Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-04-2016, 04:33 PM   #41

HEAVY MOTHER

EXCELLENT HITCH
Old 01-04-2016, 04:45 PM   #42

Agree. Love my b&w!
Old 01-04-2016, 05:15 PM   #43

pic's of my Andersen Ultimate's chain setup

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0471.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	296.1 KB
ID:	21383

Name:	IMG_0472.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	284.7 KB
ID:	21384

Name:	IMG_0476.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	278.6 KB
ID:	21385
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 05:21 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ela1948 View Post
I assume you realize that those brackets are good for a few hundred pounds at most?
Cdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 05:26 PM   #45

Because the frame covered up the pucks on my 350 Ford, the above was what I did to get an attachment to something other then the Ultimates frame. Andersen was suggesting to wrap the safety chains around the pedestal of the hitch or take it to a frame shop to have other tie down lugs placed in the floor. My main concern was having an independent lug for the trailer brake cable. Although the lugs are not thru the frame, they are more then capable of slowing down a trailer in the event of a gooseneck ball failure.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:28 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdash View Post
I assume you realize that those brackets are good for a few hundred pounds at most?
The trailer brake cable was my main concern. The brake cable is set to pull before any other weight hits the chains
Old 01-04-2016, 05:34 PM   #47

Quote:
Because the frame covered up the pucks on my 350 Ford, the above was what I did to get an attachment to something other then the Ultimates frame. Andersen was suggesting to wrap the safety chains around the pedestal of the hitch or take it to a frame shop to have other tie down lugs placed in the floor. My main concern was having an independent lug for the trailer brake cable. Although the lugs are not thru the frame, they are more then capable of slowing down a trailer in the event of a gooseneck ball failure.
I would think if anything was gonna fail with the Andersen it would be either the ball or the king pin block. I don't think the hitch itself would go anywhere. I wouldn't hesitate chaining around the pedestal. Thanks for the pics! Can't wait to hear how it towed.
Kevin O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:15 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin O. View Post
I would think if anything was gonna fail with the Andersen it would be either the ball or the king pin block. I don't think the hitch itself would go anywhere. I wouldn't hesitate chaining around the pedestal. Thanks for the pics! Can't wait to hear how it towed.

The pin holding the ball failed first when they did the crush test. The crust test begins at 5:10 in this video.

etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:48 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
The pin holding the ball failed first when they did the crush test. The crust test begins at 5:10 in this video.

I understand the hitch better watching this. I wonder though, what keeps the coupler block from spinning around? If the king pin is behind the ball while towing and you jam on the brakes, what keeps the coupler block from spinning so that the kingpin would go to the front of the ball? That would be a scary thump!

I don't like their test - marketing hype. The tested hitch didn't look like it had the same offset as the one being used in all the previous shots. That offset would affect the results significantly. The test wasn't done on a flat surface, and the most severe loads will be perpendicular to the direction they loaded. Not saying it will fail, but that the test isn't too representative of the in use strength. Also concerning that the ball failed first. It should be extremely strong in that axis, and it was, but the failure was very abrupt, which is undesirable. It would break a lot lower with a lateral load on it. I would question if it would provide an adequate factor of safety at their listed capacities. The failure of the frame was better as is bent and distorted without breaking. You'd see an issue before it broke (hopefully).

I would also expect that it would cause higher loads on the rear axle of the tow vehicle and unloading of the front axle since it is pushing the center of the hitch back from the ball. Again, not bad, but something that could bite someone close on weights.

I see the draw, it's pretty slick, but I'm not sure I'd invest in it.
Cdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:02 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdash View Post
I understand the hitch better watching this. I wonder though, what keeps the coupler block from spinning around? If the king pin is behind the ball while towing and you jam on the brakes, what keeps the coupler block from spinning so that the kingpin would go to the front of the ball? That would be a scary thump!

I don't like their test - marketing hype. The tested hitch didn't look like it had the same offset as the one being used in all the previous shots. That offset would affect the results significantly. The test wasn't done on a flat surface, and the most severe loads will be perpendicular to the direction they loaded. Not saying it will fail, but that the test isn't too representative of the in use strength. Also concerning that the ball failed first. It should be extremely strong in that axis, and it was, but the failure was very abrupt, which is undesirable. It would break a lot lower with a lateral load on it. I would question if it would provide an adequate factor of safety at their listed capacities. The failure of the frame was better as is bent and distorted without breaking. You'd see an issue before it broke (hopefully).

I would also expect that it would cause higher loads on the rear axle of the tow vehicle and unloading of the front axle since it is pushing the center of the hitch back from the ball. Again, not bad, but something that could bite someone close on weights.

I see the draw, it's pretty slick, but I'm not sure I'd invest in it.
The coupler has 4 set screws on it that keep it from spinning. I have talked to a couple guys on rv.net that are using it with there 20,000lbs+ trailers and love it. I have not found one negative review on the hitch. And there is over 10,000 units on the road!

Kevin
Old 01-05-2016, 05:43 PM   #51

Quote:
Kevin, i have towed with a pullrite superslide for well over 10,000 miles. There is significant difference between the pullrite and the Andersen. When pulling straight which is 99% of the time, the center of gravity is 3 or 4 inches ahead of the rear axle on the pullrite. That means that there is some weight being transferred to the front axle of the truck. With the Andersen, the center of gravity is 1 or two inches back of the rear axle. Translates to some weight being taken off the front axle. It became apparent to me that the truck tended to want to wander on the road more then the truck did with the pullrite. It wasn't terrible or even unsafe but it is tiring over the course of a days driving. This is not to berate the Andersen but just to give you facts. It's possible that if someone had not pulled with both, may not recognize the issue. It is clearly there tho. An inexpensive stationary hitch that will allow you to make tight turns without danger of hitting the truck has to have a down side. I think that it very well built, easy to install, relatively easy to hook to and unhook from!! I'm certainly going to use it some more before I make any more evaluations. I like the hitch but I do have some reservations. I'll give a better report after we return from our trip.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:40 PM   #52

Quote:
Kevin, i have towed with a pullrite superslide for well over 10,000 miles. There is significant difference between the pullrite and the Andersen. When pulling straight which is 99% of the time, the center of gravity is 3 or 4 inches ahead of the rear axle on the pullrite. That means that there is some weight being transferred to the front axle of the truck. With the Andersen, the center of gravity is 1 or two inches back of the rear axle. Translates to some weight being taken off the front axle. It became apparent to me that the truck tended to want to wander on the road more then the truck did with the pullrite. It wasn't terrible or even unsafe but it is tiring over the course of a days driving. This is not to berate the Andersen but just to give you facts. It's possible that if someone had not pulled with both, may not recognize the issue. It is clearly there tho. An inexpensive stationary hitch that will allow you to make tight turns without danger of hitting the truck has to have a down side. I think that it very well built, easy to install, relatively easy to hook to and unhook from!! I'm certainly going to use it some more before I make any more evaluations. I like the hitch but I do have some reservations. I'll give a better report after we return from our trip.
Thanks for the feedback! What if you spun the king pin block around and have the ball mount behind the king pin versus in front? How is the clearance between the trailer and cab of the truck on sharp turns?
Old 01-05-2016, 07:36 PM   #53

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback! What if you spun the king pin block around and have the ball mount behind the king pin versus in front? How is the clearance between the trailer and cab of the truck on sharp turns?
That would not change the center of gravity. The ball on the hitch determines where the load is on the truck. I am comfortable that there would be no contact on tight turns with the present setup. 6 in. closer switching the block would have me very nervous. It would be pretty close now with a full 90 degree turn. But in all the years I've towed, I can't ever remember much more then 70 degrees backing in.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:06 AM   #54

I just saw this video of The "Tow All".

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:41 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNChelle View Post

I just saw this video of The "Tow All".
Would this qualify as a "Double Tow"?
Pretty interesting tho. Wonder if the height is adjustable, his 5th is level but doesn't look like it would clear the bed rails if he used a conventional in-bed hitch. Also looks like the total length gets about 6' added.
Anyone see one of these on the road?

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:36 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post

I'm sure that is up for interpretation by each officer. Who knows what they'd think.

Comparison wise, in Michigan, dump trucks and semis use those under the rear trailer and Michigan does NOT allow three trailers, so it shouldn't be a separate unit. But again, it is all up to the individual officers interpretation.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:56 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Pretty interesting tho. Wonder if the height is adjustable, his 5th is level but doesn't look like it would clear the bed rails if he used a conventional in-bed hitch. Also looks like the total length gets about 6' added.
Anyone see one of these on the road?
I did see one like this. No way to know if it was the same brand or a 'home brew.' It was in traffic and less than highway speed and didn't have a long look so I have no idea how it behaved.

Two things about this: In the video he says it is a 'steerable' front axle and he shows it has an axle lock to reduce sway. I wonder about the stability of this combination.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:50 PM   #58

What it qualifies as is garbage.

Hook your fifth wheel up to a system that is pulled traditionally.
Dynamics change completely and yes this to me seems like a double tow system. Bumper to gooseneck/5er yeah ok. Now you have a fifth wheel WAY further back etc. how about a big crosswind or a tight back up and turning radius.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:04 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrtEmaxChvy View Post
What it qualifies as is garbage.

Hook your fifth wheel up to a system that is pulled traditionally.
Dynamics change completely and yes this to me seems like a double tow system. Bumper to gooseneck/5er yeah ok. Now you have a fifth wheel WAY further back etc. how about a big crosswind or a tight back up and turning radius.
Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking.
It looks like the towing axle steers by using the chains (stabilizer chains is what I think he called them) and it looked like he cranked them pretty tight. If they weren't tight enough I'd really wonder about stability. I'd like to see one (from a safe distance) bopping down the Interstate at 60mph with a 20mph X-wind.

A bit of off-topic but watching "The Long Long Trailer" I saw some kind of "bogey wheel" tucked under the hitch which I figured was keeping the rear bumper from dragging on the roadway. Must be the 50's version of a WDH.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 04:02 PM   #60

Quote:
After towing with the Andersen for 1300 miles, I have a little different perspective of the hitch and it's capabilities. The first two days we were on the road was windy conditions. I had said that the truck wandered more then with the pullrite automatic that I had used before. The last three days have been little or no wind and the wandering condition has not been there. The hitch has performed very well. I have had to back into several tight spots requiring tight angles and hard turns. At the tightest turn backing, I stopped and measured. 10 inches was between the truck and fifth wheel. I'm confident that there would never be contact under normal conditions. The pullrite would still be the better hitch under all conditions because it does transfer some weight to the front axle which the Andersen clearly does not. Having said that, I have no intention of changing to anything else on my return home. My biggest concern is that everything depends on the gooseneck ball staying attached to the truck. The Reese system that I have is held in place by a pair large ball bearings that are pressed into a groove on the receiver. Probably very strong or Reese wouldn't have that type of system in place. I would feel more secure if the ball was secured by a horizontal pin that held the ball into the receiver. I do believe that if I had stayed with a F250 truck, there would have been too much of a load on the rear axle with my trailer. My pin weight is 2500 lb. it would have put all the weight on the rear axle which would have made a tail heavy condition. Fortunately, thru dumb luck and not foresight, I went to a 350 which has substantially heavier axle and springs. All said, I'm not disappointed with the Andersen Ultimate.