Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-27-2024, 01:37 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
We had a rear tire go bad on the way into Florida yesterday while towing the rig at 63 mph. Came off a bridge on I95 and there was a sharp drop then the truck felt like a death wobble for a few seconds. I slowed down and had a bouncing vibration at 45 mph. We went to a tire shop and sure enough the left tire was misshapen. Belt separated. The set of Nitto’s were 4 years old and all 4 will be replaced tomorrow with Coopers.
Also a front end alignment.

Where on 95 did you have your mishap Norty? Where you still in SC?
Old 03-27-2024, 03:45 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CayennePepper View Post
More power to you if you are still racing in at least your 80's!

I used to own a tire business and have experience with many brands. To me, asking a regular consumer what brand tire is best is like asking what's better, Chevy, Ford or Dodge? Everyone will have a different opinion. Ask a high volume used car dealer and you'll probably get a better informed answer when they talk about customer returns & problems. Same with tires. As CAG said earlier, ask a big dealer like Discount Tire Direct or Tire Rack. Both have highly trained techs on their 800 lines who can help you decide at no cost for their expertise. Both are great at helping you decide. You don't even have to wind up buying from them to get their input. I don't think you should listen to one person who dislikes Michelin because they had one problem. They are one of the best brands overall.
I'm 80 1/2 and drive a Porsche Boxster S which I track up at Watkins Glen every year. I'm always on the lookout for sparsely traveled winding roads! LOL Yea I know off topic.
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 08:48 PM   #23

I’ve run Bridgestone Dueler AT3”s for about 35,000 miles now. Still good for another 10-15,000 miles. Ride well also, which is a plus when you’re running with 80 pounds in the tires…..
Old 03-28-2024, 08:01 AM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
Where on 95 did you have your mishap Norty? Where you still in SC?
We were just into Florida on I95. Several of those bridges along there seem to have a drop off headed into fl.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 01:46 PM   #25

Yes they do, sorry to hear that. At least it didn't let go on you at 63 MPH. We are headed to Savannah, Creekfire RV Park, middle of next month.
Old 03-28-2024, 04:41 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
Yes they do, sorry to hear that. At least it didn't let go on you at 63 MPH. We are headed to Savannah, Creekfire RV Park, middle of next month.
I never lost pressure on the tire.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 03-28-2024, 04:43 PM   #27
Site Team

Norty, what model Cooper did you get for your truck?
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 09:06 PM   #28

My 2011 3500 drw came with Michelin LXT MS2'S on it from the factory and had to replace them around 50k. Normal mileage wear since all it did was pull. Replaced them with the same. My 2015 3500 drw came with the same exact tires. Had to replace them a bit early due to an issue with the truck that made them wear unevenly. Michelin doesn't make them anymore so I put on a set of Michelin Cross Climate on the advise of my local Discount Tire, which I've been a very long time customer of and purchased MANY sets of tires from. I hated those tires right from the start. Ended up taking them back and that's when things went south very fast. They put me in a set of Contentinal's that have a very, very similar tread pattern as the LXT MS2's. At least 4 of the 6 on the truck were defective and DT first tried blaming my wheels. Proved them wrong on that, so they replaced 2 of them. The shaking issue was better but not to the point of even being tolerable while driving. Caught them in a flat out lie and at that point the guy basically blew me off and went on to serve another customer. That got them a strongly worded email to corporate and that was the last time I'll ever set foot in any DT again. I also contacted Contentinal and they basically told me too bad so sad and go back to DT about it.
On a good note, I did speak with a tire engineer at Michelin and he told me they are working on a replacement tire for the LTX MS2's that will hold up to the abuse that diesels give out. He said the gas powered trucks get good wear mileage out of them but the diesels just eat them alive.
So, I'll run and tolerate these junk Contentinal's until Michelin makes the replacements.
I also have an 01 Yukon XL with Michelin Defenders on it and they are holding up pretty well. I'll get the mileage they are rated for and that'll be about it. And when they need to be replaced it'll be another set of Michelin's but NOT from DT.
Just my $.02 worth.
Old 03-29-2024, 06:14 AM   #29

For my last three trucks I have only run BFG All Terrain TA/KO. Amazing tires, aggressive treads, great tread life but a little louder on the highway than your traditional highway tire. I’ve run these on my off-road truck too and really put them to the test and they never let me down.
tnka trk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 12:06 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
My 2011 3500 drw came with Michelin LXT MS2'S on it from the factory and had to replace them around 50k. Normal mileage wear since all it did was pull. Replaced them with the same. My 2015 3500 drw came with the same exact tires. Had to replace them a bit early due to an issue with the truck that made them wear unevenly. Michelin doesn't make them anymore so I put on a set of Michelin Cross Climate on the advise of my local Discount Tire, which I've been a very long time customer of and purchased MANY sets of tires from. I hated those tires right from the start. Ended up taking them back and that's when things went south very fast. They put me in a set of Contentinal's that have a very, very similar tread pattern as the LXT MS2's. At least 4 of the 6 on the truck were defective and DT first tried blaming my wheels. Proved them wrong on that, so they replaced 2 of them. The shaking issue was better but not to the point of even being tolerable while driving. Caught them in a flat out lie and at that point the guy basically blew me off and went on to serve another customer. That got them a strongly worded email to corporate and that was the last time I'll ever set foot in any DT again. I also contacted Contentinal and they basically told me too bad so sad and go back to DT about it.
On a good note, I did speak with a tire engineer at Michelin and he told me they are working on a replacement tire for the LTX MS2's that will hold up to the abuse that diesels give out. He said the gas powered trucks get good wear mileage out of them but the diesels just eat them alive.
So, I'll run and tolerate these junk Contentinal's until Michelin makes the replacements.
I also have an 01 Yukon XL with Michelin Defenders on it and they are holding up pretty well. I'll get the mileage they are rated for and that'll be about it. And when they need to be replaced it'll be another set of Michelin's but NOT from DT.
Just my $.02 worth.
I've been getting my Michelins at Costco. Although I've never had a tire problem, their return and customer service policy is second to none.
camjam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 12:17 PM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Norty, what model Cooper did you get for your truck?
Discoverer XLT AT3 size LT275/65R20. So far they are smooth and quiet. We will tow home the rig with them Monday and Tuesday.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 03-29-2024, 03:32 PM   #32

I got about 2000 miles of towing in with these same tires. Same size. I really like them overall. I run 60/60 when empty and the ride is great. 80 rear towing and still a nice ride. Only complaint I have and it’s not a fault of the tire. Just the type. They do get a little squirmy in crosswinds towing. Today I had winds at 19 gusting to 39. I could feel it squirming on the big lugs.

Used them for some light off-road work last week aired down to 60/50. They did great.

Good all around tire. May compromise a little towing with the squirm. But I’m used to it now. My previous Good Year Wranglers squirmed a little more. Especially when new and tread lugs were larger.
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 06:05 AM   #33

NO CHINA BOMBS and always use TPMS. SOLVED
Edutron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 06:12 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1kpender View Post
I personally like the BF Goodrich all terrain tires!
These are good tires but are probably the hardest, most rough riding tires I’ve ever had. That’s a good thing at times but mostly not so good if ride is an issue. I didn’t realize it until I went to a set of Goodyear Wranger AT with Kevlar. Huge difference in ride. Still E rated tire too.
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 06:15 AM   #35

I just bought a set of Goodyear Wranglers with Kevlar. I’ve gotten over 80k out of a set of Wranglers on a 1/2 ton so wanted to give them a shot on a 2500.

What was interesting I found that ordering from Goodyear.com was almost 200 bucks cheaper for a set of 4 than Discount Tire and they came to my house and installed the new tires. Pretty sweet deal!
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 06:54 AM   #36

Quote:
We were just into Florida on I95. Several of those bridges along there seem to have a drop off headed into fl.
I hate pulling the 5th wheel on I-95. I will go up I-75 even if it is a little out of the way.
camjam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 09:11 AM   #37

My 2019 F-250 came with Continentals and they were scary on wet roads. Switched to Michelins, which I’ve used on several trucks and vans, and am much happier. I use the reviews and ratings at tirerack.com

2019 Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MBOK
2019 Ford F-250 King Ranch diesel

2015 Jayco X23B (sold)
2008 Jayco 23B (sold)
2010 Ford F-150 King Ranch (sold)
Rayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 11:46 AM   #38
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry713 View Post
I just bought a set of Goodyear Wranglers with Kevlar. I’ve gotten over 80k out of a set of Wranglers on a 1/2 ton so wanted to give them a shot on a 2500.

What was interesting I found that ordering from Goodyear.com was almost 200 bucks cheaper for a set of 4 than Discount Tire and they came to my house and installed the new tires. Pretty sweet deal!

Those were likely the best tires I have had and I had them on the Jeep and they got beat to death on some very bad back trails.

Discount will price match and you won't have to worry that they may not show up to take care of a rotation/rebalance. Those are always free at Discount, just saying.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 06:59 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Welcome to the JOF! One of the best tires for me is the Cooper Discovery a/t's III, but I think that if you stay with the poplar brands out there you want have any problem and alse different tires is for different purpose. What are you looking for in a tire, the Cooper for me give me a mix of terrain.
x2
Dunegoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 12:12 AM   #40

Quote:
Discoverer XLT AT3 size LT275/65R20. So far they are smooth and quiet. We will tow home the rig with them Monday and Tuesday.

These is what I have been running on my last three truck and when the ones I have now wear down I will be getting them again.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote