the problems with the trailer, since they said my brake controller on the original truck caused the grease to come out of the wheels.

They had to change the height on the WDH head, so they did that, and tried to adjust the brakes. Working for an hour the cold hub wouldn't adjust. Leave the trailer, they have to look at the brakes. Go to get it a week later, they said the brakes weren't operating properly from the factory. So my question, when you re-packed the bearings, why weren't the brakes checked?? Wouldn't you check brakes if you tell me my brake controller is screwing up???

At that point my wife & I are totally pissed, the service manager then pulls out a bill for the large grab handle we had installed on purchase. Well, it wasn't given to us at PDI, we thought it was rolled into financing. Then he says, well we didn't charge you for resetting the WDH head, so what do you want. I REFUSE to go to this dealer again, and I live 3.5 miles from them. He did refund the $236 we paid for the repack, but we paid the handle charges.

We had to get some warranty work done, and they have 2 other dealerships, each about 60 miles form us. We happened to meet & talk with one of the service guys from the northern center at an RV show. Called & talked with a service writer, and set an appointment to drop it off, and he would have it in the shop in 10 days. The selling dealer said it would be 6-7 weeks minimum. Then call Jayco for the authorizations. Very easy fixes: black water sensor always reads empty, bath ceiling vent frame dislodged, A/C knob kept falling off. That was the warranty work, and I need to leave it for 7 weeks??? Repairing dealer had it done, did the second year check-up, and fixed a front cap sealant separation in less than 2 weeks. All of the repairs were done without Jayco getting involved, according to the bill. They charged the 2 year check-up to selling dealership, and all I paid for was a state inspection!!

Funny thing, ran into the sales girl from the selling RV center at the RV center that did the repairs, all the same company, when the repairs were done. She hadn't heard of any of our problems, and didn't realize what we had actually gone through.

I'll NEVER walk into CRESTVIEW RV in BUDA, TX. and I would be very hard pressed to even consider a Jayco product in the future. We've already decided on another RV, and will go over the next one with a fine-toothed comb, for sure.

MANY LESSONS LEARNED....
kevcarr59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:15 PM   #10

Sorry about the rant
kevcarr59 is offline   Reply With Quote