Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-18-2013, 08:31 PM   #1

Eagle 30.5 RLS

I'm seriously considering moving up to this fiver from our Jayco TT. Anyone have this model? What are your thought or advise?
I need all the help I can get.
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #2

I have a 2012 & it has the best floor layout of them all. It pulls behind with no wind resistance that I can notice.
matt1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:14 AM   #3

We are in the process of purchasing a new 2012 30.5. RLS. Getting a great deal because it's the only 2012 left on the dealers lot. We are very excited! We have a 2012 F250 super duty 6.7L power stroke w/3.55 ratio. It has a short bed. The trailer has a mor ryde pin & the dealer says we need a slider hitch. Can someone explain exactly what a slider hitch is & assure me this set up will work with my truck?

Thanks,
Josie
AZ Campers
AZ Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:37 AM   #4

Normally, on a long bed P/U, the 5th wheel hitch is positioned directly over the rear axle of the truck. In addition to putting the pin weight on the axle, this position allows tight turns when maneuvering without the front cap of the 5er contacting the truck cab. When you have a short bed truck, you still want the hitch directly over the rear axle, but on tight turns, you are more likely to strike the truck cab with the trailer. The slider hitch allows you to slide the pin toward the rear of the truck when you get to the CG, allowing more clearance for tight turns. Hope this helps.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:44 PM   #5

Our truck's bed actually is 6ft 9 in., not a 5 ft short bed. We've been told we need a sliding hitch & also told we don't need a slider. We are first time 5ers & don't know which way to go. We pick the trailer up on March 12th. What do you think?

2012 F-250 6.7L power stroke crew cab 4wd
2012 Jayco ultralite 30.5 RLS
Matt & Josie
27 months till retirement
AZ Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:23 AM   #6

The 6' 9" bed will definitely help on the clearance issue. However, to be sure, I would back the truck under the 5er at an angle of approx 45 degrees, watching carefully, and position the hitch pin directly over the center of the rear axle. Then measure the distance between the corner of the front cap and the truck cab. If that distance is less than 1 foot, you will probably need a slider. If more, then you probably will not have to have the slider. JMHO, without actually seeing the unit. Again, the purpose of the slider is to move the pin distance toward the rear when you are maneuvering with tight turns in a CG, so the 5er will not hit the truck cab. Then when you are on the road, the slider puts the pin back over the axle for traveling. Hope this helps.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:59 PM   #7

Location: Burson, CA In the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mts.
If you were to get the B&W with the companion hitch and find that you will need a slider (Im betting you wont) you could always switch over to their new sliding base. This will give you one of the best hitches on the market and their new sliding base. Win Win. I dont work for B&W just a very happy B&W owner.

Steve

Steve, Berne and Rascal
2012 Jayco 31.5 RLTS
2007 F250 Powerstroke
Panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #8

2013 Eagle 30.5 RLS

We picked up our 2013 Eagle in June, 2012. Mostly very happy with it. Easy to tow, lots of room for 2 of us, great layout. First trip out the rear leveling legs motor failed. Easy to get it replaced but we had to take it to a dealer, they order the new motor, and then another trip back for the installation. Screen on the curbside rear kept falling out. Window wasn't square but the screen was. Had to have the window replaced. Hope that's the end of the issues. It's been sitting since Oct waiting for next trip. Might be able to go south in March.
TooTall is offline   Reply With Quote