Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-10-2017, 01:41 PM   #1

Yellowstone bound this summer

We are taking the Seneca in late August and headed to Yellowstone NP. I have read other threads about the Yellowstone trip but they seem to be some what dated.
We are leaving from Houston and will be entering the park through Cody WY. on the east side. Any suggestions and ideas on where to stay on the way, what to do or not do, what to expect in late August, or what we need to make sure and not miss. We will be staying at Fishing Bridge in side of the park.
Thanks in advance for any information you think would be helpful.
Rick
Rick-in-Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 02:36 PM   #2

I'm planning a Yellowstone trip for 2018, not sure if you're a FaceBook person, but here is a FB link to Yellowstone Up Close and Personal:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/151866528164424/

Best,
Steve
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 04:23 PM   #3

Be sure to visit the museum in Cody. It takes a full day+ to see all of it. If you want to stop someplace before your Fishing Bridge stay, Buffalo Bill State Park, between Cody and the Yellowstone entrance, is really nice.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:04 PM   #4

We will be headed to YNP the week after memorial day. We are planning a similar route as you once we get out of Nebraska. I believe we will be staying at Colter Bay.
memphis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:44 AM   #5

We will be heading to the Yellowstone/Grand Teton area in Jul for an 8 day stay. Will be the first long trip in our Seneca. We are staying at Colter Bay also.
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:57 AM   #6

Heed the warnings about the dangers presented by trying to get too close to either the wildlife or the hot springs. Other than that, it's a great place to visit.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:34 PM   #7

Weather

Hope you enjoy your stay in Yellowstone. Remember it is very high and elevation and has snowed in nearly every day of the year at one time or another. So be sure you pack cold-weather gear just in case even though it's late August.

Some of my favorite places to go are:
1: Old faithful of course and the lodge
2: The Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone
3: any place off the beaten track. Don't be afraid to explore get on some trails hi to round slow down and just enjoy being there.

Have fun and be safe.
GScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:39 PM   #8

From Mid June to Mid August it is imperative you have reservations anywhere close to a tourist area. That the high season and many places are all ready booked full. Around the 4th is extremely difficult to book a sight in many places out west.

Have a great trip !

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:32 PM   #9

See if they still do wolf sightings up in the Lamar Valley. Take binoculars. We were there about two years after they re-introduced wolves, and we watched them late one afternoon stalking a baby elk. They didn't get to it before it was able to rejoin the herd. A hundred buffalo walking right down the middle of the highway. Two feet away, staring me right in the eye. Old Faithful is great, and the lodge is awesome!
Old 03-11-2017, 10:11 PM   #10

I haven't had a motorhome in Yellowstone for years, but I do live fairly close in Utah and have a cabin close to the west side of the park (I'm sitting there as I write this). Some ideas:

-If you are coming via Denver then take HWY 287 from Fort Collins to Laramie - one of my favorite stretches of road.
-Coming from Cheyenne the find HWY 210 from Cheyenne to where it joins I80 about 40 miles west of Cheyenne. Another beautiful stretch of road.
-If you go through Thermopolis check out their dinosaur museum. It looks like a funky warehouse form the outside, but they've got a lot of unusual stuff. Wyoming is fossil country. Also see the thermal feature in town - it's hard to miss.
-I agree with the museum in Cody. It's actually five museums together in one place. Lots of stuff on Bill Cody, the plains Indians, western artwork and thousands of old guns.
-In the park some absolute must do things - and I do them all several times each year -stop at the Lake Hotel and just go sit in the lobby overlooking the lake. It's a great example of something you'd find near the Great Lakes in the 1900s.
-Artist Point at the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone
-Hike any trail at Norris Junction
-Lunch and a hike at Mammoth Hot Springs
-Must stop at Old Faithful. MUST! - Watch the geyser and walk through the Old Faithful Inn. Nothing like it in the world.
-Walk around the Fountain Paint Trail

Yellowstone is completely unique from any other place on earth. If you have the time, stop at every attraction. I don't think you will get bored!

If you travel south toward Jackson Hole then definitely stop at the Jackson Lake Lodge - just walk in check out the view of the Tetons from the lobby or the porch. Completely beautiful!
If you stay in the Jackson Hole area then plan a dinner at the Bar J Chuckwagon - these guys pioneered the cowboy dinner show and they've been at it for probably 40 years. Great show and good food in the shadow of the Tetons.

If you are coming from the east in the neighborhood of I90 then it's quick and easy to pick up Mount Rushmore, Devils Tower, Sturgis, and the Little Bighorn - all fairly close to each other - if you have the time.

There is so much to see out here. I hope you have a blast!!!
proudfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:37 AM   #11

We are also planning a Yellowstone trip in June. I found this great article on Exploring Yellowstone by RV that you may find worth reading. Gives you all the hi points for touring and also some insight about the roads and mountains to and fro the park.

rvtechmag.com/travel/4_yellowstonebyrv.php?pg=all

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by havnfun View Post
We are also planning a Yellowstone trip in June. I found this great article on Exploring Yellowstone by RV that you may find worth reading. Gives you all the hi points for touring and also some insight about the roads and mountains to and fro the park.

rvtechmag.com/travel/4_yellowstonebyrv.php?pg=all

Happy RVing,
Jeff
What a great informative article, thanks for posting. Certainly highlights the issues of driving in the mountains out west. Many living away from the mountains have no idea of their vastness, ruggedness or how deadly they can be if not respected.

I really suggest anyone heading towards Yellowstone to print this out and heed it's warnings.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote