Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-30-2016, 02:30 PM   #1

Do I need to Re-winterize

I winterized my trailer today. I did it with my attention split between the job and watching my two little guys playing outside. Needless to say I was distracted. I did everything with the exception of one step that I completely forgot. I wanted to start by opening the low point drains for a bit but instead I just drained the hot water heater. I have not used the fresh water holding tank since we got the trailer so there was no need to drain it. I then set the valves and ran the pump. I got the pink juice through all the lines and made sure to leave some in the p-traps and over the toilet seal. Now my question is this; With all that I've done is there a need to go back and start over with the low point drain or will I be okay? This is only the second time I've done the winterizing.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 02:40 PM   #2
Site Team

A way to check, is have someone hold a pan under the low point drains, open them up for a couple of seconds, and see if you get pink from them. Chances are you'll be ok just draining them, since antifreeze is already in the rest of the lines. Any residual water should be diluted enough to below freezing, since the stuff is good to -50. I'll bet you get a little water, followed by antifreeze.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 02:57 PM   #3

if you ran every faucet (both hot and cold0, till you saw all pink and also had bypassed the water heater you will be fine
rjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 03:03 PM   #4

Iyou should be fine. But if it was me I would pull the two low point drains and let any of the rv antifreeze to slip by for a moment. You do not need to have the pipes full of antifreeze.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 03:31 PM   #5

I've never opened the low point drains when winterizins in any of my RV's.
Out of curiosity I read the owners manual of the new 321 and it said to open them only if blowing out the lines....if pumping in antifreeze it's not necessary.

Air at 30 psi will not lift water out of the lines that are below the input level so they need to be drained. When in doubt though open until ya see pink.
Just don't forget the outside shower and washing machine line if your rig is prepped for one.

2016 Eagle 321RSTS. MorRyde pin box. 12cu ft refer. Slide toppers and second awning.

2014 Silverado Duramax. Crew cab short box. Reese Titan 16K slider. Air bags.
Camping Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 03:43 PM   #6

Do I need to Re-winterize

I don't leave antifreeze in my lines. Only in the ptraps and the toilet bowl. I pull the low points and let the antifreeze come out. The antifreeze is to push the water out. The lines don't need it in there.

If I was you I'd open the low point drains and leave them open.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 03:58 PM   #7

Open valves are a welcome spot for insects and spiders looking for a warm spot to hide.
So are outdoor furnace vents, water heaters and refrigerator cavities.
Ever try to light a gas burner with a spider web in the orifice?

2016 Eagle 321RSTS. MorRyde pin box. 12cu ft refer. Slide toppers and second awning.

Old 10-30-2016, 04:11 PM   #8

Have you ever opened the drain valve on the fresh water tank? The dealer filled mine for my PDI and never drained it before we left. When we got it home and were going over the trailer, I opened the valve and a lot of water was left in there.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 04:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
Have you ever opened the drain valve on the fresh water tank? The dealer filled mine for my PDI and never drained it before we left. When we got it home and were going over the trailer, I opened the valve and a lot of water was left in there.
I drain the fresh tank after "sanitizing" in the spring and after the last trip of the season. I just make sure to close the drain after.
Too bad the factory doesn't spend an extra dollar and put in a decent sized drain on the fresh tank. That tiny valve takes forever to dump 80 gal of water.

Old 10-30-2016, 05:34 PM   #10

Marcm157
Yes I have opened it. I actually opened yesterday morning just to check and its bone-dry. I do fill and sanatize it every spring just in case we use it during the season but so far we haven't used it.
Thanks everyone for your answers, thoughts or advice. I am going to open the drains just until a little pink runs out.
Usually I have the dealer winiterize it because they provide a written warranty and will cover any repairs 100% if there is any freeze damage. I think of it as a cheap insurance policy. This year they are already booked until mid-December. We can expect freezing temps in November so I didn't want to take any chances.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:47 PM   #11

I'm puzzled. I had my wife watching the drain lines under the camper. I went inside and opened both low oiint drains but nothing came out. I know there is at least 2 jugs of pink juice in the lines, minus the small amounts that went down the drains. Thoughts?
Old 11-02-2016, 07:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by micron View Post
I'm puzzled. I had my wife watching the drain lines under the camper. I went inside and opened both low oiint drains but nothing came out. I know there is at least 2 jugs of pink juice in the lines, minus the small amounts that went down the drains. Thoughts?
Open all the faucets in the camper then open the low point drains. It should pour out.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote