Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-09-2017, 07:58 PM   #21

"The difference between the local dealer and the Internet dealer was exactly $14,000. Yes, you heard correctly, FOURTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS! No small change."
I think the local dealer made the decision for you. He doesn't want to sell you the unit.
For $14,000 I'd drive to the internet dealer too.
Congratulations, decision process is over!
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:29 PM   #22

2 years ago, we decided to make a trip to Michigan from Southern Illinois to look at a Seneca at MH2GO ( Motor Homes To Go ) in Grand Rapids. They had the best price and the best selection, 5 out of 6 models on display plus many other Class A's, B's and other Super C's. Bought from them 2 months later.

We've never regretted it. A little bit of a drive for warranty service, but we've only been there twice and we also love to travel. That's why we bought it. And besides, I'll put there work up against anyone's. Had it there in June for a set of awnings on all the windows and a change to a stove with a real oven. Beautiful work!

Go for the deal that feels right and do your research, it pays off.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:15 PM   #23

Don't let the dealers BS you. They know as well as we do that it's a national market. You see their rigs on RV trader? You think they refuse a buyer cause their out of state? It works both ways. They'll service your rig. They have payroll to make. Preferential treatment is an illusion. I got my rig 37% off MSRP. I had to drive it 2000 miles, but it was worth it. Ebay motors is the largest seller worldwide in automobiles, and in the US 80% of the transactions are across state lines. It's just the way it is thanks to the internet.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:18 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by t18skyguy View Post
Don't let the dealers BS you. They know as well as we do that it's a national market. You see their rigs on RV trader? You think they refuse a buyer cause their out of state? It works both ways. They'll service your rig. They have payroll to make. Preferential treatment is an illusion. I got my rig 37% off MSRP. I had to drive it 2000 miles, but it was worth it. Ebay motors is the largest seller worldwide in automobiles, and in the US 80% of the transactions are across state lines. It's just the way it is thanks to the internet.
Absolutly agree!! It is a national market and the smaller dealers are at a distinct disadvantage due to small volume, delivery costs, and limited market. Sorry but that is the way of the world thanks to the hi tech world. Hate it for "Home town" RV but I'm spending my hard earned money and where it makes sense I will buy where I get the best price. Warrantee work may be needed 2 or 3 times but many never see a dealer after the sale. I saved up a list of mostly small items and scheduled a trip to the dealer at the end of the 2 year warrantee. It was not the dealer where I bought the TT and service was excellent and they were easy to work with. I even got a quote from the same dealer but bought on-line for a 35% savings.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:07 AM   #25

I took a second look at the price differences between the two local dealers and the Out-of State/Internet dealer we ended up buying from. Earlier in this thread I said it was $5,000 but upon closer examination and truly comparing Apples to Apples it was more. Here is how it worked out:
Pinnacle 36KPTS
Dealer A: Early 2017 model with only one AC Unit Out the door price with tax title & trade $7,000 more.
Dealer B: Later 2017 model w/some of the newer features like in the 2018 model. Out the Door $8,200 more.
If you were to factor in the difference between a 2017 versus 2018 model year that difference would increase.

Also after the warranty is up then I would be willing to bet the local dealers would be more than happy to work on your RV and take your money.
Good, Bad, or Indifferent the electronic age is here to stay and Internet sales will only get bigger, look at Amazon or even E-Bay for that matter.

Again J.M.H.O.
rdlouks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:54 AM   #26

One might ask where did my $11,000 difference between local and distant dealers come from? Both dealers presented me with a "cash price" and a "trade-in allowance." It split almost exactly down the middle. Distant dealer's cash price was ~$5,500 lower, and their trade-in allowance was ~$5,500 higher. My 2014 Melbourne 29D trade-in had been sold and serviced by the local dealer - not that that meant anything!
chasfenwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:11 AM   #27

Our difference was $750 and a ten hour drive. As that is not an easy drive (east west across New England) and gas and overnight. We went local. We other nearest dealers are all in Canada

Indiana would be ideal. It's a 20 hour one way drive for us
Whether or not to buy local depends on where you are, the number of dealers and how much money is at stake.
Our next bigger unit will be local too. We've developed a relationship with our family owned dealership and like family farms that are local we like to support them
No big repairs. But the dealer is open to phone calls when we seek advice

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:35 PM   #28

Purchasing Locally....

LI-Camper,
"The local Jayco dealer (he sells trailers almost exclusively) couldn't come close to the price that I paid."
I assume you are talking about WES Trailer Sales. I have got to say in their defense that my wife and I went to Hershey 3 years ago and struck a good deal with a show dealer on a 2015 Greyhawk 29MV. The next day we called WES and asked if they would match the deal - they said yes!
I have been very happy with both the motorhome and the dealer
Old 08-10-2017, 01:47 PM   #29

I live in the Albany, NY area, about 10 miles from Albany RV. I bought my current 5er from Fretz RV in Souderstown, PA while attending the RV Show in Hershey, PA.

I know get my unit happily serviced at yet another Jayco dealer, Seven O's outside of Syracuse, NY, almost 140 miles from my house. Not because Albany RV won't or can't do the service, but because I've been screwed by them twice, and I wouldn't trust them to do anything correctly...

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:30 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire_Instructor View Post
I live in the Albany, NY area, about 10 miles from Albany RV. I bought my current 5er from Fretz RV in Souderstown, PA while attending the RV Show in Hershey, PA.

I know get my unit happily serviced at yet another Jayco dealer, Seven O's outside of Syracuse, NY, almost 140 miles from my house. Not because Albany RV won't or can't do the service, but because I've been screwed by them twice, and I wouldn't trust them to do anything correctly...
We have seen this time and time again about dealers, the moral being just because a dealer is close or local does not mean they are good. If you can save several grand driving I say go for it. The way these things depreciate if you over pay initially you are really underwater on the value as opposed to getting 30+ % off ACTUAL MSRP, not a dealer inflated MSRP.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:00 AM   #31

We went out of the area

I felt the need to put my two cents in since we purchased ours from Orlando Rv (RV One) in Florida despite living in The Charlotte, NC area. We had been on the Seneca trail for some time, first starting at MH2GO in Grand Rapids. Let me first start by telling you those guys are honest men, even after we left the sale at the last minute; just chickened out. They arranged honest financing and gave a fair price. We then purchased a TT to make sure the most-time RV lifestyle would work for us. After realizing the distinct disadvantage a TT has over a Seneca (no auto level, no gen, way to much for my Yukon) we started looking at the Seneca again. Local dealer wanted $26,000 more, dealer at the RV show in Hershey wanted $26,500 more (that was with a $5000 Jayco show credit). Finally called the home town dealer from my little town in Johnstown, PA. After they initially wanted $17,000 more, I showed them the Orlando paperwork. The told me that they where making less (I assumed percentages) on my Seneca than they did on a pop-up. They reluctantly agreed to do the deal, although this would be their first Seneca, for $1000 more. Unfortunately the one and only bank they could finance with did not give me a good rate and Orlando won over. They really should have negotiated financing with other lender in today's market.

I got to thinking at this point that the Seneca costs the dealer roughly the same regardless of who they are (rep from Jayco confirmed this without actually saying so). This means that since a dealer charging $25,000 more is taking money directly out of your pocket and putting into his for no reason what so ever; none! You are taking a gamble on the service side, but their where no garrentees before either despite what they say. I think it bothered us so much that these deals wanted to rip that money out of our pockets (Hershey guy never even called back after I emailed him better pricing) that we were determined to go to Florida.

Their are no garrentees with service either way, and they can require a lot of it. For $1000 more I would have purchased off the gentlemen from PA so I had a dealer in that area when we traveled to see family. But when you think another person wants you to hand over your hard earned money for no reason, I say go elsewhere.

Now, the one problem we had. We had flown to Florida Friday for a Saturday delivery needing to be in WV Monday for work. On Saturday we noticed I screw pushing up through the tile. The service man said he would need 90 min to fix (sounds good to us) but he needed authorization from his boss to take the time to fix it. The store owner tried to play a guilt trip on us that if they fixed out brand new Motorhome someone else might not get their unit back for 4th weekend; they wanted us to see a local dealer or come back. We stood our ground and the work was done.

Good luck in your decision!
Old 08-13-2017, 02:25 PM   #32

Just bought Jayco Melbourne 24M....Found lower prices online. Contacted one in California; then figured air fare, fuel cost to drive it home, etc. Then took that price to the local dealer, in Albuquerque, and they came close to matching it. Within $2K, I think it was.
As for service: Local dealer told me if I buy there, I became an "elite" customer, which means I am serviced in front of nonbuyers and drive-ins. Also, I was told they are "thinking about" charging lower rates for "elite" buyers....
I want the local people to know my face when I show up with a problem. I don't want them saying, "Who are you?"
thirdktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:58 PM   #33

If I could find a dealer within 5-7% of a national internet dealer I would use them. In our case the local dealer is albany rv. When I first went on to them they wanted the same prices that a normal dealer would charge. However I had used a Out of state phone number and got a great offer from their national distribution number and they finally agreed to match the internet price. While you have to view this with suspicion, they showed me their costs and explained they were below their normal margins. The internet portion of their business has no fixed location overhead as they pay the delivering location the dealer prep fees. Where the local operation has to cover all the associated cost of the property and labor. Again might have just been blowing me smoke but I think I was able to get a fairly good deal. Now just have to see how the service is.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:58 PM   #34

I wouldn't believe it after almost two years of warranty repairs on my 16 Eagle 321RSTS.We are the last people are dealer ever wants to see! Best of Luck
Attached Thumbnails
DTOP7.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:56 PM   #35

We bought within the state but farther than the local dealer by about an hour. I purchased at the dealer because of the number of service bays they had (28) and the comments from others. I had already decided to purchase from them when they dropped the price of the TT I was going to purchase, so "done deal." I am also mechanically inclined and have made all the repairs myself; leaky connections, cabinet facing coming off, some loose screws, etc. The only reason I am taking back to the dealer is there is a recall on the lighting. I buy most of my accessories on Amazon as they are normally the least expensive and their return policy is awesome. Hope this helps.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:53 PM   #36

An Update :)

Again, thank you all for the comments, ideas, and advice. If you remember, we had a price on a 2018 29MV from an Internet dealer in New York that was $14,000 less than an identical unit from a local dealer. At first glance this is a no-brainer, but as several of you suggested, I called the local dealer and told them exactly what I had and asked what they could do with the price to get our business. Several hours later the call came with the new number, it was now down to within $3,000 of the Internet dealer. The decision now became more difficult!

Of course, the question is do we head 300 miles to New York to a large dealership and save, or do we drive 46 miles to the small family owned local dealership and pay more? I didn't post my dilemma on this forum because it was time for us to make a decision on our own, on how WE felt and what WE should do. So out came the tablet, I drew a line down the middle and we looked at all the pro's and all the con's of both dealers.

I know that half of you would opt for the cost saving at the large NY dealer and the other half would choose the local dealer and pay a little more for the convenience and where you would be a name, not a number. So after hours of deliberations, and a visit to the local dealer today for a test drive in a 2017 29MV just to see how it felt, we signed the papers and ordered our 29MV from the local dealer. Of course, as soon as we were in the car and heading home after signing on the dotted line and committing to a huge expense, we looked at each other and said, "Did we do the right thing?" Yes we did! Due to schedules in the next several months, we asked for a delivery anytime during the month of November, which they feel can be accommodated.

Anyone in the market for a 24 foot Kodiak TT that is in excellent condition? We've got one for sale...
Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:00 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGintys924 View Post
Finally called the home town dealer from my little town in Johnstown, PA.
Thank you for all the information. We appreciate the time it took you to put together all your thoughts and experiences. By the way, my wife's family is from Blair County...Bellwood, Duncansville, Wye Switches, and Geesytown.
Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:38 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love To Travel 2 View Post
So after hours of deliberations, and a visit to the local dealer today for a test drive in a 2017 29MV just to see how it felt, we signed the papers and ordered our 29MV from the local dealer.
Yep - would'a done the same thing.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:23 AM   #39

Hello, I am also looking for a Jayco class C. Live just north of Atlanta. I see you are in SC, do you mind giving the name of the internet dealer? That is an amazing difference in price. Thank you much!
LindaLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:23 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaLew View Post
Hello, I am also looking for a Jayco class C. Live just north of Atlanta. I see you are in SC, do you mind giving the name of the internet dealer? That is an amazing difference in price. Thank you much!

I'm thinking they were speaking of RV One at rvdirect .com. Go online and get a free quote via email. They have a few locations with one being in Albany NY. They have a location in Orlando FL as well.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote