Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-28-2014, 03:35 PM   #1

2015 Seneca Fuel Capacity

2015 Seneca - All manuals say fuel capacity is 79 gallons. Even with fuel lights on I have never been able to fuel more than 48 gallons total in both tanks. First thought is a gauge problem. Wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem before I leave it at a dealer.
Exec-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:13 PM   #2

You can take where ever but. Both tanks flat empty will hold 62 gallons that is all. The tank fills are not at top of tanks. Also I am told the smaller tank has the gauge and they level vertically so more fuel gallons left in large tank. 50 is probably all you can expect.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:40 PM   #3

What if you are both right.

79 USG x 4 / 5 = 63 Imperial Gallons ????
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:47 PM   #4

GreyHawk - Thanks for the Reply. Capacity for only 325 Miles isn't very good when you need truck stops to fuel both sides. Very thankful I didn't rely on math and figure the gauge was wrong and I had 79 gallons to use at 7 MPG. I would have been setting on the side of the road for sure. At least I wont go to the dealer and waste my time to learn the same thing.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:07 AM   #5

Not sure I like this information. Lol Getting ready to pick up new 37TS and that seems like a lot of stoping on the road for fuel. 30 gals from what they say you have is quote a bit........
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:46 PM   #6

I did an 1100 mile trip on three fuel stops, and never once were my tanks empty. I stopped because I do not like parking without fuel, just in case I have to use the gen set. The largest fuel stop was 50 gallons or so and the smallest was 20. I got 8.7 fuel economy. Speed was 65 or slower depending on the windy roads in western Va. I don't think its as bad as it seems, though there is a bit of wasted space in the tanks.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:54 PM   #7
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by RULazy2 View Post
I did an 1100 mile trip on three fuel stops, and never once were my tanks empty. I stopped because I do not like parking without fuel, just in case I have to use the gen set. The largest fuel stop was 50 gallons or so and the smallest was 20. I got 8.7 fuel economy. Speed was 65 or slower depending on the windy roads in western Va. I don't think its as bad as it seems, though there is a bit of wasted space in the tanks.
you must of had two stops at 53 gallons . 53+53+20=126 gallonsx8.7=1100 miles
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:20 PM   #8

RULazy2, good info. I can live with 8.7mpg. What type of rig do you have and were you towing? Picking up 2015 Seneca tomorrow, very excited....
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedog View Post
RULazy2, good info. I can live with 8.7mpg. What type of rig do you have and were you towing? Picking up 2015 Seneca tomorrow, very excited....
I have a 2014 Seneca 37FS. I was towing my little scooter, a Mazda2 on a tow dolly and we were on a 10 day trip so we were loaded for bear. one of my two biggest fuel stops was Danville VA and my 20 galloner was some Pilot on 81N in Winchester VA right before I got into MD I think. We were traveling to Gettysburg. I arrived in Gettysburg and remember telling the wife we did not have to top off because the tanks were reading more than 3/4. On the way back we drove 15S to 470 to 95S, and decided to detour to Williamsburg VA (Cheatham Annex is a really nice camp ground). Stopped in VA for Fuel again (at 3.58 a gallon I was not going to pass it up) before 64E then made it all the way home on that tank. Not a whole lot of idling and I drive reasonable. It was pretty fun and quite surprising. Still and all, I would like to see about putting a bigger tank on...there is some room under the chassis and Freightliner makes a whole load of different tanks for the M2.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:00 AM   #10

That sounds like good fuel mileage. On any of the 3 Cummins I owned, I never saw any improvement until after 50-60 thousand miles. Enjoy and congrats on the rig.
short kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 04:57 PM   #11

Short Kid, my last DP got better mileage than that, but I am more than happy with the mileage. I like the convenience of being able to fill both tanks at the same time as well and having my DEF fill on the pump side. My FIL has a 36TS and is reporting the same mileage over his epic Florida to NC to Indiana to SD to UT to AZ trip which he is absolutely ecstatic about after his 5 mph Foretravel. He also commented on the break in time. What we have been able to find about these newer Cummins is that the break in is not as dramatic as it once was. We were told to expect a slight increase after a few thousand but not like they used to be. Time will tell, I only have 2400 on mine, so I have a bit to go.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:48 AM   #12

RU Lazy2, I thought the same thing about all that wasted space behind the rear axle. Wonder if a 40 0r 50 gallon tank can be installed and piped up to the front tanks?? Any ideas from anyone?
Old 10-06-2014, 03:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhawk885 View Post
You can take where ever but. Both tanks flat empty will hold 62 gallons that is all. The tank fills are not at top of tanks. Also I am told the smaller tank has the gauge and they level vertically so more fuel gallons left in large tank. 50 is probably all you can expect.
So you are saying the Seneca fuel gauge is accurate? With the low fuel light on I could only get 48 gallons in my Seneca. I figured I had almost 30 gallons left. I fill the tanks until the fuel is at the top of the fill opening. With the fuel at this level I dont see room for over 17 more gallons. Guess I need to pump the tanks dry then fill them to find the true capacity.
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 03:18 PM   #14

Of course you don't want to fill the tanks completely, you have to leave room for expansion. So Jayco advertises a 75 or 79 gallon fuel capacity on the Seneca. Now is that tank size or actual fuel capacity? IF you could fill the tanks completely do they hold over 90 gallons but a normal fill to the top of the fill hole leaving room for expansion the capacity is 79 gallons? Or is it 79 gallons and a normal fill to the top of the fill hole 62 gallons? Hmmmmmm.
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:09 PM   #15

If you look by the tanks cap, it will be stamped. My drivers side on my 2014 TS is 34 and the pass. side is stamped 40 gal.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:58 PM   #16

As to the fuel gauge reading, my FL dealer and some others I have spoken to have stated the fuel quantity indicator needs to be calibrated. Basically, there is one part for all different configurations of the fuel tanks on the M2. They might have missed yours and a slight adjustment needs to be made.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:11 PM   #17

We did our first road trip in the new Seneca from OH to NC just before Christmas. On the trip back, I left the interstate (and its plethora of truck stops) in northern WV and headed up a state route with just under 1/4 tank showing on the gauge and about 40 miles to the next Flying J. About 10 miles in, I could watch the gauge dropping. At 20 miles in, the needle was bouncing off E. After enduring another 5 miles of certainty I was going to run out of gas (with the wife glaring at me ), I found a BP station just over the Ohio border that I could squeeze into and put about 20 gal in the driver side tank. I was at 528 miles since the last fill up at that point.

I filled up the rest of the way at a truck stop close to home. In all, I put 61 gallons in with 603.1 on the odometer giving me a respectable 9.9 mpg towing the Honda CRV at 62-64 mph.

My inadvertent exploration of the edge of the envelope on fuel range taught me that 500 miles is probably about as far as I should go between fill ups. It would appear that the real capacity is a bit south of the advertised 79 gallons.
2014 Honda CR-V toad

anav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:00 AM   #18

Have a 2014 Seneca. Fuel gauge is not correct. When the low fuel light comes on, we stop for fuel but still have 1/3 or more fuel in both tanks. Have had it to freightliner and they said there was nothing wrong. I think that the sender is too short for a correct reading. Going to have they check it again when we take it in for they auto brake recall.
Themobiledude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:17 PM   #19

Seneca Fuel Tanks

I traveled 58 miles after the light came on and only put 41 gallons in the tanks today. Full tanks, two of us worked hard to get every possible gallon in on both sides. The gauges are way off or the tanks don't hold what they say they do.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:24 PM   #20

I have just done 4000 miles plus and got 9.5 to 10mpg. with 62 gallons you can go 575 miles and I have. Still most put in was 54 gal. Tow nothing. We rent a car if we need one.