Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-30-2016, 01:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwade View Post
My chains are starting to scratch the paint also. Longer chains may be the answer. Maybe some kind of protective clear tape??
I had some scrap pieces of auto vinyl wrap from my race car lying around and cut some to fit so the cap and chain don't chip the paint. On another note my Seneca was already chipped up from whoever filled it the first time at the dealer. I didn't notice it until I filled the tank.

Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:25 PM   #12

There is more discussion about extensions in the link below
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f5...y-22718-7.html

I am making some trim pieces to protect the fiberglass/ hide the chips & scratches in my fuel fill area. Mine was also badly scratched up by a previous owner and it drives me crazy. I will post some pictures here when I get them finished.

AaronM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 04:35 PM   #13

Dave, I hear you. I wonder if this would be legal to add an extension on the filler spout. The factory may have intended to make it that way for expansion. I think I will make a call to Freightliner.
Mwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:04 PM   #14

We have a 2015 37FK and it has clear plastic protective decal over the paint around the fuel filler cavities. Helps a lot but you still have to be careful.
byrdbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 05:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdbody View Post
We have a 2015 37FK and it has clear plastic protective decal over the paint around the fuel filler cavities. Helps a lot but you still have to be careful.
Here is how I fixed the fuel filler area, as well as the flimsy non-skid pads.
Attached Thumbnails
20161128_121004.jpg  
Toads: 2014 Ford Explorer Sport or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 06:49 AM   #16

Preventing scratches

I am taking my coach tomorrow to have the protective film placed around the fuel fill area to help me avoid scratching the paint and dropping diesel fuel on the paint in this area. The company I'm using uses Llumar film. Jayco or Freightliner put the film on the step and near the def nozzle, but didn't put it in the recessed area of the filler neck. I'm hoping this will also allow me to fuel w/o having to hold the pump the entire time. While I'm there, I'm thinking about having the film placed around the door handles on the cab and the latches for the storage bins. I want the paint looking good for as long as possible.

Former:
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Toad: 2009 Ford Flex
jvteach77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 06:03 AM   #17

Did you enlarge the hole around the filler neck?
Old 12-09-2016, 06:26 PM   #18

I don't see any difference in the photo.
byrdbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 06:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdbody View Post
I don't see any difference in the photo.
If you are referring to my step photo - if you look closely the steps have been shot in non-skid heavy duty truck bedliner, including in the area around the fuel fills. The material is reportedly very durable and impervious to diesel fuel. Time will tell, but I have a lifetime warranty against peeling.

The factory-applied non-skid pads were peeling off and fragmenting, and the painted area around the fuel fills was getting chipped by the big truck nozzles. The picture below is "before". The passenger side was even worse but I don't have a picture of that one.
Attached Thumbnails
Picture #4 driver's cab step non-skid.jpg  
Toads: 2014 Ford Explorer Sport or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:58 AM   #20

On the subject of filling the tanks and trying to keep from scratching the paint in the fill area, my thoughts are you get better with time.

I try to always fill at a Love's or other truck stop with a slave pump on the passenger side.
I carry a pair of leather gloves under the driver's seat in a ziplock bag. I only use them for filling the diesel and DEF.

The procedure that has been working for us, it to start the pump fill on the driver's side. Then start on the passenger side. Keeping an eye on the driver's side, it will shut off first. Complete fill on passenger side filling right to the brim. Put that hose away and put cap back on, on the passenger side. Go back to the driver's side and top that side up.

As far as scratches or chips, I've found that it mostly happens from the chain and mostly when the chain gets twisted. If I take a minute to make sure chain is not twisted, it will lay on the step tread, without chipping or concern.

We have to black base on our 37FS and though there are a few chips, that don't really show or I've gotten use to them.

2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote