Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-16-2017, 02:26 PM   #1

Leveler alarm ... 2015 Greyhawk/Bigfoot

Greetings all,
We have a 2015 Greyhawk 29MV with the Bigfoot leveling system. Frequently, but not always, about 20 minutes down the road after breaking camp the leveling alarm comes on. We find a safe spot, pull over, turn the engine off, retract the levelers again, and get back on the road.

I suspect the road vibration may be breaking contact on one of the limit switches. Mechanics I have spoken to have said they couldn't diagnose the problem unless I brought it In while the alarm was active.

Has anyone else had this issue?

The other thing is that on the control panel, there is a button marked "Emergency Retract". I could not find anything in the documentation about when to use that button or if using it affects normal operation after it is pressed. I suspect it would be used if something failed and auto or manual retract failed, but I don't know. My optimistic side says "it might be what you press while driving if the alarm comes on" ... but my pessimistic side says "don't touch that button until you KNOW what it does!"

Can anyone shed some light on the "Emergency Retract" button?

Thanks!

Regards,

John B.
Gmdjeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 02:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmdjeb View Post
Greetings all,

We have a 2015 Greyhawk 29MV with the Bigfoot leveling system. Frequently, but not always, about 20 minutes down the road after breaking camp the leveling alarm comes on. We find a safe spot, pull over, turn the engine off, retract the levelers again, and get back on the road.

I suspect the road vibration may be breaking contact on one of the limit switches. Mechanics I have spoken to have said they couldn't diagnose the problem unless I brought it In while the alarm was active.

Has anyone else had this issue?

The other thing is that on the control panel, there is a button marked "Emergency Retract". I could not find anything in the documentation about when to use that button or if using it affects normal operation after it is pressed. I suspect it would be used if something failed and auto or manual retract failed, but I don't know. My optimistic side says "it might be what you press while driving if the alarm comes on" ... but my pessimistic side says "don't touch that button until you KNOW what it does!"

Can anyone shed some light on the "Emergency Retract" button?

Thanks!

Regards,

John B.

On my 2017 Greyhawk this was happening to me and it turned out I had a low reservoir. Don't know if that is your problem, but that was mine. I had a small leak in one of the lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:31 PM   #3

Emergency retract just powers all jacks up while it is held down. I use it all the time to accomplish just what you are speaking of. It will operate even with the coach engine running to pull up that creeping jack.

One thing Bigfoot (Quadra) recommends if this issue persists is to slight lower the jack(s) and slip a small rubber vacuum cap over the end of the sensor switch. That 1/8 - 1/4" it extends the switch seems to cure most people's problem. I haven't done it yet, I just send the DW back to momentarily hit that Emergency Retract button!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:09 PM   #4

My driver's side rear retract switch doesn't always make (close). First time the alarm went off after retraction I went around and stuck a little something under the end of each switch rod to see which one was giving me a bad time. I ultimately ended up sticking a small rubber cap on the end of the switch rod and now it makes every time.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:13 AM   #5

Thank you very much! Good thing to check, and I will do that. Thanks!
Old 06-17-2017, 07:14 AM   #6

Thank you for the good information! That will make things easier!
Old 06-17-2017, 07:16 AM   #7

Thanks! I appreciate the tip! Good info.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
Emergency retract just powers all jacks up while it is held down. I use it all the time to accomplish just what you are speaking of. It will operate even with the coach engine running to pull up that creeping jack.

One thing Bigfoot (Quadra) recommends if this issue persists is to slight lower the jack(s) and slip a small rubber vacuum cap over the end of the sensor switch. That 1/8 - 1/4" it extends the switch seems to cure most people's problem. I haven't done it yet, I just send the DW back to momentarily hit that Emergency Retract button!
I added rubber vacuum line caps to the limit switches on our Bigfoot jacks. They greatly reduced the number of false alarms. For those occasional times it still sounds, we use the emergency retract button to snug the jack pads up. And I have checked the levels in each reservoir and they are all filled.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote