Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-18-2017, 09:52 AM   #1

Air conditioner

I have a 08 Eagle 30.5RLS,30 amp service with 13,5 btu A/C which living in Northwest Fla area it's not cooling in hot summer. With the ambient temp at 100 degrees it might keep interior 82 degrees nights are great . I am thinking that if I upsize existing unit to 15k btu it might not be enough capacity. Others I have read add 2nd unit in bed rm which I've measured the vent opening and its 14x14 with no wiring. Which way would be my best option?
Glennwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 10:00 AM   #2

At triple digits, a 15k still won't cool a 30' trailer very well.
Those big windows are the #1 issue.

Jay flight 28 RLS here. Last summer at 105°+, it was uncomfortable till sunset.
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 10:37 AM   #3

Our 34' trailer is equipped with a 15btu AC ducted and it will keep up with temps in the lower 90's if all the window shades are down. At 100* plus, probably not. An extra AC is a possibly for you but with 30 amp service, you'll only be able to run one at a time. You could upgrade to 50 amp service which will run both AC's and everything else but that would require a new converter and some rewiring.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 10:45 AM   #4

I agree, steeping up to a 15k unit won't do much in those temps.
That's why I always preach to get dual air and dual pane windows whether you think you will need them or not. You can never have too much. Too little, yes and usually too little is difficult to solve.

If you can fish power to the roof vent, you have two options after that. Upgrade to 50 amp service or run a dedicated 20 amp line (with circuit breaker) so you can plug into the 20 amp outlet on the pedestal while your trailer is plugged into the 30 amp outlet. But not all pedestals have multiple outlets though.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwil View Post
I have a 08 Eagle 30.5RLS,30 amp service with 13,5 btu A/C which living in Northwest Fla area it's not cooling in hot summer. With the ambient temp at 100 degrees it might keep interior 82 degrees nights are great . I am thinking that if I upsize existing unit to 15k btu it might not be enough capacity. Others I have read add 2nd unit in bed rm which I've measured the vent opening and its 14x14 with no wiring. Which way would be my best option?
Not sure I don't think the 15K will help that much more.We live in Arizona and have two 15K on are 16 Eagle.At 100 degrees they barely keeps
up.Then there is the issue of 50 amp service to run both of them.Happy Trails
Attached Thumbnails
Cactus 011.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 12:56 PM   #6

Thanks for the input probably will go ahead with the second AC I'll have to give the electrical some thought really like the idea of a decicated 20 amp circuit for second unit but my luck would be no additional recptical at camp site!
Glennwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:06 PM   #7

As I have said several times before, if one camps south of the Mason/Dixon Line in the summer, one needs a second AC unit in the camper to stay cool.

Adding the second AC to my camper is the best money I have spent on it. I did the second electrical line dedicated to the second AC and plug into the 20 amp plug at the pedestal. Yes, if one camps at a CG that does not have a second electrical leg feeding the pedestal, then one can’t use the second AC. However, I’ve never run into that situation yet. Also, if one does, you are not any worse off than you would be if you did not have the second AC.
For me, before I purchased the AC unit, I removed the inside part of the vent and attempted to fish the wire through the ceiling and down the wall to exit the RV. Once I accomplished that, I purchased the AC unit.
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Cox View Post
As I have said several times before, if one camps south of the Mason/Dixon Line in the summer, one needs a second AC unit in the camper to stay cool.

Adding the second AC to my camper is the best money I have spent on it. I did the second electrical line dedicated to the second AC and plug into the 20 amp plug at the pedestal. Yes, if one camps at a CG that does not have a second electrical leg feeding the pedestal, then one can’t use the second AC. However, I’ve never run into that situation yet. Also, if one does, you are not any worse off than you would be if you did not have the second AC.
For me, before I purchased the AC unit, I removed the inside part of the vent and attempted to fish the wire through the ceiling and down the wall to exit the RV. Once I accomplished that, I purchased the AC unit.

With the second AC are you pretty comfortable on the 90+ degree days? I ask because we pick up a new unit Monday with two 15K AC's and live in Texas. I'm hoping that'll make those hot days comfortable.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 12:06 PM   #9

TxLoser, My primary AC unit is a 15K, the second AC I installed is a 13.5K unit. What I have experienced prior to installing the 2nd unit, on the hot, humid eastern Okla summer camping trips, the primary unit just could not keep up. Once I installed the 2nd, it supplements the primary unit and does not have to be run 24/7.

When I added the 2nd AC, I posted a thread on here documenting the mod. Do a search and read it.

Congrats on the new unit, enjoy

Shorlty
Old 02-19-2017, 12:25 PM   #10

Quote:
TxLoser, My primary AC unit is a 15K, the second AC I installed is a 13.5K unit. What I have experienced prior to installing the 2nd unit, on the hot, humid eastern Okla summer camping trips, the primary unit just could not keep up. Once I installed the 2nd, it supplements the primary unit and does not have to be run 24/7.

When I added the 2nd AC, I posted a thread on here documenting the mod. Do a search and read it.

Shorlty

Thanks. Sounds like the second unit did the trick. Nice install.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 05:43 PM   #11

Glennwill, we went to West Texas after leaving NW FL (not by choice lol) and ended up adding a third AC to our fifth wheel. The configurations that RV manufacturers build toward are not always strong enough for the extreme heat. The 14" vent that you measured is a standard size vent and also standard opening for RV AC units. Our additional unit did not have wiring for power or thermostat so my dealer got creative. We plumbed in a seperate 30 amp circuit through the wall just for the AC and he found one with a built in thermostat and a remote control so we didn't have to connect to the existing thermostat. Both of these features made it alot easier than I expected; the entire install was only about 4 hrs. Ironically, the following model year, my manufacturer offered an additional AC...

2015 Jayco Pinnacle FLSA & 2008 Chevy Duramax

Anxiously awaiting retirement where I have been told everyday is a Saturday
Old 02-19-2017, 06:39 PM   #12

One more thing to consider. Have you cleaned the outside coils? If not, time to wash the grim out of it. Pull the plastic cover, and use a carwash bush and lots of soapy water. No high pressure cleaners. Followed by a good rinse.

Added thought make sure to keep the air filter clean.

Not a substitute for the need of a second AC, but this will help alot.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 06:50 PM   #13

Quote:

Shorlty
Shorty, I tried to find the mod for your 2nd AC but it turned up no results. Wondering what do you need to find it, just was curious to see how you did it.
bogadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 06:57 PM   #14

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7...out-36031.html

Starting from the 4th post down, we begin a discussion about solar shades for your windows. I can attest they do help the heat gain from the windows a great deal.

I ended up putting the button fasteners on after I hemmed and hawed about not wanting to.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogadel View Post
Shorty, I tried to find the mod for your 2nd AC but it turned up no results. Wondering what do you need to find it, just was curious to see how you did it.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...a-12909-2.html

Found it.
Nice job Shorty.
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:38 AM   #16

Vaquero, If the link works, this is the thread. Shorty

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...1-a-12909.html
Old 02-20-2017, 07:51 AM   #17

I'm sorry, I mis-read. It was Bogadel seeking the thread. I didn't even notice the link Vaquero posted. Thank you Vaquero. To early here and have not had my coffee yet!!!