Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #1

New X17Z Maiden Voyage

Started some of the prep on our 17Z tonight. We are taking it out this Thursday afternoon for a long weekend to a campground only about 45 min. from here.
Went through all of the systems to verify everything works. Furnace stinks. Expected that.
Fridge is good.
Hooked up city water and checked for leaks and water heater function.
Drained all of the lines and mixed up a bleach solution, poured it into the water tank and topped it up. Ran the pump and checked both sinks, shower, and external shower for bleach smell. Now it is sitting. Tomorrow will be draining and flushing the water system.
The only thing I can't check is the A/C. I have all the parts to add a 30A receptacle to the outside of my house. Just haven't done it yet.
Is there any prep to do for the gray water tank?
We aren't planning on using the toilet this trip. This being our first camper with a bathroom, that part of the system makes me a little nervous. Would like to know what I am doing before starting on that. Any tips would be appreciated.

Other than that I think we are good. Been using a tent the last several years so all of our gear is already organized in totes. If we forget anything, we aren't far from home.
Mcamnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:04 PM   #2

New X17Z Maiden Voyage

I use the adapter to switch to a 20 amp plug. My ac works fine on my x18d
parkerbows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:10 PM   #3

Congratulations on the new camper. Enjoy your first trip and take a pencil and paper along to jot down everything you forgot to bring. Dumping the black water tank is not hard. Go to the dumpstation. Connect the 3 inch sewer hose to the camper and the dump hole. Open the black water valve (pull the handle). Dumping a bucket of water down the toilet when the tank is about empty will get some of the "chunks" washed out of the tank. After dumping the black close the valve and open the gray water valve. It will help rinse the sewer hose. Close the gray water valve, remove the hose and rinse it out. Put the hose away and you are done. Add a gallon of water to the black tank and dump your chemicals in. Drive home. Have a good time!

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:20 AM   #4

Do they have water hook up where your going so you don't have to fill that water tank and use the pump? I have connected my camper up to a 20 Amp circuit and tested the AC. As long as you don't run the AC, the microwave and other things all at once it should be fine. The AC probably draws 15 amps when the compressor kits on.
Another thing I do is plug in the refrigerator a day before I go to get it good and cold before I put food in it.

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:39 AM   #5

They do have water hook up where we are going so I won't have to travel with a full tank of water.
Mcamnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:52 AM   #6

Off you go....don't break anything....pictures when you get back, please!...:hihi:
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #7

"They do have water hook up where we are going so I won't have to travel with a full tank of water. "

You probably don't want to go anywhere with a full water tank in the 17Z if you can help it. The 17Z is about 3100 pounds from the factory (with AC). It is only rated for 3500 pounds, so that only leaves 400 pounds for your stowed items. If you fill your 20 gallon tank, at 8 pounds per gallon, that is 160 pounds!