Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-01-2012, 05:59 AM   #1
Towing with a Dodge 1500

Hello Newbie towing questions.
As this is my first post please let me know if this is the wrong section. I have recently purchased a 2011 Ram Crew cab with the Hemi. It has the factory tow package with 3.55 rear end gears and 17 inch wheels. I purchased this before I decided to get a HTT and it is rated to tow 8200#. My towing experience is limited to my boat behind my old F150. I am looking at an x23b or x20e and am wondering if anyone has towed with the dodge and how well it does. The trailer GVWR is 4950# and I will be traveling with myself my wife and two 11 year olds. I will be getting a weight distribution system (any suggestions?) and already own a prodigy 3 brake controller. Our first trip will be from MN to the west into the Big Sur area and then into San Francisco and back over 14 days or so. Is this a combination that will make for an enjoyable trip, or should I look at a lighter trailer. I would like to travel without being concerned about weight. Of course both my truck and trailer dealers say no problem. I am thinking a trailer at about 5000 pounds should work well. Looking for real world experiences and am aware that the 3.55 gears are not ideal.
Thank you for any input

mncamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:34 AM   #2
Welcome to the forum.

2008 Jayco 322FKS, Hemi, Hensley, Oreo the Malshi, DW and I

Tracking campgrounds with Ultimate Campground Log
dalenoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:44 AM   #3
Site Team
Welcome to the forum mncamper! Yes you posted in the right place for towing concerns. I see no issues with that combo, rated for 8200lbs towing a 5,000lb trailer should work well for you. On the WD question, I like a WD hitch with sway control that is integrated into the system such as the Reese Dual Cam or Equalizer brands. But many others tow a trailer that size with a WD system and just a friction swaybar with no problems. There are some helpful threads on towing and WD systems in this towing forum.

2004 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0l, 4.10r

2010 Jayco Jayflight 28BHS
Reese Strait Line with Dual Cam
P3 Brk controller
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
Rear end gears aren't nearly as important as they were in the past thanks to the new 6 speed transmissions. A deeper gear will always get you off the line faster, but it is not always necessary. Since you're looking at a trailer in the 5k lb range, you shouldn't have any problem with a 3.55 rear end.

I don't think you'll have any issue pulling a 5k lb TT across the country and back.

If I had to pick between the two trailers you listed, I would definitely go with the x23b because it is bigger inside, and the weight difference is negligible (200lbs) since you are so far under the limit of the truck.
'11 G2 32BHDS
TexasA&M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:28 PM   #5
Thank you for the help so far. I am leaning towards the x23b it really does have more space. The dealer I am speaking to has them both at the lot and the price is less than $500 different with more options (both 2012's). He recommends the Equalizer brand hitch. In the end it is up to the wife to choose her favorite. We will attend the camper show in Minneapolis on 2-11 and be making a final decision (may need a bigger truck after the show). Looking forward to making memories and sharing stories.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:49 PM   #6
Just make sure the tires on the truck are LT tires and not P tires.
2011 Eagle 330RLTS with just about every option.
Dodge SRW 1 ton Cummins powered.

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:04 PM   #7
You should do well

I have been using my 2008 RAM Maxicab Since 2009 when I bought it new first towing a heavy pop-up ( over 5000 LBS) and now a 26RLS. Mine was factory euiped with a towing package and 3.73 Rear end. It seems to do well. Wanted to buy a Diesel 2500 but it was too hard for my wife to get in to the higer frame and at the time they gave me a great deal on the truck.

My brother tells me he has just crossed over 175,000 miles on his since new with no real issues but he does not use it tow but does do some heavy hauling.

Sounds like a great trip. Hopefully gas prces will come down by then again. Last outing I ws running ~ 8 MPG for the two weeks.
26RLS with Dodge RAM 1500
Flytyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:52 AM   #8
I would question the 8200lbs. That sounds like a lot for that truck.I'm not saying that it can't do it, I would just make sure that is accurate. Never the less, a 5000lb. TT should cause no problems for that truck. Happy Camping!
2004 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
familybonding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:02 AM   #9
The truck is rated for 8200# as equiped. I got that number from the owners manual and window sticker. It does seem like a lot for the truck wich is why I am trying to keep the weight down to around 5000#. It does however have p rated tires and not LT. What is the difference between the two? Our camping so far has been out of a boat on the river, and tents locally. Looking to expand the comfort level with a HTT and do not want to be concerned about capacities when traveling. Over the years I have tried to tow too much boat with too little truck and want to avoid that this time around.
Familybonding; how does yours do with the 27BH?
Old 02-02-2012, 06:03 AM   #10
Last summer on our first trip ever with a TT, we got somewhere between 12 to 14 MPG!
I thought my new truck was broken or a hole in the gas tank.

I complained bitterly to wife, she told me to count GPD (gallons per day) instead.

I do, and am happier.

2010 Jayco Feather Sport 22'6" DrawTite,12,000 lbs.
2011 Ford F-150 XLT SCab 4x4 Tow Package
"If you can't be smart; be stubborn.". DG.
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote