Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-27-2017, 03:57 PM   #1

Question Picking a Surge Protector

Hi Folks,
I'm about to take delivery of a 2017 Jayco Precept 35S motor home and am looking at portable surge protectors. Any experience or advice choosing between these two?

1) Progressive Industries 50 Amp portable surge protector model EMS-PT50X => https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Progr...p/emspt50x.htm

2) Surge Guard 50A Portable Model 34850 with LCD Display => Surge Guard 50A Portable with LCD Display | Technology Research, LLC

The specs are very similar. Thanks very much for your experience.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:22 PM   #2

I use a Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C and it works great. I had read great things about Progressive so that's what I went with. The Progressive one also has a lifetime warranty....
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 04:24 PM   #3

Progressive Industries is the brand I use.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 04:46 PM   #4

I've owned 2 Progressive EMS units. A 30A portable and a 50A hard-wire.
I recommend! They have excellent customer service too.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 05:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpachuta View Post
portable surge protectors.
I have a hardwired Progressive Industry and could not be happier, they have several advantages over portable and very easy to install:

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 05:54 PM   #6
Site Team

I have had both.

The Progressive is repairable.

The TRC is like a fuse, if it gets zapped they will gladly sell you another one.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 05:58 PM   #7

Do yourself a favor and go with the progressive EMS hardwire, once its installed you don't have to think about it. As others have said its an easy install, takes about 30 minutes or less, watch the videos for DIY or call a local electrician to install it if you don't feel comfy doing it.
I like having the remote LED readout in the trailer to tell me if something is going on with the power.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 06:15 PM   #8

Hardwired 50a Surge Guard

This installation was my first MOD in my 35S. The Surge Guard has a little more protection as it has a higher Joule rating 3850 vrs 3580.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 07:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
I have a hardwired Progressive Industry and could not be happier, they have several advantages over portable and very easy to install:

Wanderlust - What are the advantages of the hard wired vs. the portable Progressive? I was under the impression that they do the same thing...but one is easier to grow legs?
Old 01-28-2017, 07:05 AM   #10

I have the PT50C (replaced by the "X" as I recall) and will absolutely not plug in anywhere without it. I got zapped this past September and one leg of my PT50C quit passing power (other RV's in the same area were damaged). If I had a hard wired unit my only option would be to bypass it and wait for parts to arrive from PI, but I would be unprotected during this period. What I did was remove the dead PT50C and plugged in my spare PT50C (Yes I have two of them just or this situation) and returned the dead one to PI for repair/replace.

Not cheap, but much more flexibility than the hard wired unit.

My concern for theft? Zero. After over 6 years full time mine has never walked off.

YMMV

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 08:50 AM   #11

Used our pole mount for 2 years with no issues. I have forgotten to pack a couple of items over the years and was always afraid the EMS would join the "lost" collection. The hard-wired one requires me to do nothing (I'm good at that, lots of practice).

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:41 AM   #12

I am looking into getting a portable, but am a bit confused on whether or not I should go with a 30 or 50 amp. My TT is set up for 50, but I only have 1 AC unit, so I never use the 50 amp cord, as it usually becomes a wrestling match. I have a couple of 30 amp cords that I use a dog bone with to attach to the TT. Based on this, I assume I am ok with the 30 amp version and worry about getting a 50 if I add another AC unit, which I realistically do not see happening in the near future. Any thoughts or suggestions?
NY RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY RVer View Post
I am looking into getting a portable, but am a bit confused on whether or not I should go with a 30 or 50 amp. My TT is set up for 50, but I only have 1 AC unit, so I never use the 50 amp cord, as it usually becomes a wrestling match. I have a couple of 30 amp cords that I use a dog bone with to attach to the TT. Based on this, I assume I am ok with the 30 amp version and worry about getting a 50 if I add another AC unit, which I realistically do not see happening in the near future. Any thoughts or suggestions?
I would do the 50. It isn't that much more and here is the deal with power. When installing a breaker (or fuse) the size is determined by the rating of the wire. Not what you are plugging into the outlet. Contrary to what a lot of people think, a breaker (fuse) is there to protect the wiring not the appliance and such. You protect the wire from overheating and causing a fire.

Now a surge protector is there to protect the appliance but still I would rate it the same as the circuit. Your camper may only have 1 AC unit but odds are if it is 50A it is for a reason. It is probably prepared for a 2nd unit. If that is the case you might not want a 2nd unit now but who knows if you might add one later. Don't cause problems for yourself or a future owner as you might forget about it later.

Will it work, sure if you keep doing things as you do today but I would just upgrade it to a 50A and to it right.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sennister View Post
I would do the 50. It isn't that much more and here is the deal with power. When installing a breaker (or fuse) the size is determined by the rating of the wire. Not what you are plugging into the outlet. Contrary to what a lot of people think, a breaker (fuse) is there to protect the wiring not the appliance and such. You protect the wire from overheating and causing a fire.

Now a surge protector is there to protect the appliance but still I would rate it the same as the circuit. Your camper may only have 1 AC unit but odds are if it is 50A it is for a reason. It is probably prepared for a 2nd unit. If that is the case you might not want a 2nd unit now but who knows if you might add one later. Don't cause problems for yourself or a future owner as you might forget about it later.

Will it work, sure if you keep doing things as you do today but I would just upgrade it to a 50A and to it right.
Sennister, that would mean using the 50 amp cord all the time, or a few dog bones to utilize the 30 amp cord, which I would not want to plug into 50 directly anyway. The TT is set up for future second unit in the bedroom but have not had the need for it as of yet. Also, I do not have a fireplace, which would be another large draw of power. By the way, I plan on buying a portable one, not hard wired.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY RVer View Post
Sennister, that would mean using the 50 amp cord all the time, or a few dog bones to utilize the 30 amp cord, which I would not want to plug into 50 directly anyway. The TT is set up for future second unit in the bedroom but have not had the need for it as of yet. Also, I do not have a fireplace, which would be another large draw of power. By the way, I plan on buying a portable one, not hard wired.
Sorry missed that you are going portable. I have been looking at the hardwired ones and have that on my mind.

If going portable then 30A would be fine. If going hardwired then 50A. The point being you can forget it is there when it is hardwired and I wouldn't skip on it. When portable you are physically plugging it in so you know your limits and as you mentioned your camper isn't really capable of pulling 50A as configured but configurations change.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:12 AM   #16

Sennister, I agree with your original assessment. If your cable is rated for 50 Amps, go with a surge/fault detector of the same rating, even as a portable. You can always use adapters if you're plugging into 30 or 20 amp service, but that one time that you plug into a 50 Amp service, your protection device needs to be able to handle it, whether you actually draw 50 Amps or not. The key is also the fact that 50 Amp RV wiring is set up for two 120 volt input circuits, which the 50 amp protector will monitor.
Best to you all.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:46 AM   #17

I have the hard wired surge guard brand ems with display and very pleased with it.
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:49 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasum View Post
I have the hard wired surge guard brand ems with display and very pleased with it.
Is the display hardwired as well, or wireless?
Old 03-10-2017, 12:01 PM   #19

Hardwired.....it's like the wire for your phone from unit to display.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:06 PM   #20

Nice job on your install........I have same brand.