Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-29-2017, 12:47 PM   #1

Scarey Travels

Just got home from our Memorial Weekend outing and it really scared me how many people are out there traveling and putting everybody at risk by towing waaay more than their vehicles are designed for. So easily can they loose control and mame or kill the rest of us. Saw so many trucks with nothing left in the springs and even small SUV's pulling 35' trailers.
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 01:09 PM   #2

Ignorance is bliss until something awful happens.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:37 PM   #3
Site Team

Several factors at fault here. Trailer dealers that will say anything to make a sale including "you should be able to tow that just fine". The "it will never happen to me" attitude. And the bigger has to be better fascination many RV'rs have when it comes to choosing their unit.

Back in our Airstream days, the worst offender I saw was a 31' Land Yacht being towed by a Chrysler minivan. It made me sick just talking to the owner on how his van was modified by a "towing master" in Canada to be able to handle it. If you've ever been on the Airstream forum, you know exactly what I'm speaking of. Anyway, he and his family were sharing the road with the rest of us. Just makes my head spin thinking about it.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:49 PM   #4

We saw a number of them too.

Brand new RPod179, being pulled by a small Toyota suv, dud not catch the model, no wdh, there rear end had to be nearly sitting on the frame.

A few pickups hauling huge loads in the beds and hauling monster trailers, again about sitting on the axless.

There the crazy number of people towing who cannot see around their load, as their mirrors are undersized.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 04:30 PM   #5

This "towing master" modifies hundreds, if not thousands TV/TT each year. I have never heard about any accident caused by his modifications.

I am not trying to say that Chrysler minivan was a proper car for the job. I do not know this car or this trailer. But there are many more things to take into consideration than just size of the car. Minivans are actually good platforms for towing, good payload, relatively long wheel base, lower center of gravity, rear overhang not that long, etc. Those trailers were towed with much smaller and much less capable cars in 60/70.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
(...)

Back in our Airstream days, the worst offender I saw was a 31' Land Yacht being towed by a Chrysler minivan. It made me sick just talking to the owner on how his van was modified by a "towing master" in Canada to be able to handle it. If you've ever been on the Airstream forum, you know exactly what I'm speaking of. Anyway, he and his family were sharing the road with the rest of us. Just makes my head spin thinking about it.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 04:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
This "towing master" modifies hundreds, if not thousands TV/TT each year. I have never heard about any accident caused by his modifications.

I am not trying to say that Chrysler minivan was a proper car for the job. I do not know this car or this trailer. But there are many more things to take into consideration than just size of the car. Minivans are actually good platforms for towing, good payload, relatively long wheel base, lower center of gravity, rear overhang not that long, etc. Those trailers were towed with much smaller and much less capable cars in 60/70.

With a max towing limit of 3600 pounds, I do not think you could modify a Chrysler Mini-van to pull an Airstream.

Well, I was just about to post the above but before I stuck my size 13 in my mouth, I checked the Airstream site to see what their lightest trailer is rated. And, I'll be dingy dong danged!

The lightest Airstream has a GVWR of (insert drum roll)

3500 Pounds!

Think I will go wash my feet, for next time!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 04:59 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:

If I remember the conversation I had with the owner, he claimed that his Airstream crossed the scales at a shade over 7000#. Chrysler Town and Country/Dodge Caravan max tow rating of ~3600#. I know that people do it, but there is no way I'm strapping my family in a vehicle hitched to something almost double the rated capacity no matter who modified it.

OK, off my soap box.

Old 05-29-2017, 05:07 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post

With a max towing limit of 3600 pounds, I do not think you could modify a Chrysler Mini-van to pull an Airstream.

Well, I was just about to post the above but before I stuck my size 13 in my mouth, I checked the Airstream site to see what their lightest trailer is rated. And, I'll be dingy dong danged!

The lightest Airstream has a GVWR of (insert drum roll)

3500 Pounds!

Think I will go wash my feet, for next time!

Murff
That's the Sport 16' correct? I think the dry weight of the 1990 Land Yacht I was referring to is 6000# with a GVWR of 7300#.

Old 05-29-2017, 05:22 PM   #9

Some people are less risk avers than the other, right? Some take the towing ratings as a guidance only on the basis that there are no standards that the whole industry would follow.

There are many folks on the airstream forum towing the trailers with minivans, including one towing 34 ft trailer. I have impression that those guys are actually more aware of what makes the safe towing than many in oversized TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
If I remember the conversation I had with the owner, he claimed that his Airstream crossed the scales at a shade over 7000#. Chrysler Town and Country/Dodge Caravan max tow rating of ~3600#. I know that people do it, but there is no way I'm strapping my family in a vehicle hitched to something almost double the rated capacity no matter who modified it.

OK, off my soap box.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:38 PM   #10

Full disclosure first - I am a recent convert from the 1/2 ton crew. In all seriousness / fairness, I've seen some guys do some remarkably stupid things with their 3/4 - 1 ton trucks as well.

I just traded my 2016 F150 for a 2016 F250. I will say I feel the 150's Ecoboost did a better job ENGINE wise pulling my trailer. There is no comparison however to the suspension and other components of my 250.

I "thought" my 150 handled the tow very well until I towed it for the first time with the 250 this weekend.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:39 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Some people are less risk avers than the other, right? Some take the towing ratings as a guidance only on the basis that there are no standards that the whole industry would follow.

There are many folks on the airstream forum towing the trailers with minivans, including one towing 34 ft trailer. I have impression that those guys are actually more aware of what makes the safe towing than many in oversized TV.
Point well taken. I obviously am not a risk taker. And maybe it is my lack of towing experience, but and am much more comfortable with a large TV small trailer combo than to be set up with the opposite.

Old 05-29-2017, 05:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoneys View Post
Just got home from our Memorial Weekend outing and it really scared me how many people are out there traveling and putting everybody at risk by towing waaay more than their vehicles are designed for. So easily can they loose control and mame or kill the rest of us. Saw so many trucks with nothing left in the springs and even small SUV's pulling 35' trailers.
I also saw lots of overloaded TVs today driving home. But what I was more surprised at was the speeds people were towing at, I drive 68-70 and I had so many just fly by me swaying back and forth they had to be doing over 80. And several with bike racks on the back of a trailer loaded with 4 bikes just swinging and bouncing like crazy looking like it would rip off at any minute, I don't think these people realize what is going on with the bike racks, I gave them lots of space since I didn't need to drive over any bikes today.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:57 PM   #13

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:05 PM   #14

Yes, I agree I talk about this all the time, glad you made it back safe.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 04:45 PM   #15

Mini Vans don't have a ladder frame. They are unibody so how anyone thinks it can be modified to carry additional weight safely is beyond me.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 04:56 PM   #16

Unibody is stiffer than body on frame. With the first one the challenge is where to attach the hitch to provide a robust connection. There are several ways to modify unibody to make the towing safer.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Unibody is stiffer than body on frame. With the first one the challenge is where to attach the hitch to provide a robust connection. There are several ways to modify unibody to make the towing safer.
Safer yes, but not to increase the towing capacity beyond the manufacturers recommendations.

That just puts everyone's safety at risk. Not sure about unibody being the best choice for towing compared to body on frame.

Last I knew, all pickups are body on frame for a reason.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:09 PM   #18

It ain't my job to make you feel safe.
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisbitch View Post
Ignorance is bliss until something awful happens.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:13 PM   #20

I am glad that you used the word "recommendations" - probably the keyword.

I could give you at least half a dozen reasons why pick ups are not the best choice for towing (and there are better choices), but this forum is not the best place to share such facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
Safer yes, but not to increase the towing capacity beyond the manufacturers recommendations.

That just puts everyone's safety at risk. Not sure about unibody being the best choice for towing compared to body on frame.

Last I knew, all pickups are body on frame for a reason.