Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-10-2015, 08:36 PM   #1

Questions just brought the new to me 04 23B

So I just brought home our first hybrid.and have questions/suggestion

1. how to get refrig up to temp time frame and best way.

2. how to use the hot water heater

do I have to lite it

3. when its time to go camping how to unwinterize it

4. how to hook up to full hook sites ie sewer. bought a 15' hose kit

does stuff still ginto tanks or straight through as long as valves are open

5. I live in Baltimore, and looking for some good camping spots for early season March April so its worth starting a fire

Thanks for your help in advance
Mcolabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 12:47 AM   #2

I don't have a hybrid but these answers should still apply:

1. We make ice blocks from water filled sealable food containers to help bring it up to temp but still plan on a few to several hours to get the fridge to temp depending on the outside temp.

2. Open the bypass valves, fill heater with water then purge the air from the tank the using the purge valve. Light with gas or electric setting on switch. (more detailed steps in videos on Youtube)

3. Connect to city water and run water until you no longer see the antifreeze. You may fill up the grey tank sooner that you expect so keep an eye on the tank level and dump if needed. I typically get a full hook-up site at the start of the season just to dewinterize.

4. There are good Youtube videos on this...this one is a bit more detailed but gives you the idea. NEVER leave the black tank valve open. The solid waste needs to be suspended in water for gravity to remove it from the tank when you dump. You will need 3/4 to a full tank to dump and probably the same amount in your grey tank to flush the sewer hose after the black tank is dumped so I would advise not to leave either valve open at a full hook-up site.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:54 AM   #3
Site Team

5. I live in Baltimore, and looking for some good camping spots for early season March April so its worth starting a fire.

Head over the bay bridge to the shore! Assateague SP and Fort Whaley near Ocean City, Pocomoke River SP, Janes Island SP near Crisfield.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:40 AM   #4

We have a 2012 - 23B. Our hot water tank does not need to be lit by us. there is a control panel on the wall that lets us select either electric or propane to heat it up. We can actually select both for a quick heat up.

We usually leave the trailer plugged into one of our garage outlets to keep the battery charged.

We will turn on the refrigerator/freezer the day before we leave for a trip. We went from Kentucky to California a few years back and I thought surely we must need to top off the propane tank that was running the fridge. Barely took any. That thing just sips propane. We always leave the switch on automatic so it switches between electric and propane as needed.

We sometimes get full hookups when that is all that is available, but since it is not advisable to leave those pipes open we prefer just water and electric sites and use the dump station as we are leaving. If done correctly it is not as messy as you might think.

When de-winterizing just hook up to a water supple and run faucets till clear. A lot of people will add some bleach to the water holding tank and run some of that mixture thru the pipes to sanitize everything then do a complete rinse out with fresh water to get rid of the bleach.

We love this hybrid. We have been out on several 40 day plus trips including driving to Alaska this past spring and summer. Getting ready to head to Arizona for the rest of the winter. Hope you enjoy yours.
Ed Brodt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 05:55 PM   #5

Im not completely up to date on your particular HTT. As far as water heater. Well, do you have any switches inside (on or near) your monitor panel that says "water heater"? If so, it is as simple as flipping that switch to start cooking water. IF NOT, then go outside and open the water heater door. (Make sure you have a long neck lighter/torch). Turn the valve to the "light" position then either turn a bit farther-or push the knob in (depending on unit) WHILE lighting the tube in the big hole (close the where that tube ends). After it lights, keep knob turned/pushed just a few more seconds, then let go and start cooking water.

Dewinterizing-as mentioned-plug and turn valves to fill water heater, hook up water, start running lots of water. You will see pink-then foam-then clear. Warning-after water gets clear, it may still have traces of RVAF. This RVAF is non toxic, it will not hurt you if drink it straight from the gallon. It will taste slightly sweet, and makes very unpleasantly sweet ICE.
TIM
qwed94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:39 PM   #6

You should get a copy of your owners manual...
http://www.jayco.com/owner/manuals/?year=2004&cat=
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote