Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-16-2015, 09:17 AM   #1

17.5" Wheel & Tire Upgrade - why?

I've ready here how many members have upgraded their wheels and tires to 17.5" (e.g., wheels & Goodyear G614s).

I'm curious to know what the reason and advantages there is for doing a 17.5" upgrade over a 16" wheel & G614 upgrade.
Note: this post is not intended to question why individual have done the upgrade, but to better my understanding of the upgrade based on others who have done it.

From my research on Trailer Tires & Wheels, which most point to for the 17.5" upgrade, the 17.5" upgrade costs ~$1,000 more then the 16" upgrade.

The 16" upgrade with the Goodyear G614 LT235/85R16 LR-G tires will give you an increased weight capacity to 3,750 LBS @ 110 PSI.

The 17.5" upgrade with the Goodyear G614 ST215/75R17.5 LR-H tires will give you an increase weight capacity to 4,805 LBS @ 120 PSI

If you have 7,000 lbs rated axles, it seems like the 16" would be more then sufficient.

If your axles are rated higher then 7,000 lbs, I see the value in the 17.5" upgrade.
Are their trailers that have axles rated higher then 7,000 lbs?

As I said, I'm more curious and this post is not intended to question why individual have done the upgrade, but to understand individuals reasons for dong the upgrade for my better understanding.

Thanks
Old 09-16-2015, 09:40 AM   #2

I have not done this upgrade, but did look at it briefly and from what I saw there was an increase in speed ratings with the 17.5. More options for tires, some cheaper than the G614's since they were common for carriers. Where I was running into issues was with the rims, from clearences and bolt patterns. Many options for the little digging I did, but decided to keep my setup as is with a more trusted tire.

My unit came with Blowmax and one went bad so I opted to go to the Maxxis for a few seasons and see where I land. Also I put a TPMS on the trailer tires to keep an eye on them.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:16 PM   #3

I am looking at the 17.5 upgrade, my rims are only good for 80 psi, so I have to purchase new rims, I do believe that you can not have enough tire. I am leaning to the Sailum S637 (made in China) getting very good results in the trucking industry
Old 09-16-2015, 06:18 PM   #4
Site Team

It's good that you are gathering information. Knowing about tires is a great thing for you, your family and your pocketbook.

Most large fifth wheels are supplied with tires that meet the bare limits for load carrying capacity, and the tires are from the low bidder. If there was a good E rated tire available, such as Maxxis 8008's, there would be fewer blowouts. I hear that Jayco now offers a upgrade on their OE now. I would not buy another large fifth wheel or tt without upgraded tires.

I have always went up a load range in the past when replacing tires.My currant rig came with Marathons E rated tires that started separating at 2 years. Goodyear replaced them with the same tire and after 2 years, they started separating. I verified that my rims would handle 110 psi and went with G614's. No more tire problems in over a year.
I am not over weight and do not pull over 65. I also have a TPMS.

I think many that upgrade have to buy new rims so they just get the extra capacity of the 21.5 tires.

I know several folks with Sailun's who are very satisfied with them as well.

I have never had a set of tires wear out, I hope my luck changes with the G614's.

Goodyear is the only dealer I have heard of that stands behind their tires. They have replaced my separated tires several times and paid trailer damages twice. They even allowed me a discount on the G614's after 2 sets of Marathons failed. If you have a failure, save the carcass and take it to a authorized dealer.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:43 AM   #5

I ordered mine with the g rated upgrades. How much taller are the 17.5. Stock tires my height is 13ft 2 inch. Clearance could be an issue
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:40 PM   #6

The advantage to 17.5 is you have a bigger number of options at higher load ratings. That being said, in a 16" wheel, if you get one rated to 110psi (and pay attention to weight) the Sailum S637 are built like a brick house. Literally they weigh about twice as much as what you've got now and have deep tread... If you blow those suckers, you're doing it wrong... So compare the cost of running those to upgrading to 17.5s with associated tires.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote