Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Recall Notices
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2017, 05:47 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
What I want to know is doesn't any manufacturer test their product before turning it loose to the public? How is it millions of vehicles get recalled dating back years? How is it that something as simple as a light get out? What do these manufacturers do, design it, build it and use or test it at lunch time or thier 15 minute afternoon break and say yep it's good start production.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I just did the buy back for my 09 Jetta TDi. Sometimes they intend to do it. Some other stuff may not be intentional however it turns up later down the road as patterns appear. It might never fail one the handful of test prototype products. Sometimes it isn't every camper, vehicle or whatever but just a high enough percentage or the safety impact enough to warrant it.

As far as Jayco and them letting you do the work. The thing with a recall item like this is they have to track if the replacement was actually done and done right. This is why they need a dealer to do it. So do you know how to replace a light. Maybe but Jayco doesn't know if you are an electrician. Let's say they ship out a set of lights to a customer. They get the lights but never get around to installing them. However Jayco marked your camper off as having the recall completed. Then the lights catch fire. An investigation starts. Records show the recall complete. Maybe there is too much damage to tell if it is an old light that got missed or the new design. Do they now have to recall the replacement?

GM got burned by something like this recently. They discovered an issue with the ignition switch where they were wearing out because people hang 10lbs of crap on their key ring. They saw a trend but didn't think much of it and changed the design a bit to correct the issue. Where they screwed up big time was they didn't change the part number. It might have been fine however later down the road people were getting killed when they got into an accident and the air bags didn't deploy. It was investigated and a trend formed. This was traced to the ignition switch as it would deactivate some systems like air bags thinking the vehicle was off even though it wasn't. Feds launch a recall on all ignition switches with a given part number. They were forced to change out all the switches even though the part had been already updated to correct the flaw. This cost them a lot more money than it should have if they had simply given the modified part a new part number.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2017, 03:22 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by sennister View Post
I just did the buy back for my 09 Jetta TDi. Sometimes they intend to do it. Some other stuff may not be intentional however it turns up later down the road as patterns appear. It might never fail one the handful of test prototype products. Sometimes it isn't every camper, vehicle or whatever but just a high enough percentage or the safety impact enough to warrant it.

As far as Jayco and them letting you do the work. The thing with a recall item like this is they have to track if the replacement was actually done and done right. This is why they need a dealer to do it. So do you know how to replace a light. Maybe but Jayco doesn't know if you are an electrician. Let's say they ship out a set of lights to a customer. They get the lights but never get around to installing them. However Jayco marked your camper off as having the recall completed. Then the lights catch fire. An investigation starts. Records show the recall complete. Maybe there is too much damage to tell if it is an old light that got missed or the new design. Do they now have to recall the replacement?

GM got burned by something like this recently. They discovered an issue with the ignition switch where they were wearing out because people hang 10lbs of crap on their key ring. They saw a trend but didn't think much of it and changed the design a bit to correct the issue. Where they screwed up big time was they didn't change the part number. It might have been fine however later down the road people were getting killed when they got into an accident and the air bags didn't deploy. It was investigated and a trend formed. This was traced to the ignition switch as it would deactivate some systems like air bags thinking the vehicle was off even though it wasn't. Feds launch a recall on all ignition switches with a given part number. They were forced to change out all the switches even though the part had been already updated to correct the flaw. This cost them a lot more money than it should have if they had simply given the modified part a new part number.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Good points and I realize a lot of recalls are generated thru trending problems but sometimes it just seems ludicrous. I still contend that not enough is done anymore to real life test anything.
When we buy something we don't buy an item knowing it might be just enough to do what we do, we buy something that at times is probably overkill. The testing of any product needs to be, in my opinion, tested beyond their extremes and for a period of time to cover the what ifs. Anything can break and faulty item can get thru quality control but there's a difference between something made at 4:45p.m. on a Friday getting thru and a design flaw.
Not as much pride anymore, just time versus money and vice versa

Old 06-08-2017, 08:22 AM   #103

Send a message via Skype™ to jamaddox
Reading this post it seems my 2016 WhiteHawk 27DSRL is not affected but my LED lights seem to get very hot when in use. Is it possible other years were affected.
Equalizer WDH with 10k bars
jamaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:44 AM   #104

Call Jayco with ur Vin number to verify

Old 06-08-2017, 01:02 PM   #105

Quote:
Good points and I realize a lot of recalls are generated thru trending problems but sometimes it just seems ludicrous. I still contend that not enough is done anymore to real life test anything.
When we buy something we don't buy an item knowing it might be just enough to do what we do, we buy something that at times is probably overkill. The testing of any product needs to be, in my opinion, tested beyond their extremes and for a period of time to cover the what ifs. Anything can break and faulty item can get thru quality control but there's a difference between something made at 4:45p.m. on a Friday getting thru and a design flaw.
Not as much pride anymore, just time versus money and vice versa

Yeah I agree. It would be nice if things were built better or tested better but I think many time rush to get product out the door gets in the way. Having to cut a corner to save a buck or things get made overseas where they may not have the best trained staff or attention to detail.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:03 PM   #106

Sad world we live in. What's even more confusing sometimes is I have bought the cheaper brand of something to save money and it ends up being better than the high dollar item.

Old 06-08-2017, 04:18 PM   #107

Quote:
Sad world we live in. What's even more confusing sometimes is I have bought the cheaper brand of something to save money and it ends up being better than the high dollar item.

yeah, that NEVER happens to me.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:50 PM   #108

The only way I can get my recalled LED lights replaced is to haul my RV 70 miles back to the dealer. And I don't have a truck that can pull my RV...I use it as a mobile home. I asked the dealer just to give me the replacement lights and I would switch them out myself. The dealer said, "No." Any suggestions on how to proceed?
Phil Harmonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:53 AM   #109

It don't happen a lot with me but when it does life is good

Old 06-09-2017, 05:32 AM   #110

Is the recall still for 2017 models, or has Jayco extended it to other (previous) model years?
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:06 PM   #111

Call them with ur Vin number

Old 06-09-2017, 07:26 PM   #112

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
It does not have to be a Jayco Dealer performing the recall. If there are any dealers closer, they can call to get authorization to do it
Old 06-09-2017, 08:01 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Harmonde View Post
The only way I can get my recalled LED lights replaced is to haul my RV 70 miles back to the dealer. And I don't have a truck that can pull my RV...I use it as a mobile home. I asked the dealer just to give me the replacement lights and I would switch them out myself. The dealer said, "No." Any suggestions on how to proceed?
Call Jayco with your Vin number. Tell them you have no way to move it, and ask to have the parts shipped to you. I have heard of this being done many times.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 02:54 PM   #114

Called dealership today. The service dept. guy had to ask how many lights I needed. Did a walk through while he was on the phone. I've got 18 of those freaking things. The warranty lady called back 45 mins later and said they would have to order them and would call when they arrived to set up an appointment. The wait begins.......
Timbrens
blwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:02 PM   #115

As 2nd owner of 8 month old 2017 23rlsw, hadn't received notice. Called dealer where trailer originally bought and was told I'd be on list after taking my name & number. Not getting warm feeling I called a second dealer who put me on their list too and also that they would be ordering in the necessary 16 lights. Only waited 1 week and all complete, took them all of 2 hours.
Grumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:25 AM   #116

Should have given http://www.valleyrvsupercenter.com shout out, they'll be my goto for service needs
Grumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:23 PM   #117

Angry They will SELL you the lights, but not give them to you!

I asked the dealer to just give me the lights and I would install them myself. The dealer said, "No." But they would SELL me the lights! I bought just one light to see how involved the installation would be. The light itself was $4.25. The freight to the dealer was $10.83! With tax the total was $16.20...four times the cost of the light itself!
Old 06-17-2017, 09:14 PM   #118

In one case on our last rig, we had multiple led lights go bad. I got ahold of the manufacturer of the lights, and they sent me replacements no charge. I bypassed cedar creek. Just a thought. If you can get the specifics on the bad ones and what they're being replaced with, maybe you can try that route.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:35 PM   #119

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Harmonde View Post
I asked the dealer to just give me the lights and I would install them myself. The dealer said, "No." But they would SELL me the lights! I bought just one light to see how involved the installation would be. The light itself was $4.25. The freight to the dealer was $10.83! With tax the total was $16.20...four times the cost of the light itself!
It's a liability issue .... i am a Parts Manager @ a GM Dealership. There is no way i could give you recall parts to install yourself. Recalls happen mainly when there is a safety issue. If you don't install properly, and something happens .... oh my! Now, saying that, there are items that i could sell you that are everyday replacement parts .... i have no idea what you are doing with these parts. It's all comes down to liability!
Old 06-18-2017, 07:46 PM   #120

Thanks!

Thanks! I'll give that a try.